inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    After being "banished" from Star City in the last volume, Oliver Queen, The Green Arrow, has taken refuge in the center of the demolished Star City, which has become a lush forest, and a dangerous place for criminals.

The Good

Where to start? As you may know, Green Arrow has been getting pooped on the past few months, with the most recent pooping being that Green Arrow was banished from Star City, but obviously, that didn't stop him. This book has turned into what I always hoped Green Arrow would turn into, at least since I started reading: Robin Hood. Yes, Oliver is now Robin Hood, and it is awesome. At the same time, Queen Industries has been bought out by Isabel Rochev, a woman who looks like a cross between a Final Fantasy Game and an expedition to Antarctica, and it looks like the new direction she's taking Queen Industries into is going to be awesome. This is also a Brightest Day tie-in, but one that works. Why is Star City in ruins, while the forest thrives? I love almost everything about this issue, especially the cover done by Mauro Cascioli. This issue may all just be set-up for this on-going series, but it is amazing set-up at that. J.T. Krul is a writer who has really surprised me in the past months. I had never heard of him, and he's quickly become one of my favorite writers simply because of all the work he's done on the Green Arrow series, and a few of the tie-ins. (and also the two JSA Classified issues he worked on)

The Bad

Why is this a new volume? This is Green Arrow's 5th volume now. I know that everything has changed for Ollie, but I still feel this is a continuation of the last series. Nevertheless, that's hardly a complaint. However, new readers won't know what is going on since you really need to read up on about a year of stories to understand how Ollie got to where he is now.

The Verdict: 4.5/5 - Pick of the Week!

I usually don't get to give books I review the "Pick of the week" stamp because something else in my pile of books, that wasn't on my list of things to review, is just better. Even more so, the first issue of a new series usually doesn't get that stamp simply because most first issues are nothing more than set-up, but this issue was easily the best thing I've read in weeks. And although I've personally been overly annoyed with the amount of times I've read those first few pages, which were in the band of what seemed like every DC book the past few months, I forgot all about that when reading through this. This is a must buy for and DC, Green Arrow, or Robin Hood fan. This would have gotten 5/5, but I felt that a new reader couldn't just pick this series up and understand what's going on. For me, it's a 5/5 though, but I'm always trying to keep the average reader in mind. 
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NightFang3

I might just pick this issue up.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

It sounds awesome.
    shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By shawn87

love Green Arrow...cant wait to read this

CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By CaptainUseless
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " It sounds awesome. "
    Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Bobby X

reeeeally have no room and my pull list...but i must have this!
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I've been catching up on Green arrow by reading the other volumes. I still think he's a jackass, but the issues I've been reading are pretty good so far. I'm still skeptical about picking this up just because of the recent events. I may give it a look.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sora_thekey
    @inferiorego: I wanted to pick this up...  but:

"This would have gotten 5/5, but I felt that a new reader couldn't just pick this series up and understand what's going on."

So would I be really lost? 'Cause I haven't read a single Green Arrow/Black Canary issue so...? 
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By longbowhunter

Love to hear this is pick of the week. Going on my comic run now!
    Roehm21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Roehm21

Alright, some Ollie love. Going to go grab this up tomorrow afternoon. One of my favorite comic book covers.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @sora_thekey said:
    " @inferiorego: I wanted to pick this up...  but:

"This would have gotten 5/5, but I felt that a new reader couldn't just pick this series up and understand what's going on."

So would I be really lost? 'Cause I haven't read a single Green Arrow/Black Canary issue so...?  "
    Mainly you'd need to read Cry for Justice, and the Justice League Green Arrow book tie-ins afterwords
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Namor1987

Green Hood lol

Caliber268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Caliber268

I am totally picking this issue up!  I LOVE Robin Hood

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By greenenvy

Sweet because the whole reason I like green arrow because I like the robin hood legends as well and green never looked bad ass especially that it  got greener because we got a awesome forest as his playground. Green arrow being more wicked with more robin hood to it well I am damn sold. 

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By Dracade102

Awesome Sauce.
    Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aquamariner

Not fit for new readers? Really? Damn... I wanted to pick this up, but I hate being lost just 'cuz the writer didn't give a #"$"@ about new readers. Or Can i pick it up even if I haven't read anything other than the Blackest Night tie-in from the previous series?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Aquamariner said:
    " Not fit for new readers? Really? Damn... I wanted to pick this up, but I hate being lost just 'cuz the writer didn't give a #"$"@ about new readers. Or Can i pick it up even if I haven't read anything other than the Blackest Night tie-in from the previous series? "
    You don't need to have read Blackest Night in order to understand this book. However, earlier Green Arrow issues, from the end of the last volume, would help, as well as Justice League Cry for Justice
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By longbowhunter

Just got home and of course this was top of my read pile. REALLY good! Especially compared to where GA/BC has been for the last year or more. There are a lot of things being set up here and I'm happy to see where all of them go. Suprised to see Nucocerda taken out so soon. I really thought he was gonna' play main antagonist in the new series. Anxious to if Krul has plans on building Ollie a real rogues gallery.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Theodore

Can't wait to read this, glad to see it's pick of the week!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By danhimself

Absolutely loved this issue!!!!   I'm not surprised by that either.  Despite what everyone else has been saying I've loved the Rise and Fall of Arsenal stuff by Krul and I'm super excited for him to start writing Teen Titans.  He really has been the break out writer of the year.

jdiamand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jdiamand

Yes - a definite must read, must have. welcome back Ollie!

cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By cadaver

It was great! makes up for the poor last series.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By geraldthesloth

Didn't like it at all.

roxamilli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By roxamilli

this was the first time i ever bought Green Arrow, i liked it. the story was easy to follow if your just kinda aware of blackest night and cry for justice. amazing art and a good read
    Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aquamariner

Read it and it was GREAT! 4.5 /5 as well. And you DON'T need to have read anything that came before this. You just need to know that Star City went trough some cataclysm and it went straight to hell. that's It.  

The only thing I don't really like much is the "new" costume. I prefered the one he wore way back when Kevin smith brought him back. 

Other than that, it's one of the best things coming out of Brightest Day... heh.. Even better than BD itself, I'd say!

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got around to picking this up today and it is FANTASTIC! I am probably gonna go pick up 2 and 3 in the near future and add this to my ever-growing pull list.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.