CW has officially picked up Arrow the Green Arrow-based hour-long

• 74 results
#1 Edited by Dernman (15222 posts) - - Show Bio

After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. When he returns home to Starling City, his devoted mother Moira, much-beloved sister Thea, and best friend Tommy welcome him home, but they sense Oliver has been changed by his ordeal on the island. While Oliver hides the truth about the man he’s become, he desperately wants to make amends for the actions he took as the boy he was. Most particularly, he seeks reconciliation with his former girlfriend, Laurel Lance. As Oliver reconnects with those closest to him, he secretly creates the persona of Arrow – a vigilante – to right the wrongs of his family, fight the ills of society, and restore Starling City to its former glory. By day, Oliver plays the role of a wealthy, carefree and careless philanderer he used to be – flanked by his devoted chauffeur/bodyguard, John Diggle – while carefully concealing the secret identity he turns to under cover of darkness. However, Laurel’s father, Detective Quentin Lance, is determined to arrest the vigilante operating in his city. Meanwhile, Oliver’s own mother, Moira, knows much more about the deadly shipwreck than she has let on – and is more ruthless than he could ever imagine.

Looks like they are ditching the connection to Smallville which makes me happy. Although I did like the show. 
Maybe this will make me forget that they are making a sex in the city prequel also.
#2 Posted by Billy Batson (58140 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw it on CBR.
No Guggenheim, no!
BB

#3 Posted by .Spider-man. (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, but will wait until I actually see something from this.

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12963 posts) - - Show Bio

The show is just called "Arrow" I think...

#5 Posted by Dernman (15222 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: Yea I mentioned that in the title. :p
#6 Posted by cattlebattle (12963 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:
@cattlebattle: Yea I mentioned that in the title. :p
uh...woop, I just glanced over it....I have the ADD and all.......This info is old isn't it??
#7 Posted by Dernman (15222 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: I think the name and picture of Green Arrow has been floating around but what the show is going to involve and it being "officially" picked up has just been release to some sites.
#8 Posted by cattlebattle (12963 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: I gotcha, there have been several releases, I just recall because I think I made some topics about them...The show sounds interesting overall, being Green Arrow was one of the better handled characters on Smallville and this is the same crew more or less working on it, I have faith......
#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92809 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm tentatively excited for this. I just can't see anybody other than Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen.

#10 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like it could be cool, and I dug the shot of the costume that they released, so Ill be looking out for this one. Hopefully we get hints of a larger DC universe like we did in Smallville. One thing that bugs me though is that they are calling it Starling City instead of just Star City, and apparently Arrow instead of Green Arrow.

#11 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
yay!!!!!!!
#12 Posted by The_Tree (7718 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll check this out, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a heaping pile of garbage. I don't understand why they feel the necessity to make these little changes that heavily irritate me, like Star City/Starling City and Green Arrow/Arrow.

#13 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard this is the best pilot in CW amongst all those being shot. The execs, test viewers and everyone were all really excited about it.

#14 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

This show could be really good if they go for a Nolan Batman feel. I think if they go for realism with that touch of fantasy, it could be one of the best shows to come.

#15 Posted by Daedalus_ (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely not interested. :P

#16 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

I'm tentatively excited for this. I just can't see anybody other than Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen.

I'm in the exact same boat. The first impression is going to be really important to how they establish the character as distinct from the Hartley interpretation.

@noj said:

Sounds like it could be cool, and I dug the shot of the costume that they released, so Ill be looking out for this one. Hopefully we get hints of a larger DC universe like we did in Smallville. One thing that bugs me though is that they are calling it Starling City instead of just Star City, and apparently Arrow instead of Green Arrow.

Yeah, Starling City... I mean, I love Starling from Birds of Prey... but Starling City... I know they're well seasoned writers and marketers and all that kinda stuff... but I don't see why it couldn't just be Star City.

@sethysquare said:

I've heard this is the best pilot in CW amongst all those being shot. The execs, test viewers and everyone were all really excited about it.

Now that the picked up pilots have been released, I have to say that this is the one that I'm most excited for, not just on CW but on all the networks... in part thats an indication of the somewhat lackluster group of candidates, rather than my overwhelming fanboyism... but honestly, we could do with some good Green Arrow, even if he isn't so Green...

@Superguy0009e said:

This show could be really good if they go for a Nolan Batman feel. I think if they go for realism with that touch of fantasy, it could be one of the best shows to come.

Absolutely. That will, for me, probably be the sink or swim element of the pilot episode... how much they push the realism. I'd really like to stick it as basically street level as well... if they touch the fantastic, it'd probably be best to handle it in a Buffy/Angel sort of way... not excessively epic, a touch of challenging and not too far beyond the realm of believability.

#17 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

looks good, hope people can see it soon.

but really, starling city?

#18 Posted by Lvenger (20660 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

looks good, hope people can see it soon.

but really, starling city?

I thought that when I first saw it. I thought it was a typo but now I realise it's actually Starling City. Really what's wrong with Star City as a name for a city? And I really don't care for this at all. I'll keep an eye on it but I don't have high hopes for it.

#19 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not? They already had wack ass Smallville on for several seasons...

#21 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Its going to be different from smallville. It would be less comicbook like and even more grounded like Nolan's batman where there are going to be realistic heroes and villains.

#22 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides, Smallville did a great job attracting female fans.

#23 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

@Vance Astro said:

Its going to be different from smallville. It would be less comicbook like and even more grounded like Nolan's batman where there are going to be realistic heroes and villains.

I would assume it would be nothing like Smallville as far as the way it's handled but I assume it will be exactly like it in the sense that it will poorly represent the character and lack in quality but people will love it for some reason.
#24 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@sethysquare said:

@Vance Astro said:

I would assume it would be nothing like Smallville as far as the way it's handled but I assume it will be exactly like it in the sense that it will poorly represent the character and lack in quality but people will love it for some reason.

Green Arrow was very well handled in Smallville. Green Arrow stayed true to its roots and comics, got into social justice Ollie and went on to reveal his identity. Clark was also very well represented and was a great character in Smallville. I wouldn't say it poorly represents Clark, because everything Clark said in Smallville is exactly what he would say in the comics. But I understand why some people don't like it because they had a very small budget so they made scenes and outfits that didn't reflect the comics.

Arrow is going to be different in its tone and approach. With million dollar cars and a much darker tone. It was stated somewhere that its going to be a modern take but taking the tones and ideas from the earlier long bow hunters Green Arrow, the classic Green Arrow story.

#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

Green Arrow was very well handled in Smallville. Green Arrow stayed true to its roots and comics, got into social justice Ollie and went on to reveal his identity. Clark was also very well represented and was a great character in Smallville. I wouldn't say it poorly represents Clark, because everything Clark said in Smallville is exactly what he would say in the comics. But I understand why some people don't like it because they had a very small budget so they made scenes and outfits that didn't reflect the comics.

Arrow is going to be different in its tone and approach. With million dollar cars and a much darker tone. It was stated somewhere that its going to be a modern take but taking the tones and ideas from the earlier long bow hunters Green Arrow, the classic Green Arrow story.

Disagreed.Hated Green Arrow in Smallville.Maybe it's just me but it was just a very cheesy show.Hard to take seriously.I wasn't so much mad about the costumes.I knew they were never going to try and match them to that of the comics.Nothing about that show though screamed Superman to me.The plots were pretty bad IMO.I hate to assume that something will suck before it comes out but I don't like anything on the CW accept Nikita and I only watch that for Maggie Q.It's not really a good show.I'll give Green Arrow a shot just like I did Smallville,and Heroes,and The Cape,but as soon as it gets cheesy i'm out.
#26 Posted by Dernman (15222 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: I liked Smallville even though I was glad to see it come to an end.but it's good to see that I'm not the only one not to like that version of Green Arrow. Didn't like the actor as Green Arrow either.
#27 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@sethysquare said:

Disagreed.Hated Green Arrow in Smallville.Maybe it's just me but it was just a very cheesy show.Hard to take seriously.I wasn't so much mad about the costumes.I knew they were never going to try and match them to that of the comics.Nothing about that show though screamed Superman to me.The plots were pretty bad IMO.I hate to assume that something will suck before it comes out but I don't like anything on the CW accept Nikita and I only watch that for Maggie Q.It's not really a good show.I'll give Green Arrow a shot just like I did Smallville,and Heroes,and The Cape,but as soon as it gets cheesy i'm out.

Agree to Disagree then. Smallville was the show that made me love superman and read comics. so....

It will definitely be less cheesy, but very much real and grounded. Or so its being promoted as. So it'll be more like Nolans Batman than Tim Burton's batman.

Besides Nikita, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Buffy the Vampire Slayer were also great shows that aired on CW/WB.

#28 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@Vance Astro: I liked Smallville even though I was glad to see it come to an end.but it's good to see that I'm not the only one not to like that version of Green Arrow. Didn't like the actor as Green Arrow either.

What do you think about the current actor for Ollie then?

I love Justin Hartley but I think Stephen Amell would definitely fit the role better.

#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

Agree to Disagree then. Smallville was the show that made me love superman and read comics. so....

It will definitely be less cheesy, but very much real and grounded. Or so its being promoted as. So it'll be more like Nolans Batman than Tim Burton's batman.

Besides Nikita, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Buffy the Vampire Slayer were also great shows that aired on CW/WB.

I liked Burton's Batman better LOL.
#30 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@sethysquare said:

Then perhaps you might not like the current arrow, because its less superhero-y and more Jason Bourne.

LOL.

#31 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

Then perhaps you might not like the current arrow, because its less superhero-y and more Jason Bourne.

LOL.

I did however like the Bourne trilogy.I don't think i've ever seen anything with Matt Damon in it that I didn't like though.
#32 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@sethysquare said:

LOL.

I did however like the Bourne trilogy.I don't think i've ever seen anything with Matt Damon in it that I didn't like though.

Obviously, its Matt Damon. hah

#33 Posted by Pokeysteve (8403 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be the 3rd show that strips away Black Canary's bad assness.

#34 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve said:

This will be the 3rd show that strips away Black Canary's bad assness.

How come? Have any clips been shown? As far as I know, we'll only get to see the trailer later. I haven't seen any trailers of BC that strips away her bad assness.

#35 Posted by Dernman (15222 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

@Dernman said:.

I love Justin Hartley but I think Stephen Amell would definitely fit the role better.

I don't know he seems kind of faceless to me. I'm going to wait until I see him in action before making judgement though. 

@Vance Astro said: 
Shame for shame! :p
#36 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@sethysquare said:

@Dernman said:.

I don't know he seems kind of faceless to me. I'm going to wait until I see him in action before making judgement though.

@Vance Astro said:
Shame for shame! :p

He starred in Hung for the whole of season 3 and was in New Girl, Private Practice and all.

After I knew he is Ollie, I went to watch all the shows he is starring in. I gotta say, I think he is a really good actor.

Katie Cassidy was also great in Supernatural, she acted as the demon Ruby in season 3 and she was a fantastic demon. Totally kick ass, she would be Black Canary in Arrow. Heres a clip of Ruby in Supernatural.

#37 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare.Sorry had to delete the trailer for Hung from your post.Way inappropriate.

#38 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

#39 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Arrow timeslot is out.

MONDAY

8:00-9:00 PM 90210 (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM GOSSIP GIRL (New Time)

(THE CARRIE DIARIES premieres January, 2013)

TUESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM HART OF DIXIE (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM EMILY OWENS, M.D. (New Series)

WEDNESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM ARROW (New Series)

9:00-10:00 PM SUPERNATURAL (New Night)

THURSDAY

8:00-9:00 PM THE VAMPIRE DIARIES

9:00-10:00 PM BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (New Series)

FRIDAY

8:00-9:00 PM AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM NIKITA (New Time)

Arrow: After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. When he returns home to Starling City, his devoted mother Moira, much-beloved sister Thea, and best friend Tommy welcome him home, but they sense Oliver has been changed by his ordeal on the island. While Oliver hides the truth about the man he’s become, he desperately wants to make amends for the actions he took as the boy he was. Most particularly, he seeks reconciliation with his former girlfriend, Laurel Lance. As Oliver reconnects with those closest to him, he secretly creates the persona of Arrow – a vigilante – to right the wrongs of his family, fight the ills of society, and restore Starling City to its former glory. By day, Oliver plays the role of a wealthy, carefree and careless philanderer he used to be – flanked by his devoted chauffeur/bodyguard, John Diggle – while carefully concealing the secret identity he turns to under cover of darkness. However, Laurel’s father, Detective Quentin Lance, is determined to arrest the vigilante operating in his city. Meanwhile, Oliver’s own mother, Moira, knows much more about the deadly shipwreck than she has let on – and is more ruthless than he could ever imagine.

Apparently we gotta wait till october to watch Arrow.

Why isn't Comicvine covering this already?

Isn't Comicvine owned by CBS who co-owns the CW?

Hello?

#40 Posted by cattlebattle (12963 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

Hello?

They are always late on news...sometimes, they never report it at all anyways, new image............

#41 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@sethysquare said:

Hello?

They are always late on news...sometimes, they never report it at all anyways, new image............

And you think they'll be more concerned considering CW is part of CBS anyways.

Anyhows what do you guys think about Supernatural/Arrow pairing?

#42 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

GUYS everyone, go search #cwupfront

Lots of great buzz for Arrow. Seems like everyone is happy about it.

The production values on Arrow are tight. Preview looked more like a movie trailer than a TV series. CWUpfront
The CW's 'Arrow' looks like 'Batman Begins' mixed with Crossfit. Basically awesome. cwupfront
Watching ARROW preview. Looks GOOOOD. Clip will be up athttp://TVLine.com shortly. cwupfront
The stars of Arrow, Stephen Amell and Katie Cassidy, at cwupfront
cwupfront arrow looks amazing!
cwupfront "cw has the goods" arrow looks interesting
Arrow has a Batman Begins vibe. I also think he shares Nikita's lair.CWUpfront
Arrow looks stellar. Sick stunts. Smallville fans won't be the only ones obsessing! CWUpfront
#43 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9172 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so excited to see the trailer when it comes out for the show

#44 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7967 posts) - - Show Bio

Bleh.

#45 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

I am so excited to see the trailer when it comes out for the show

It should be out in a minute.

#46 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Vance speaking his mind, like always. LOL.

#47 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by cattlebattle (12963 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:
OK...I am not to keen on that image, more or less because of the outfit but one image is not enough to go on...I'll have to wait to see a trailer or an episode
#49 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.