Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

Green Arrow movie in 2009?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

David Goyer’s oddly named Green Arrow-goes-to-prison movie, Supermax, appears to have a new title: Green Arrow. Yes, simply Green Arrow.

That’s according to Robert Sanchez of IESB.net, who speculates on Warner Bros.’ tent-pole movies for summer 2009.

Sanchez writes: “I am hearing with the success of Marvel’s Iron Man, considered a second-tier comic book character, certain execs over Warner Bros. believe it’s the right time to introduce the world to Oliver Queen, his bag of trick arrows and green spandex.”

He says that Green Arrow, and Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam – directed by Peter Segal and written by John August — are both contenders for 2009. Green Arrow/Supermax is written by Justin Marks (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li).

Copy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Copy

Eh. I'm not that big of a fan of Green Arrow. And the way DC goes with their movies, I highly doubt this'll appear on the big screen.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

It's going to suck.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By zero edge

can't get excited for DC movies because they have no plan on what the hell they're doing. It's a hit or miss for them.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nighthunter

Could Super Max be Warner Bros.’ Iron Man?

Screenwriter David S. Goyer says Warner Bros. seems prepared to move ahead with Super Max, the Green Arrow-goes-to-prison movie first mentioned in April 2007.

“Green Arrow is, you know, probably on the same level as Iron Man,” Goyer tells Sci Fi Wire. “And, yeah, I mean when a movie like Iron Man does $300 million, and DC, Warner Bros., realizes, ‘Wow, we’ve got 20 of these kinds of characters.’”

He says studio executives like the script, and like Green Arrow, who is “one of the characters that they’re really interested in [and] seem to be interested in moving forward with next.”

In Super Max, Green Arrow is framed, stripped of his identity, and sent to a maximum-security prison for supervillains, with whom he must team to escape and clear his name.

Last week Goyer told MTV.com that Super Max will include a variety of DC villains and plenty of Easter eggs for comics fans.

Avatar image for platinumwarrior
    Platinumwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Platinumwarrior

A Green Arrow movie?

kick-ass!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Platinumwarrior said:
    "A Green Arrow movie?

kick-ass!!!

"
    Amen
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
    Green Arrow film huh ? Okay... Lets Go Baby  !

Oliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oliver

I don't like the plot at all. How about an origin story? With a character based off of Smallville's Green Arrow?

I hope we get to see some really cool real modern archery tech before the end of the movie...

Like mag lev arrow rests, or holographic heads up display type bow sights... :-)
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    Nighthunter said:
    "

Could Super Max be Warner Bros.’ Iron Man?

Screenwriter David S. Goyer says Warner Bros. seems prepared to move ahead with Super Max, the Green Arrow-goes-to-prison movie first mentioned in April 2007.

“Green Arrow is, you know, probably on the same level as Iron Man,” Goyer tells Sci Fi Wire. “And, yeah, I mean when a movie like Iron Man does $300 million, and DC, Warner Bros., realizes, ‘Wow, we’ve got 20 of these kinds of characters.’”

He says studio executives like the script, and like Green Arrow, who is “one of the characters that they’re really interested in [and] seem to be interested in moving forward with next.”

In Super Max, Green Arrow is framed, stripped of his identity, and sent to a maximum-security prison for supervillains, with whom he must team to escape and clear his name.

Last week Goyer told MTV.com that Super Max will include a variety of DC villains and plenty of Easter eggs for comics fans.

"

I thought Green Arrow sounded lame as heck, but this sounds interesting and quite original for a superhero movie.
    Captain Atom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captain Atom

bummer, I would have liked it better if they gone the Green Arrow: Year One route....

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Static Shock

Why is Green Arrow going to prison?

Kid Anarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kid Anarchy

im down with a Green Arrow movie but please, no Billy Batson

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NightFang3

I'm ok with a Green Arrow movie but please make it an origin story and put Batman or Nightwing in prison.

EmeraldArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EmeraldArcher

Seems the movie is in doubt at this point. Still if they go forward I hope they stay away from a strictly origin movie. It's bad enough the god awful "Year One" by Diggle and Jock is now somehow canon for the comics (Easily the worst GA story in decades) doesn't need to see the big screen. ..(a leaf spring for a bow?!?!? REALLY?!?!?!)

I'd much rather see Long Bow Hunters adapted.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nighthunter

I loved year one

the worst Green Arrow story in years? have you read Winnick's work on the character for the last 5 years?

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gunswordfist
    EmeraldArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EmeraldArcher

>I loved year one

the worst Green Arrow story in years? have you read Winnick's work on the character for the last 5 years?<

Sure Did, Pretty much read every GA Story since Hard Travelling Heroes multiple times. Winnick made some mistakes but then so did the other writes on the run.

Kevin Smith: ignored the already in place explanation of Hal removing Ollie from the plain before he was killed for his "Hollow" storyline. It brought Ollie back so...

Brad Meltzer: changed the fully believable history that Ollie didn't know he HAD a son to one where he ran out the day he was born. He was bound and determined to up Ollie's asshole factor. His rationalization? He didn't believe a man wouldn't somehow know he had a kid. If he hadn't seen here and she didn't tell him how could he know.

Winnick's main mistakes in my view were expanding on the Meltzer idea to include that Ollie knew Connor was in the Ashram and also making Mia HIV positive. While I applaud the attempt to keep socially relavant issues in the book I can't see anyone logically continuing to fight crime knowing they have a blood transferable desease.

Having said that his Crawling from the Wreckage / Road to  Jericho storylines post OYL were great! He added dimensions to the character that simply weren't there before. Sadly DC editorial forced him to end the title early and forced the wedding and new title all of which not surprisingly felt rushed.

As for Year One...where to begin:

First: It's been done before! Several times the most significant being the Wonder Year by Mike Grell and the Year One annual in I believe 1996!

Second rather than treading new ground and showing us HOW he established himself in Star City, How he developed the arrows, Car, Plane etc...we got another retelling of the island. Granted he added the traitorous employee which was a nice touch but that was about it.

It's been mentioned several times in DC history that Ollie logically made a bow out of wood on the island...now it's suddenly a leaf spring from a generator?!?! What is this LOST?  A bow NEEDS to have fleaxability which a leaf spring wouldn't. 

Next the island is POPULATED! Ollie not only makes himself known to the enemies on the island but rescues dozens of prisoners and gets them off the island and hands them over to the authorities without ANYONE putting it together that the mysterious Green Arrow who shows up a few weeks later in Star City is Oliver Queen? Not likely!

Perhaps the most egregous part of the story is when Ollie's being nursed back to health. He becomes dependent on the opiats (Not likely unless he was taking frequently large doses) and then begs for more as he's withdrawing from it. This is supposed to be years before he threw his ward out for being hooked on Heroin?!?! 

Read "The Wonder Year" by Mike Grell it's a much better rendition of his origin and while it adds newer aspects does not ignore the character's history or logic for that matter.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By Zoom
    EmeraldArcher said:
    "I'd much rather see Long Bow Hunters adapted."
    Amen.
    Detective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Detective

meh i'm not a Green Arrow fan

EmeraldArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EmeraldArcher
    Detective said:
    "meh i'm not a Green Arrow fan"

Okay I have to ask then...why even take the time to post in the Green Arrow Forum? Which is within the Green Arrow Page on ComicVine?  I would imagine you'd have to be pretty deliberate in getting here. Just Asking.;)

Y'Know Question and GA used to team up quite often back in the day when Grell and O'Neil were writing their titles.
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By G'bandit

I like Green Arrow a lot but I don't think that it can top Iron Man, maybe it can level with it or get close, but not top it.

That's what I think anyway. XD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.