Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4284 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

The Future Of Green Arrow At DC Comics

• 100 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

If we had to sum up Green Arrow in a single phrase it would have to be "multi-faceted." The character is a man comprised of many different personas. He is the greatest archer in the DC Universe, a billionaire playboy with a taste for the irresponsible and embarrassing, and he is also a man who found redemption in the unlucky cards dealt to him by life. A man who grew from being selfish to selfless, and perhaps that's why he is so popular to comic fans. That, or maybe because bow and arrows are totally cool right now (since everyone from Lara Croft to Hunger Games has them). But just who is Oliver Queen now, what has he been up to lately and where is he going?

No Caption Provided

Oliver Queen (or Ollie, if you please), may be seen as this charismatic, easygoing billionaire playboy type character but his origin story has historically been a little bit on the dark side. In some adaptations of Ollie's origin, the character lost both his parents, washes up on an island and has had to struggle to survive. In other versions, as in GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE, Oliver is betrayed by his close friend and thrown off a ship onto the island. The result is the same. The marooning of Oliver Queen on a deserted island leads to the cultivation of his skill with a bow and arrow and his sense of survival. Queen learns to appreciate the things he has when he has them, but most importantly, he learns a lot about redemption. His time on the island prepares the character for crime-fighting in Star City, to be a member of the Justice League, and his role as a mentor to characters like Speedy and Connor Hawk and Roy Harper (pre New 52).

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

However, a lot of things have changed for Ollie in the last year. His age has been reverted (he's a lot younger), and with the changes made to his age, came also a lot of changes made to his experiences as a character. For example, he was never married to Black Canary, rather than his parents dying it is his best friend Tommy Merlyn who is killed (to Green Arrow's knowledge) in the zero issue of GREEN ARROW. The character we have in the current Green Arrow series is very different from the character that we knew pre 'New 52' and Flashpoint. However, that isn't all that has changed for GREEN ARROW in the last year. The character has also (unfortunately) seen a tremendous amount of changes made to the creative team on his series.

No Caption Provided

When the 'New 52' premiered over a year ago, writer J.T. Krul launched the series continuing on from his previous run on the character. Krul wrote issues #0 to #3, but was quickly swapped out and replaced by writer Keith Giffen starting with issue #4. Giffen remained on the series until the series' seventh issue when writer Ann Nocenti took the helm. Former CATWOMAN writer Judd Winick was to take over for Nocenti starting with the series' #0 issue, but those plans changed and Nocenti continues to be on the title. Clearly, one of the biggest problems with the last year of GREEN ARROW is the constant change in creative teams. The character's ongoing title was given not one, but four different writers who were swapped out and replaced; and with those new writers came new visions for the character. How can the vision for the character be cohesive if things are constantly changing? The lack of consistency is one of the reasons why the series has not been as good as it can be.

No Caption Provided

Hopefully, however, all that is about to change; and we can likely thank the latest CW television show ARROW for that. The launch of ARROW on the CW network is an adaptation of Green Arrow's character that we see in the comics. The TV series that is produced by Marc Guggenheim tells the story of Oliver Queen as a former billionaire playboy who, after witnessing the death of his father, is stranded on an island and finds redemption. He dedicates his life to eradicating the corporate scum of Star City. The show features a far darker, more contemplative Oliver Queen who is still paying for the sins of both himself and his father. A figure who has gone from charismatic to brooding, and a man who has no problem taking the law into his own hands. The show has been a huge success for the CW and also for Warner Brothers. The success of the show is likely the reason why DC is pushing for a brand new GREEN ARROW comic book series. That might be way DC recently announced that starting in February, GREEN ARROW will experience a sort of a relaunch with both artist Andrea Sorrentino and writer Jeff Lemire at the helm.

No Caption Provided

In a recent interview, comic writer Jeff Lemire who will be taking over the GREEN ARROW series starting in February, 2013 cited that he took inspiration from Andy Diggle and Jock'sGREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE, a 6-issue series published in 2007 that told the origin story of the character, painting him as a reckless playboy who is betrayed by his friend (Hackett), marooned on an island and goes on to eventually become Green Arrow, protector of Star City. However, Lemire also cites that his Green Arrow will be completely different, and that although we've had a year of Green Arrow stories, the character will be experiencing a reboot come February.

It [GREEN ARROW] really is totally a clean slate, so I can alter and change and rebuild his mythology however I want to, at the same time, trying to stay true to the core of that character that everyone always loves…His character is a really clean slate for me to kind of do something new with him. And I want to take full advantage of that and build him into something people like as much as the old Oliver Queen, but he's his own man and they like him for who he is rather than how he interacts with other heroes.

It will be interesting to see how Lemire shapes and molds the Green Arrow mythos and how many remnants of the character we will see from the pre-'New 52' version of Oliver Queen as well as how much will be taken from the television show. Will Lemire's story feature a more dark and brooding Oliver Queen? What do you think? How would you like to see the character change?

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I am excited to see what Lemire does with the series

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

Can't wait for Lemire's Green Arrow.

AngelComa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AngelComa

In Jeff Lemire I trust.

The man has serious talent. I think he can do Green Arrow justice in where others failed him in the New 52. My only complaint now is that they didn't just scrap the book and relaunch it all over again. 13 (I have read so far) issues have been pure garbage.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By cc1738

This sounds really interesting. Lemire is a good writer.

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5  Edited By CircularLogic

"His character is really a totally clean slate" is Jeff Lemire's really polite way of saying "even after 4 writers, Green Arrow doesn't really have any kind of character to speak of anymore"

I have faith in Lemire, but I miss the old Ollie, especially his relationship with his son. And all of it is gone in the name of unnecessary change

Avatar image for germinfestedmisfit
    germinfestedmisfit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't think they could have picked a better writer, lemire is on fire right now with all his series, JLD, Animal Man, Frankenstein (i miss it already), and last, but most certainly the best Sweet Tooth.

jpblair88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By jpblair88

ive been saying for over a year that DC's handling of Green Arrow has easily been the worst of the changes made. this coming from somebody who for the most part loved the New 52. But G.A. was transformed into such a bland and meaningless character. It was like they tried to turn Ollie into DC's "Tony Stark", ie, the token reckless-billionare-playboy-superhero. and completely ignored the core of the character. I dropped the title within just a few issues but ill pick it back up when Lemire starts his run. He seems to understand why people hate this bland and boring GA and has the vision to take him back to the core of who he is.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#8  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I know what lies in this future...wait for it....a goatee

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Pokeysteve

Comic book Green Arrow is a huge douche. CW's Arrow's version is much more likable and I'm really enjoying the show even though GA is definitely one of my least favorite characters. Glad to see it's doing well.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#10  Edited By pspin

I casually follow Green Arrow but I hope that Green Arrow has a light, but serious tone. The DCU can only have one brooding billionaire playboy at a time.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By DanialCarroll

I've never had any interest in Green Arrow (though I am liking the TV show), however, I still think it seems a bit stupid on DC's behalf to reboot the series at this point. I get that it isn't selling that well, but why does it deserve a reboot when all the other cancelled titles didn't? Oh, right, because he has a TV series. Do they really think fans of the show will be running out to buy Green Arrow comics? If movies can't bring in readers (and they don't), I really don't think a TV show will. Also, I get that Jeff Lamire has his fans, but after the initial "new series" spike, I have a feeling that the sales will just drop back off again.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By JamesKM716

Lemire's Green Arrow should be great.

jpblair88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jpblair88

@Danial79: i gotta disagree. GA had much better sales before the reboot than after. people stopped reading him because they completely erased everything that made Ollie who he was. i get that they wanted to erase some history and make him younger, thats fine, but his entire personality completely changed. people like me and many others dropped it for that reason. if they put out the word that "Hey, this guy who you know from Animal Man and Justice League Dark is going to make Ollie awesome again" the long-time fans of Ollie should come back.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DanialCarroll
    @jpblair88 I hope for the fan's sakes it does go down that way. I know what it's like to have a favourite character (Moon Knight) in a crappy series :)
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Twentyfive

Never read anything featuring Ollie.

Can't wait to read Lemire's run.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe dc will call the next Green Arrow reboot as Green Arrow Now ?

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#17  Edited By jstndmnd

I tried the new 52 Green arrow when it first came out and it was horrible. I than tried again with DC second attempt at a new writer and it was even worse. It is like they say fool me once same on you fool me twice shame on me. I'm afraid that I won't be giving Green Arrow a third try. Thankfully Marvel has hit the target with their new Hawkeye series. I love it. I will be sticking with Fraction's take on a archer hero. That is saying a lot because Hawkeye is my only Marvel comic, the rest are DC.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By tomlikesfries

Lemire is an awesome writer. Just not sure about the artist. I mean, Sorrentino is good in I, Vampire, but does his art really fit Green Arrow?

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By SavageDragon

@jpblair88 said:

@Danial79: i gotta disagree. GA had much better sales before the reboot than after. people stopped reading him because they completely erased everything that made Ollie who he was. i get that they wanted to erase some history and make him younger, thats fine, but his entire personality completely changed. people like me and many others dropped it for that reason. if they put out the word that "Hey, this guy who you know from Animal Man and Justice League Dark is going to make Ollie awesome again" the long-time fans of Ollie should come back.

I agree. I think Lemire has a big time following and has done great stuff in and out of the New 52 Universe. I for one am a fan of his and never have been a Green Arrow fan but have been watching the show and who woulda thunk? Am gonna be checking out this title. Good stuff Babs.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By KEROGA

i loved pre new 52

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#21  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I'm lovin' the show. And the Art for Lemire's run on thiss book remids me of the current Hawkeye Series. FINALLY!!! The Arrowheads in both Both companies are getting the shine.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KEROGA
    No Caption Provided
    ScarlettLynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ScarlettLynn

Green Arrow has always been a favorite of mine. Pre-52 I read & collected everything I could get my hands on. I like a lot of the reboot but what it did to Ollie was just a complete mess. I had to drop that series after giving it more than a few second chances. But I am really excited to start getting Green Arrow again when Lemire takes over. I've missed reading a recognizable and/or interesting Oliver Queen and I trust Lemire will likely deliver both.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hectorsquall

In a recent interview, comic writer Jeff Lemire who will be taking over the GREEN ARROW series starting in February, 2013 cited that he took inspiration from Andy Diggle and Jock'sGREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE, a 6-issue series published in 2007 that told the origin story of the character, painting him as a reckless playboy who is betrayed by his friend (Hackett), marooned on an island and goes on to eventually become Green Arrow, protector of Star City. However, Lemire also cites that his Green Arrow will be completely different, and that although we've had a year of Green Arrow stories, the character will be experiencing a reboot come February.

GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE was an awesome story and I always thought DC should've taken a similar approach for a rebooted Green Arrow. Glad to see Lemire in charge of this much needed reboot, he's a talented writer and I'm pretty confident he'll do the character justice. As for those New 52 GA stories being scrapped I say GOOD RIDDANCE! They s*cked big time and really needed to be retconned anyway.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chalkshark

A completely clean slate. So, we're just going to ignore Green Arrow's entire "New" 52 series, in favor of completely re-booting the character. That would make Green Arrow the post-Crisis Hawkman of the "New " 52. That's not a good position for any character to be in. Nice to know that DC is perfectly happy to scrap their minty fresh, new continuity just to re-tool one character. I guess once you get in the practice of doing that sort of thing, it starts to come pretty easily. At least the art will be good. I'll pick it up for that reason alone.

HempKnight757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HempKnight757

The show is good, but feels like Dexter Morgan meets Bruce Wayne.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By longbowhunter

Lemire named not only Year One as an influence on his future GA arc, but Mike Grell's Green Arrow and Denny O'Neil Question as well. That's what has me so excited. 

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By wessaari

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only is Jeff taking over, but we can actually forget about the bomb that was the New 52 Green Arrow. this just made my day, Finally i can start picking up this series again

Avatar image for themtvernonkid82
    TheMtVernonKid82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheMtVernonKid82

@haydenclaireheroes: So am I . The constant change of creative teams have hurt this series

Red_Robin212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Red_Robin212

Nice to see a Reboot on it's way, The past year has been dreadful for GA (And Nocenti is now killing Catwoman already).

Bring on Lemire's run

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

There seems to be trend with the character:

Writers come along for years and wreck the character, and this is interrupted by brief periods of genius from the occasional person. I imagine this will start back up again after Lemire leaves.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By colonyofcells

Mike Grell's Green Arrow is my favorite version so I am more optimistic about the Green Arrow reboot.

EscGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EscGamer

I haven't seen the show yet but I'm hoping that the new team doesn't turn him into a Batman 2.0. There was a clear difference between the 2 before that made me read the comics. I trust the team thou very good match up.

ohanaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ohanaman

Comics and core characters will always be open to interpretation which is what makes the reading of good characters like Ollie so interesting. Granted my favorite run for Green Arrow was when he was based in Seattle back in the 90s. Gritty series and great writing.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Brit

"Jeff Lemire who will be taking over the GREEN ARROW series starting in February, 2013 cited that he took inspiration from Andy Diggle and Jock'sGREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE,"

- That's a good place to start. I hope they make sure that Ollie DOES NOT USE A COMPOUND BOW. it sucks - i feel like he's cheating with it. Using a traditional bow showcases how great of an archer Ollie really is. I don't mean to hate on the people who previously worked on the title, but they made him into a STEVE JOBS WITH A FETISH FOR HI-TECH ARCHERY plus NO GOATEE? C'mon!

I know Lemire would do great and I will treat issue #17 as the definitive NEW 52 #1 for Green Arrow. Hail Lemire!!!!

Xangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37  Edited By Xangel

Thank, fucking, god.

This series has just been unreadable across the board. Good to see my favorite DC character get a fresh start motivated by (hopefully) something better than rebranding to appeal to kids who aren't reading anyway.

Hopefully 'Q-Core' will fade into obscurity.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Onemoreposter

This is wonderful, wonderful news. Hopefully he does his own thing and we get a unique take, but at the same time he brings back the Oliver Queen we all knew and loved before Flashpoint.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CitizenJP

I really can't wait for the writer switch-up on Green Arrow here. I've been following the New52 series but the writing up til now has been suuuuuch a pain to read lol. But I have faith.

Edit: Oh just saying; I love the show "Arrow". Heh. ;3

TheCommissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheCommissar

I'm hoping the Arrow Family comes back around some day. I'd like to at least see Mia and Roy doing stuff with Ollie again.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

They should make Oliver Queen a Looper.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By arnoldoaad

@HempKnight757 said:

The show is good, but feels like Dexter Morgan meets Bruce Wayne.

Lol that actually sounds awesome

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes, Lemire and Sorrentino going back to the basics of Year One is just what is needed to reinvigorate the title I say. Truth is, I was really loving Ollie Queen's tale in the Emerald Forest in the days of Brightest Day before Flashpoint or New 52. That would have had such potential as an ongoing still I say.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By arnoldoaad

@colonyofcells said:

Mike Grell's Green Arrow is my favorite version so I am more optimistic about the Green Arrow reboot.

mine too, but it needs more than just be like Grells run, the current GA is just so bad as a character that its really a challenge because of what lemire has to work with

Its just hard to believe that he can grab the worst version ever created of GA and then say, hey will try to make it more like the best version ever created, the result might come with something in between, and i really wish that DC had rebooted the title entirely and not progress from the garbage that its been so far

hydro 300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hydro 300

I hope Lemire cracks the true character of Oliver and maybe gives a little of the Neal Adams socially conscious run

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By Grey56

Hrm. Interesting.

th3jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By th3jok3r

Ollie is one of my favorite characters in all of comics. I was so disappointed to see how DC treated him with the New 52. However, with Lemire AND Sorrentino (who kills it on I, Vampire) on board for the foreseeable future, I will definitely be adding this title back onto my pull list.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Billy Batson
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Mercy_
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Billy Batson

@Mercy_ said:

@Billy Batson said:

Speedy and Connor Hawk and Roy Harper (pre New 52).

Aren't Speedy and Roy the same character? <.<
    BB

Mia Dearden

Yeah, she came into my mind. Would have been better to use her real name or link it at least :P

BB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.