Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4301 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

How faithful is Arrow to the comics?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've never read a Green Arrow comic, but I'm becoming a big fan of the TV series and was wondering exactly how much it follows the books. Like I said, I've never read a Green Arrow comic, but even with my less-than-general knowledge of the character I've already noticed a few liberties taken. Is Oliver Queen in the show the same Oliver Queen in the comics?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@nickzambuto: The TV version of Oliver Queen is very different from the comic version, but it seems to be getting closer as the show goes on.

And if you want to read any Green Arrow comics, I can give you some recommendations.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By renamed040924

@xwraith said:

@nickzambuto: The TV version of Oliver Queen is very different from the comic version, but it seems to be getting closer as the show goes on.

And if you want to read any Green Arrow comics, I can give you some recommendations.

How so?

Shoot.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@xwraith said:

How so?

Shoot.

In my opinion he's way more Batman/Bruce Wayne than he is Green Arrow/Oliver Queen. Personally, though, I'm fine with that.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much a different character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nickzambuto: He's a lot younger than the original version (but not the New 52 one). He wasn't originally very humorous in Arrow, but the season 3 trailer showed some him making some jokes. In the comic, his left-leaning politics have long been an important part of his character, but those have not been touched upon in the show.

As for recommendations, the best starting point is Green Arrow: Year One. Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino's run (issues 17-34 of the New 52) is my favorite GA story. The miniseries The Longbow Hunters is a classic, along with Mike Grell's ongoing that followed it. Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams is probably the most famous Green Arrow story, but I'll warn you that it's pretty dated.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Character-wise he's basically Batman in the show, not at all like Oliver.

His backstory isn't exactly the same, but it's got the same major points in common.

And as for the show itself, it doesn't particularly follow any comic book storyline.

Jmarshmallow

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@nickzambuto: He's a lot younger than the original version (but not the New 52 one). He wasn't originally very humorous in Arrow, but the season 3 trailer showed some him making some jokes. In the comic, his left-leaning politics have long been an important part of his character, but those have not been touched upon in the show.

As for recommendations, the best starting point is Green Arrow: Year One. Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino's run (issues 17-34 of the New 52) is my favorite GA story. The miniseries The Longbow Hunters is a classic, along with Mike Grell's ongoing that followed it. Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams is probably the most famous Green Arrow story, but I'll warn you that it's pretty dated.

Thanks a lot, I'll have to look into that.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By patrat18

Not even close.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

they changed the origin quite a bit(new 52 is closer) but the part where he works for argus wasn't in comics

when he started he was more into killing than in the comics(usually) and still isn't really politically motivated

his family and connections to people has changed a good bit (Thea can be called Mia Dearden since ep 3)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By amazing_webhead

I think it's gradually becoming more so as time passes

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Too much "nolanise" and afraid to be comic book-y . I mean for example Black Canary suppose to have canary cry. Another example is they try to make Solomon Grundy "realistic" which is stupid because he is not suppose to be "realistic". For your info Comic Book-y doesn't mean it is light tone, Comic Book-y also can be dark tone for example look at Batman Animated Series. Yup BTAS is not try to be "realistic" like Nolan Bat movies

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.