Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

Why Green Arrow Deserves Jeff Lemire

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Edited By slade_wilson

While I am far from the biggest Green Arrow fan around, I have had a love for the character ever since I saw him pulling back a bow inside a comic book (I can't recall what exact issue it was). See, ever since I was little, I wanted to be an archer. A good friend of my father was a competitive archer and at a very early age, I was letting arrows fly across the yard. My favorite movie until I was eight was Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn. Seeing a regular guy fight off evil doing the same thing I did in my backyard was the coolest thing I could have possibly imagined. What could make this better? How about the same thing, but doing it alongside my other childhood idols, Batman and Superman? Seriously, I freaked out when I saw Green Arrow for the first time. As the years have passed, I have remained a dedicated fan, picking up back issues from Mike Grell's amazing run on the title. To me, Green Arrow is much more than Batman with a bow; he is the manifestation of everything I loved as a child. He is an outspoken activist, executive, and leader. He puts his heart on the line and never regrets it. He is gritty, he is real, he is a man who earned his rights and his name. And that is precisely why I stopped reading the New 52's Green Arrow. Though the first arc was tolerable, it lacked the genuineness of Oliver Queen. He wielded a bow and patrolled Star City, but the similarities really end there. It was, to be frank, a kind of "blah" effort. It really did not feel like Ollie at all. And the second and subsequent arcs horrified me to the point of quitting all together. Ann Nocenti has put forth one of the weakest efforts as a writer on all of her titles I have ever seen. And I'm sorry Harvey Tolibao, but abstract art has no place in comic books. After four months (three enjoying the terrific Hawkeye!), my wish for a better Green Arrow is on track to coming true. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined one of DC’s top three writers assigned to write for Ollie Queen. A longtime fan of Jeff's work, I am confident that this title will rise from the ashes and "wow" me as much as the new TV series, Arrow, has (seriously, it's a great show). Jeff has said he will try to channel Grell's success and promises a "hard-hitting, thriller/action/crime book". But we can't stop there, because beyond-amazing artist Andrea Sorrentino has signed on for art duties. So, as I gear up for another episode of Arrow, hopefully featuring yours truly, I ask the same question as I did as a child: How can this get better? Hopefully, we'll get our answer in February of 2013.

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlueArrow

If my "name" on this site is any indication, GA is probably my favorite character and I cannot wait for this. Even knowing how bad the comics were, I still bought them only because I am such a green arrow fan,

No Caption Provided

The cover looks bad ass, Jeff Lemire is freaking badass,(the first trade of Frankenstein was so good and went so downhill when Jeff left opposite for JLD) and this I, Vampire artist is freaking badass, gonna be real interesting to see what this artist can do with GA, because their art looks perfect for I,Vampire. I cannot freaking wait!!!!!

Oh and read what Jeff wrote:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/11/05/jeff-lemire-green-arrow/

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sethysquare

@BlueArrow said:

If my "name" on this site is any indication, GA is probably my favorite character and I cannot wait for this. Even knowing how bad the comics were, I still bought them only because I am such a green arrow fan,

No Caption Provided

The cover looks bad ass, Jeff Lemire is freaking badass,(the first trade of Frankenstein was so good and went so downhill when Jeff left opposite for JLD) and this I, Vampire artist is freaking badass, gonna be real interesting to see what this artist can do with GA, because their art looks perfect for I,Vampire. I cannot freaking wait!!!!!

Oh and read what Jeff wrote:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/11/05/jeff-lemire-green-arrow/

This picture is worth a million bucks

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BlueArrow

@sethysquare: Just wait till it's colored

tiger26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tiger26

I cannot wait to till Jeff Lemire's run starts the cover alone gets me hyped

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brit

just add the beard and goatee and we're all set..

i hope that Ollie would stick to using the Recurve bow and avoid using the stupid Compound bow. He can really show off how great of an archer he is when using the traditional bow rather than the other which can be tweaked - i feel like he's cheating with it..

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By sethysquare
    No Caption Provided

@BlueArrow:

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlueArrow

@sethysquare: Yeah saw that earlier, it's better then i imagined.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.