Green Arrow: 'Super Max" Is Still Being Worked On

Posted by G-Man (30669 posts) - - Show Bio

There's been talk for a while about David Goyer's supervillain prison movie, Super Max.  The movie was supposed to have Green Arrow ending up behind bars and stuck in a prison full of super-bad guys.  There were originally plans to have cameos from villains like the Joker and Lex Luthor, along with some lesser known bad guys.  There simply hasn't been a lot of talk about the movie lately.

In an exclusive talk with David Goyer, MTV inquired about the status of this project.

We're working on that. We're about to bring on another writer. Obviously, Warner Bros. is now heavily into mining all of the various DC properties.

With how long this has been talked about, I'm not sure what the chances are for it to actually happen.  At least the 'general public' should be somewhat familiar with Green Arrow since a version of his character has been on Smallville off and on for the last couple seasons.  I'm just not sure about what villains they could line up.  Even though each DC movie is put out by Warner Brothers, I would think there'd be some legal entanglements if they tried to use the Joker, Lex Luthor or any villain already attached to an existing franchise.  I was never fully sold on the idea of Green Arrow trapped in a super villain prison.  It could work.  It would be a different type of super hero movie.  I'm just not sure how excited I'd be over seeing it.  I guess if this ever gets further into production, we'll see what can come out of it.
Staff Online
#1 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

im not sure if i want 2 see a green arrow movie but i like the idea of the plot.
#2 Posted by the guv'nor (94 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a movie they shoudl def do and i hope they will.they could use alot of b list villians and it would really work.
#3 Posted by Phantim555 (229 posts) - - Show Bio
@blade hunter said:
"im not sure if i want 2 see a green arrow movie but i like the idea of the plot. "

for me its the opposite I'd love to see a Green Arrow movie but if he's not Green Arrow it kind of defeats the purpose
#4 Posted by Ectoplasmic (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't this idea pitched when "Prison Break" was all the rage on t.v.?

#5 Posted by Bergquist (695 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd see it
#6 Posted by Rod12 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I only want to see a Green Arrow Movie if it deals with the origin of the character and actually shows him in the Green Arrow Uniform.
#7 Posted by bravephencer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea but I think it would work better for a character like daredevil or the punisher.

#8 Posted by G-Man (30669 posts) - - Show Bio
@bravephencer said:
" I like the idea but I think it would work better for a character like daredevil or the punisher. "
I believe in the interview, Goyer said they came up with an idea that could've worked in either the DC or Marvel universe.  Maybe they should make one for both and see which does better.
Staff Online
#9 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

Trapped in a prison with villains is the theme for the latest Batman video game, but not many series have such an iconic prison, such as Arkham Asylum. The theme was also used in the Watchmen movie. The idea can be pretty interesting, but is it the right setting for a movie that will more then likely introduce the character to the broader public?

#10 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@bravephencer said:
" I like the idea but I think it would work better for a character like daredevil or the punisher. "
What about DD or Punisher make them a "better" character?
#11 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see this getting anywhere.

#12 Posted by Secret Identity (223 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see a GA film but i'm not sure a GA behind bars storyline would be such a great idea. Maybe but i don't know. Perhaps GA as Oliver Queen fronts the money for the new prison then is captured and held by the villains/villain in the prison on it's opening but still i'm not sold on it. If they make it i will watch it though lol

#13 Posted by Mr Mofo (354 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Ollie will manage to find a bow and arrow in the prison?  At least having him in there would take care of how silly it'd look seeing a dude running around dressed in green.  Don't get me wrong, I like the outfit but you know how comic book costumes don't always translate into real life.

#14 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought I read recently that this was supposed be a Suicide Squad movie
#15 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
So is this movie in the works and is this based of a comic book about Green Arrow? (I don't know much about his comic history)
#16 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Any Green arrow movie would be pretty sweet
#17 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want a green Arrow movie but this idea would be better for a second movie or for a Deadshot or Suicide Squad movie. Also the Joker should be in Arkham, what's he doing in another prison. Overall this idea isn't best for a Green Arrow movie but it could work.

#18 Posted by shugtastic (46 posts) - - Show Bio

i always thought that this sounded like an awesome movie, having Green Arrow incarcerated with several of the men that he PUT in prison. 

my only gripe was with the title.  they originally wanted to simply call it "super max."  and while that sounds like the name of a cheesy superhero (ha ha ha) i think that it's unfair to the fans of the character to have a green arrow movie that's NOT called "Green Arrow"  at the very LEAST, they should combine the two and call it "Green Arrow: SuperMax"
#19 Posted by Jediknightjace (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd see it. I never liked the character until I saw him on Smallville (of course, Smallville subsequently ruined him - like it does with every character -  but he can still be pretty cool).

#20 Edited by Bold (6 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm all for a green arrow film about green arrow, not some ass-backwards movie that focuses mainly on the plot and then inserts the lead from either publisher. if that's the case no thanks mr. goyer

#21 Posted by HarryF25 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

they should do this with Daredevil, like the one from Brubakers run

#22 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

STUPID idea. and wast of Green Arrow if they use him.  

If it was a all villain film it might be good.
#23 Posted by NightFang (9904 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this movie gets made, cuz I want to see GA get gang raped by some pissed of villains.

#24 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if green arrow should be the hero in prison, sounds like batman should instead.

#25 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I would rather see an origin movie akin to that of Iron Man for Green Arrow or a Green Arrow Green Lantern movie before this crap gets made.

#26 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

the plot sounded great and original.  I hope it gets done. 
#27 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should make an origin story first, and then make the Super Max movie.h

#28 Posted by Peterobe (115 posts) - - Show Bio

If it involves Green Arrow as depicted in the comics, then cool. If it is an excuse to make a lame prison film, not cool. You have to wonder where DC reckon this could go as a franchise - check out 
http://geeksandgods.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-logo-for-dcu.html -   an interesting insite into where DC's head was at 2005 re. movies of the future.

#29 Posted by cadaver (143 posts) - - Show Bio

i'ld watch any green arrow movie that comes out. I watched a smallville episode with him in it, but thought they did a real crap job on him. this plot sounds cool, hope the writers research green arrow better than the writers of smallville did.

#30 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, I feel a supervillain movie in jail would be good, and I also feel a Green Arrow movie without him being in jail is better.

#31 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

LET IT DIE!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.