Oliver Queen/Green Arrow is back

#1 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

For anyone who picked up issue 7 of Green Arrow, you would have noticed a massive difference between this issue and the previous issues. For starter we get a completely different Oliver Queen. I was getting frustrated of the secret agent feel Green Arrow was having. He was never meant to be like that.

Enter Ann Nocenti. It looks like Ann Nocenti really knows how to write a pretty good Oliver Queen. I would have to admit I was a little nervous when she was announced to take over Green Arrow because I was not familiar with any of her works. Ann Nocenti's Oliver Queen/Green Arrow is more rebellious, flirtatious and reckless without really undermining him. He is more like the fun and daring Ollie we all know know and his interactions with the three Skylarks exemplified his character. There were playful, a little flirtatious and entertaining. Nevertheless she is up to a good start and maybe she is the person to restore our faith in Oliver Queen.

I would recommend picking this issue if you want to check out Green Arrow or if you dropped it after the lackluster earlier issues. It is a great place to start. I am just finally happy that there is a Green Arrow series I can get excited to read.

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The real Ollie is back? Hallelujah!

#3 Edited by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll check it out, still a little gun shy

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's on art duties?

#5 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress:

Harvey Tolibao

#6 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoo!

#7 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it's better. I didn't like the poor quality of artwork (and plot) at the beginning of the book.

#8 Posted by Night Thrasher (3665 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss said:

@The Dark Huntress:

Harvey Tolibao

How the hell did Marvel let him get away!? This is more the reason why DC is kicking their arse than anything. They get good talent and just let them slip through their hands.

#9 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Night Thrasher said:

@soccersss said:

@The Dark Huntress:

Harvey Tolibao

How the hell did Marvel let him get away!? This is more the reason why DC is kicking their arse than anything. They get good talent and just let them slip through their hands.

Very true.

#10 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I never had read something of Green Arrow before but this issue has a way better write, than last one, buuuuut I don't like the art work (please don't kill me)

#11 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I looked through the issue earlier, I love the art direction the book took.

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

The writing is a definite improvement but the art is pretty subpar. It feels really... disproportionate.

#13 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

Well I never had read something of Green Arrow before but this issue has a way better write, than last one, buuuuut I don't like the art work (please don't kill me)

Tolibao's art was a little inconsistent but I like it better than Dan Jurgens art. Dan's art was too straightforward for me and it just seemed a little outdated.

#14 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss:

How good of a jumping on point would you say it is. I dropped GA after #3 and haven't been following any of the story developments. Anything big i need to know, if i jump back in?

#15 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Afro_Warrior said:

@soccersss:

How good of a jumping on point would you say it is. I dropped GA after #3 and haven't been following any of the story developments. Anything big i need to know, if i jump back in?

It is a completely new arc. There is nothing important you need to know.

#16 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully he's back for good. I'll love it even more if he regrew his goatee.

#17 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

The dialogue was painful. So much for the new creative team. I have officially given up on the character.

#18 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh good! I've been out of town and haven't been able to pick it up yet. This makes me happy.

#19 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss:

Thanks.

Just read it and honestly it wasn't for me. The dialogue felt off on more then a few occasions and the starting exposition was just flat out weird. The Skylark's were entertaining, but the very last scene sort of came out of nowhere. All in all it's definitely an improvement on what we had previously, and i like that Ollie feels more fun and daring like the old Ollie.

I'll give this another issue, but i doubt it'll be a main stay on my pull list.

#20 Posted by PowerHerc (82755 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to hear it.

Green Arrow is one of the greats, imo.

#21 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't like this series. Checked out the newest issue at my local comic book store, the writing was extremely sub-par and the art was just BAD.

DON'T KILL ME, ARROW FANS!!! :P

#22 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

I still don't like this series. Checked out the newest issue at my local comic book store, the writing was extremely sub-par and the art was just BAD.

To each their own I guess. The issue wasn't perfect yet but it is a vast improvement from the previous issuesin my opinion . I like the new direction the series is going.

#23 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Afro_Warrior said:

@soccersss:

Thanks.

Just read it and honestly it wasn't for me. The dialogue felt off on more then a few occasions and the starting exposition was just flat out weird. The Skylark's were entertaining, but the very last scene sort of came out of nowhere. All in all it's definitely an improvement on what we had previously, and i like that Ollie feels more fun and daring like the old Ollie.

I'll give this another issue, but i doubt it'll be a main stay on my pull list.

Np. The dialogue still needs a little work. The skylarks was a fun addition to the issue but yeah the last scene came out of nowhere. I am just excited that Ollie feels more like the old Ollie. That is a good start. Now that Ollie's seems more like Ollie, I am hoping we would get some decent storylines and great villains soon. Maybe bring Emerson into the mix and make him a more active antagonist for Ollie

#24 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

Take aim archers we kill at midnight

#25 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@mr.obvious said:

LOL

#26 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it.

#27 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@mr.obvious said:

Awww, why would you ever wanna kill me? Your arrows would mess up my pretty little face, lol

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't like the Art to be honest. Writing was good, but the plot was... "Dafuq?" at best.

#29 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a fun read. I need a new light-hearted fun title since The Ray mini is ending this month, this'll be a good replacement.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.