Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4303 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

the green arrow problem

ghost_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghost_runner

first of all you need to know that i am a big green arrow fan and all my opinions are my own and if you disagree than thats fine but dont argue with me because of that.

No Caption Provided

when i first saw the new green arrow no.1 i thought that this could be good, the costume looks good and so does the cover art, but sadly as i turned the page i knew almost instantly that is was going to be a huge disappointment. The art in the issue looks horrible, its the worst art of the whole new 52 and i knew i was going to reflect on the story. All that happens is he fights some Z-list villains and two new uninteresting characters are introduced and the bad dialogue and lake of any good villains only makes it worse.

"hey green arrow are you going to disco?"
    Deadpool
    Deadpool

i get the feeling that DC doesnt know what to do with green arrow, first hes mayor, then his secret identity gets revealed, then hes in the forest which was cool and had alot of potential but was side tracked with the whole brightest day mess, and now this.

Marvel has the same problem with deadpool, that they dont know what to do with him, so they make his book about his self journey and finding out what he really wants in life plus wild and funny stuff equals to a good book.

you cant even say that it was only the frist issue and had to introduce the character and set up future issies, thats true but it did not do a good job at that plus im not even a little bit interested in seeing what they set up for.

in conclusion i would just like to say that im a die hard green arrow fan and am seriously considering dropping this book, so that says alot about this series.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ghost_runner: I agree, it was a pretty crappy first issue 
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Kairan1979

@spiderbat87: still better than Flashpoint Green Arrow.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Kairan1979 said:

@spiderbat87: still better than Flashpoint Green Arrow.

Ha well I got most other flashpoint issues but I was to scared to get that as a lot of review said it was horrible 
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By fodigg

Green Arrow was a great title for a long time when penned by the good version of Winick following Smith'sQuiver. Then it just, lost focus. It didn't get quite as bad as Aquaman got, but it was close. And the character seemed to be pulled in different directions with a lot of writers wanting to play up and emphasize his un-heroic features such as his willingness to kill or his promiscuity to the point where it seemed silly.

As far as the new issue:

• I hate the Smallville look. He should look like Robin Hood. If they wanted a recognizable look they'd base his appearance off of Justice League Unlimited.
    • I like the focus on gadgets. It's more sensible than trick arrows and it still works with the character. Heck I think they should even give him his sword back.
    • These villains were crap. You don't launch a title with crap villains. They should have brought back an iconic Arrow villain like Merlyn or invented a new mega-villain for him.
    • The supporting cast failed to jump out at me, but I might just be missing the old cast, especially Mia. The setup kind of reminds me of Power Girl's recent status quo.

Also, I'm remembering an issue or a preview or something that wasn't in this issue. It was an attack on Ollie's corporate research island to kill military buyers by terrorists, led by his daughter--who he didn't know about, by Vixen--and I think a bodyguard version of Roy Harper is even killed but that doesn't make sense because he appears in the Outlaws. Anyone know what I'm thinking of? I'm totally blanking. Was that not DCnU? Anyway, my thoughts on that:

• The Tony Stark-ish backstory, well, I guess it works. I don't really care either way except I don't get why he'd use a bow and arrow at all with this backstory and kind of kills his "hunter" mentality.
    • The tons-of-illegitimate children thing I think takes what was already a bogus character flaw and makes it a defining character trait, which I'm not fond of. It all ties back to Ollie being date-raped by a supervillain and the writers treating that as cheating on Black Canary, which is ridiculous. It's because that's where this character feature comes from that I really hate it but hey, comics everybody!
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By moviegeek17

personally i thought the issue was just ok. though i completely agree with your point that dc has no clue what to do with him, that is very obvious.

What would have been really cool if in this new 52 krul used this opportunity to make a continuation of green arrow year one. From what little i have read of green arrow that is easily my favorite story with him

ghost_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ghost_runner

@aztek_the_lost: Thanks for moving the topic, i guess i wasnt thinking about that when i made it

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheRedRobin96

I am a huge Green arrow fan myself and I have been for a long time! The art work wasnt to bad, I thought it fit the story just fine. The cover though was a bit ridiculous I will admit....but over all I liked it. A lot of people just don't like it I believe is because of JT Krul who I think does a pretty good job on Green Arrow. The villains are OK, remember he isnt an A class character so you can start pretty much any where with him, which I think they decided to start small and work their way up. After the first arc I wouldn't be least surprised to see a more common Green Arrow foe, Merlyn would definately be my first choice though for the next arc. By the way JT Krul is stopping at issue 3 and beginning with issue 4 Dan Jurgens is taking over so I wouldn't consider dropping it yet.

For Deadpool, I have been a huge fan of his for years! And even I will admit he is getting to be kind of worthless and I think they need a new writer, Daniel Way isnt that good at writing Deadpool any more which is a real shame.

Avatar image for superiorojsimpson
    superiorojsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

cool.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By KainScion

flashpoint green arrow was AWESOME!! not the one trick stuff they pull with him. they don't know what to do with him because they've done everything with him. he's a guy shooting arrows in modern day. kinda boring. plus there are like what?? 4-5 people just like him shooting arrows just like him. batman i get. he's a detective, a very good fighter, smart. GA isnt even a good fighter. and his archnemesis....... SURPRISE!!! ANOTHER GUY SHOOTING ARROWS!!!!! who would have thunk?!?! lame (my opinnion)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

The art was oustanding in the first issue IMO. The real tragedy is the apparent loss of Ollie's awesome goatee due to the events of Flashpoint.
    ghost_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ghost_runner

@Jake Fury: i miss it too

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By the_tree

The lack of his goatee is an outrage, that's like taking away Superman's cape!

I'm giving this series time, and hoping it gets better. I wish they would've just picked up where they left off, and have Ollie rebuild his relationships with the Justice League and his Arrow family.

Darthmat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Darthmat

I thought #1 was pretty abysmal, and although a bit of the dialogue in #2 was terrible, overall, I think the series redeemed itself. I do like the villain's motivation, because that's something that happens in real life.

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By soccersss

I hate how DC has ridiculed one of my favorite DC characters. WTH did they smallvillfy him. Although i did like the smallville version of him, I dont want him in the main universe. Maybe DC should pull of a Marvel and make an ultimate universe for him but dont pull that crap in the real universe. Most of my blame goes to J.T Krul. The dude doesnt know wth to do with green arrow. I'm so happy hes leaving green arrow soon. Maybe after he is gone green arrow can get the respect he deserves.

They also need to give him good villains. The Queen has potential, what happened to her and they should bring Brick back i liked him

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Eyz

@fodigg said:

Green Arrow was a great title for a long time when penned by the good version of Winick following Smith'sQuiver. Then it just, lost focus. It didn't get quite as bad as Aquaman got, but it was close. And the character seemed to be pulled in different directions with a lot of writers wanting to play up and emphasize his un-heroic features such as his willingness to kill or his promiscuity to the point where it seemed silly.

As far as the new issue:

• I hate the Smallville look. He should look like Robin Hood. If they wanted a recognizable look they'd base his appearance off of Justice League Unlimited.
    • I like the focus on gadgets. It's more sensible than trick arrows and it still works with the character. Heck I think they should even give him his sword back.
    • These villains were crap. You don't launch a title with crap villains. They should have brought back an iconic Arrow villain like Merlyn or invented a new mega-villain for him.
    • The supporting cast failed to jump out at me, but I might just be missing the old cast, especially Mia. The setup kind of reminds me of Power Girl's recent status quo.

Also, I'm remembering an issue or a preview or something that wasn't in this issue. It was an attack on Ollie's corporate research island to kill military buyers by terrorists, led by his daughter--who he didn't know about, by Vixen--and I think a bodyguard version of Roy Harper is even killed but that doesn't make sense because he appears in the Outlaws. Anyone know what I'm thinking of? I'm totally blanking. Was that not DCnU? Anyway, my thoughts on that:

• The Tony Stark-ish backstory, well, I guess it works. I don't really care either way except I don't get why he'd use a bow and arrow at all with this backstory and kind of kills his "hunter" mentality.
    • The tons-of-illegitimate children thing I think takes what was already a bogus character flaw and makes it a defining character trait, which I'm not fond of. It all ties back to Ollie being date-raped by a supervillain and the writers treating that as cheating on Black Canary, which is ridiculous. It's because that's where this character feature comes from that I really hate it but hey, comics everybody!

Exactly, well said!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i like the new Green Arrow, but i dislike the lame first arc villains, come on, you can do better than THAT Dc 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PowerHerc

The art looks good to me.

shrmntnk62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shrmntnk62

@fodigg You're thinking of GA Flashpoint w/ the island, Roy's death, and weird Vixen daughter. I wish the new GA book was better. I had never been a fan of his before, but over the last couple of years he's been a big highlight for me in DC. They last series he had before the relaunch started off great!

Avatar image for bloodwolfassassin
    Bloodwolfassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 148

User Lists: 15

Ok seriously, am I the only one who's sticking up for this book? I think this is easily one of the best books of the relaunch and one of the best books I've ever read in general. I love the first story arc, sure the villains aren't interesting but they're not supposed to be. They're supposed to be punks who've gotten a little too big for their britches because of their internet fame. That's why Ollie beats them so easily. It's a great story that has a pretty good anti reality show message, which I love. I hate shows like jackass. Also, who cares if Ollie is different, the book is still great.

By the way, I liked Smallville, and as such I love Ollie's new look.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Superguy0009e

i think they did a more marvel approach to the green arrow

the series is fine, not the best, but JT Krul is a good enough writer to keep it interesting

HolyAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HolyAvenger

I like the New 52 Green Arrow and the art. I especially like that DC is making an effort in creating all the new villains for Green Arrow. Something he has been lacking in for a long time.

jamxrunner0206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jamxrunner0206

I am new to comic books. My girlfriend and i have just started with the new DC's.

Green Arrow was one of my favorite characters on smallvile so I was generally interested in him. I myself am a bow hunter so I like the fact that green arrow is accessible to a person. (If you ever shot a bow, especially a re-curve like the one green arrow has you would never wear that much armor). But after ready many other DC comics like the New Batman, The Flash, Aquaman, and Justice league this book so far does not hold up to any of them.

We so far have no idea really who the Olliver character is as a person. Sure he is a business man that owns his own company but as to why he does the job he seems to hate or why he uses a bow and arrow we have no idea.

Even in the Batman series so far they retell the story of why batman does what he does even though everybody knows it. If this was a true reboot, then in the next coming issues there needs to be some serious character development other wise I am dropping this one.

I do like that a new writer has enter the stage, because to me it seems like JT Kruel just quickly spit out 3 books and didn't seem to care about them at all. Just wanted to get one with a new project. After reading #4 I feel that Griffen is trying to fix a problem that may take time in order to get this book back on track.

Hopefully awaiting #5.

Benuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Benuben

@HolyAvenger: You are kidding right? They never stopped making new villains fo Ollie. Thats only thing they do. Everytime, someone new gets to write Green Arrow, he creates new villains and then uses them over and over again.And after they leave, they are never used again. I dont want new villains, I want writers to use some of these, who are already there.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By PowerHerc

@HolyAvenger said:

I especially like that DC is making an effort in creating all the new villains for Green Arrow. Something he has been lacking in for a long time.

Exactly.

RedR0bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By RedR0bin

This arc has still got my attention but I kinda can't wait to move on. I feel like this is Green Arrow: Year One. I wanna see pissed off at the world green arrow.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kal'smahboi

It seems to me that it's difficult to make a character interesting if his primary schtick is archery but he can't shoot anyone. Every time I've ever seen an interesting Ollie story is when he killed someone in anger or necessity. The controversy of a killer hero helps him greatly.

Markall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Markall

Because i'm new in DC i liked the 1 issue and the art was pretty OK

Edit: BTW the could change the Smallville look into this:

My favourite Green Arrow

No Caption Provided
    soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By soccersss

@Markall said:

My favourite Green Arrow

No Caption Provided

This is his best look imo

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @soccersss said:

@Markall said:

My favourite Green Arrow

No Caption Provided

This is his best look imo

Absolutely. He was de-teched (lost all of his armor and technology.) He looked great, and it made him into what he should be, the common man's hero.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.