Save Olliver Queen

Posted by DIOMJK (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I did a blog a while back about how much the current volume of Green Arrow disappointed the hell out of me, which many people seemed to agree with. However, this weeks issue Green Arrow #7 kicked off the run of a new creative team, with Ann Nocenti penning the title, which gave me a bit of hope. I just finished reading the issue (download, the past 6 were way too crappy to warrant ethics when all I wanted was COMPETENCY in a title) and it was definitly an improvement. it was much more entertaining, Queen was much more of a happy go-lucky asshole playboy than before, and the story was a bit goofier. It was still flawed, though, and didn't win me over or convince me to add it to my pull list. That being said, when re-reading it to do a review (I scrapped that, couldn't express myself clear enough) I realized that they might have done a hard reboot with this character, and that he may have only been Green Arrow for a shorter amount of time than the Justice League. In fact, they might be setting him up to become the old Ollie we know and love.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Reading this issue a second time, I saw a lot of hints that may lead to a repeat of Ollie's original beginnings. Back in the Silver age, Ollie was just another Batman knock-off, a billionaire/superhero, until he loses all his money, lives poor for a while, and sees how people are living, which prompts him to take up the ultra-liberal politics we loved him for. In this issue, we see that Ollie is very irresponsible and kind of selfish, and that someone in Q-core is trying to wrestle control from the company from him because of that. Because Ollie is presumed dead at the end of the issue in the eyes of the public, I feel like there's a good chance Ollie will lose the company, which will trigger his decision to become more responsible and more liberal minded, like his classic origin. It also helps tie up a few loose ends, such as why Ollie was so cold-hearted to Roy in the past (and why he was never mentioned so far), where his relationship with Black Canary stands (probably never happened), and could leave things open to the return of Connor Hawke, which would be a nice addition. This would really help bring some life into the series and help clean up some of the unanswered questions we have over this tale.

Honestly, I'm really hoping this happens, Ollie is so bland and generic nowadays that he needs something to set him apart. And considering the 2 writers that have already left the title and the poor reception I keep hearing, I'm hoping something at least similar to this happens to save this title.

#1 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
ann nocenti is doing a great job. I cant wait for whats going to hapoen next in the series.
#2 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

the new creative team is helping the book a lot.

#3 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it was bad enough the beautiful/infamous goattee has gone, now Queen just seems like a bit of a dick... I DID NOT like the Skylark issues. I'm hoping it gets better soon or it's off my comic book list.

#4 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@FullmetalChobit: IMO the beard/goatee looks damn awful and I'm glad they removed it. From now on Ollie would look as hot as the one on TV right now.

#5 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare:

Ah this we shall always disagree on. The beard is ridiculously FIT.

Then again how did Ollie spend all those years leading a double-life when someone could have thought... "Oh GA and Ollie Queen have exactley the same build and strange little beard..."

Ridiculous. I love it.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32235 posts) - - Show Bio

The new creative team on Green Arrow is just as bad or even worse than the first one 

#7 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@FullmetalChobit: Nah, just not a fan of it. This version of Ollie being written now is what interest me. I know there are bigger plans for Ollie especially since being shown in Justice League. I cant wait till he starts fighting for social justice. But I do want him to build up his rogue gallery first.

#8 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: That's fair enough. I'm sticking with the New 52 Ollie for a little bit, see how it pans out. I'm guessing you're following it at the mo' then?

Yeah, like you I'm really looking forward to some awesome baddies. An the TV show for defs :)

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@FullmetalChobit said:

@sethysquare: That's fair enough. I'm sticking with the New 52 Ollie for a little bit, see how it pans out. I'm guessing you're following it at the mo' then?

Yeah, like you I'm really looking forward to some awesome baddies. An the TV show for defs :)

Yeah, but don't get me wrong, I love the old school Ollie, I love some of the classic stories written for Ollie (didn't use to, but now I do) I just wasn't a great fan of the look.

I did prefer his characterisation in Justice League, it was what I dreamed Ollie would be like. But I can see potential for his current series, He just needs a little bit more fleshing out. I am following it at the moment, jumped in at #7 and I wasn't disappointed. Not the greatest story ever, but it'll do. I think Ann Nocenti is the kinda writer that'll majorly payoff after a while. If it gets terrible, I'll still drop it, but for now, Im satisfied.

#10 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@FullmetalChobit said:

Yeah, but don't get me wrong, I love the old school Ollie, I love some of the classic stories written for Ollie (didn't use to, but now I do) I just wasn't a great fan of the look.

I did prefer his characterisation in Justice League, it was what I dreamed Ollie would be like. But I can see potential for his current series, He just needs a little bit more fleshing out. I am following it at the moment, jumped in at #7 and I wasn't disappointed. Not the greatest story ever, but it'll do. I think Ann Nocenti is the kinda writer that'll majorly payoff after a while. If it gets terrible, I'll still drop it, but for now, Im satisfied.

Summed up my thoughts. Ann Nocenti has improved this book greatly from the very crappy work the previous creative team gave us in the first issues. Green Arrow still has a long way to go but with the new creative team, they are at least taking a step in the right direction. I am going to keep up reading and see where this is going

#11 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I'm not massively loving the New 52 GA, I'm just waiting for him to be the sarcy ladies-man he's always been or maybe they're changing that part of him too..... :'(

#12 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss: I'm not impressed with GA so far but I love him so I'm gunna keep up with him, Nocenti seems to be taking it in a better direction. We'll have to wait and see, kinda makes me wish I'd gone for another one of the N52 instead.

#13 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

The art is better (I hated the art before.) the story and character development leave a lot to be desired.

#14 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoboShark: AGREED!

#15 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
if the zero issues are true. We might be readin more about his past perhaps how he lands on the island and all.

@FullmetalChobit:

#16 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I am looking forward to learning more about one of my fave characters. Unfortunately when they are your favourite it's all the more easy for someone to 'ruin' them for you. *sigh*.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.