CW Casts Their Green Arrow

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow must have been successful enough on the CW's Smallville because the network did not wait long after the finale of that show to reveal their plans for a Green Arrow spin-off. In fact, we talked about this only two weeks ago. Now it seems the project has an actor tied to the role of Oliver Queen, and all the pieces of this puzzle are slowly falling into place.

Earlier today Deadline reported that actor Stephen Amell has been cast in the title role of the upcoming CW action drama Arrow. The actor will play Oliver Queen, the billionaire playboy whose skill with a bow and arrow are unparalleled. When Queen isn't playing the part of "industrialist-turned-outspoken politician in Star City," he will be playing the part of crime-fighter with a background in martial arts.

The story will focus on Queen as a 27 year old "reformed bad boy" who had previously spent five years of his life shipwrecked, struggling to survive on the coast of the South China Sea. Fans of the character might notice another familiar name pop up in the show's production credits that include Dinah 'Laurel' Lance, also known to comic fans as Black Canary; one of the founding member of the Birds of Prey and Queen's on-again off-again love interest. Additional character casting information can be found here.

== TEASER ==
Actor Stephen Amell

You might recognize actor Stephen Amell from his appearances on shows like 90210 and The Vampire Diaries as well as Private Practice. Now, he'll be getting a shot at the spotlight. From the little we know about Arrow, it sounds as if the story will be staying relatively true to the comic books. Are you looking forward to seeing Amell as Oliver Queen? Do you think the CW should have gone with actor Justin Hartley, who played Queen on Smallville for several seasons, or is it time he had a new face?

Source: Deadline

#1 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious about this series. I don't think it will be as great as Smallville, but I'm willing to give it a try.

#2 Edited by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Justin Hartley should have stick with the role.

And why they would they call it Arrow? No Green? That doesn't make the show entitled as a series based on the comics.

#3 Posted by JimmyOlsen1 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Stephen is an amazing actor. He always did a great job and I guess he will be a great Oliver Queen. I was a fan of Birds of Prey, I loved Smallville, I'm a big DC-comic fan ... I can't wait for this series!

#4 Edited by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

NO WAY!!!

Not to say he's not the right guy (which he does look perfect for), but now I remember who he is (Hung). Good luck man

#5 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it a try sure. Not too familiar with Stephen but I say give him a chance to try it out. After all I wasn't as big a fan of Justin Hartley as GA as others are so, lets see how this plays out.

#6 Posted by Dernman (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm soooooo glad they didn't go with Justin Hartley.

#7 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Impersonator: I agree i thought he should of also ,but who knows maybe he was not offered the role.

I have seen Stephen Amell act on Vampire Diaries and I never really thought he was the best character on the show and his acting did not make us fall in love with the character. If you are a great actor even a minor character the audience can fall in love. I hope he does a good job with the character ,but for now I think they could of picked a better actor for this role. But you never know Stephen Amell could surprise us.

#8 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Canary is in this!? I might watch this after all...maybe...

#9 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

How come rich bad boys are always escaping to china?

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant see this guy with a goatee tbh

#11 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

Are you serious? O___O

@haydenclaireheroes said:

@The Impersonator: I agree i thought he should of also ,but who knows maybe he was not offered the role.

I have seen Stephen Amell act on Vampire Diaries and I never really thought he was the best character on the show and his acting did not make us fall in love with the character. If you are a great actor even a minor character the audience can fall in love. I hope he does a good job with the character ,but for now I think they could of picked a better actor for this role. But you never know Stephen Amell could surprise us.

Hmmm....You could be right about the new actor. To be honest with you, I never got the chance to watch Vampire Diaries. So, I don't know if he's going to turn out right. Might as well give the newbie a chance. =P

#12 Posted by feargalr (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad that they didn't go with Justin hartley, like that would just scream smallville spin off, and they everyone would be like lets get all the smallville cast on for cameos... I saw this guy in private practice and he plays the hunky young EMT role well.. and at the end of the day, deep down, isn't that who Oliver Queen really is

#13 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

this will probably really suck. for those who will question my judgement, birds of prey. that is all.

#14 Posted by Dernman (15086 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Impersonator said:

@Dernman said:

Are you serious? O___O

100% I didn't like him and I also don't think this Green Arrow series show be connected to Smallville in any way even though I did like the show.
#15 Posted by The Poet (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

this could be fun...

#16 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw this.

#17 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

They should've stuck with Justin Hartley:/

But I would still give it a shot!

#18 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry i am not feeling this one. Especially after my bad experience with the Wonder Woman pilot. I will see it if I heard its good.

#19 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

I'll give it a try sure. Not too familiar with Stephen but I say give him a chance to try it out. After all I wasn't as big a fan of Justin Hartley as GA as others are so, lets see how this plays out.

Same here. Justin Hartley GA started out brilliantly then Idk what happened, he just wasn't the same in the later seasons.

Since Green Arrow is my favorite character, I am definitely watching this series. Stephen can pull this off. Hopefully it is very good and it has a long successful run

#20 Posted by mksystem74 (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad choice, the guy was so vanilla on Hung. Couldn't stand him, I don't see him as Ollie at all. I'll admit, my knowledge of the character is to the extent of Smallville and the New 52, but it seems thats what they're going for anyways.

#21 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I would check out it. Looks cool not like Smallville (That was a huge thing) but looks good

#22 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll watch it. I really liked Hartley, but I'll give this a shot.

#23 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, all I can say is

#24 Posted by Legionlover (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Wish they had just spun this out of Smallville when that show ended. They could have kept the same showrunners and kept Justin. Don't know why they're (i.e., WB) going this route.

#25 Posted by Pokeysteve (8299 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol they're taking one one DC's best martial artists and making her a legal aid!! My goodness.

#26 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

women be going crazy over this

#27 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all the DC characters, Green Arrow is the one to get his own show?

#28 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, hrmmm, well.... O_o we'll see.

#29 Posted by Toastalchemist (169 posts) - - Show Bio

"Oliver Queen, the billionaire playboy..." Is anyone else getting tired of how many of these turn up in comics? I'm don't know that much about Green Arrow, but I wish they had gone a different route.

#30 Posted by kennybaese (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kind of a bummer that they didn't just go the straight spin off route and take the Hartley Green Arrow from Smallville and give him his own series. I wonder if it was something weird with Harley wanting too much money or not wanting to come back to do the show or something.

#31 Posted by sweatboy (810 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally a new show to watch! i enjoyed Smallville. After Rosenbaum left and the creative team changed it was way less cooler but i still kept watching to know how it went. Green Arrow was new to me and i enjoyed it, even though this version was not as much of a people's hero as he's supposed to be in comics, arguing a lot and something of a communist. Green Arrow had some flashbacks in Smallville, Excelsior! had a reunion of old schoolmates Olliver Queen and Luthor, and when Arrow got poisoned, his history with the Contessa was revealed. Maybe this new series (if it makes through the pilot, or is it already a sure thing?) will go into more of that. I want a new show, that's all i'm saying

#32 Edited by LuffyDUzumaki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't make all 90210 like with models everywhere trying to pose as actors and unneeded love triangles I'll be fine, but this is the CW *sighs*

I don't know why I was picturing Jax from Sons of Anarchy playing the role of Oliver Queen

#33 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least he's hot.

I hope they do well on this and not make it like SV.

#34 Posted by The Stegman (24373 posts) - - Show Bio

How the heck does he get a show but Wonder Woman doesn't even get a pilot??

#35 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

i rather have seen a supergirl show with laura vandervoort but thats just me idk about this show it might work or it might fail like the wonder woman pilot failed. we will see now iam wondering if there gonna cut off any conection to smallville i assume they are sinse its a diferent actor. i might watch it maybe but i doubt it. i did not like ga on smallville much either i like the charater but not that much.

#36 Posted by Onemoreposter (4047 posts) - - Show Bio

Shoot. Anyone think this will affect adversely on Supermax getting made? I mean, I guess they could always use a different hero as the film isn't really character specific but Ollie always seemed the right placement for it. Was Smallville on the air when Superman Returns came out? Eh, Supermax is probably a pipe dream anyways.

In any case I won't be watching "Arrow."

#37 Posted by pingclang (277 posts) - - Show Bio

@Toastalchemist:Well, originally they made him just another Batman, all the way down to having an arrowcar and a boy sidekick, then he lost his fortune and became a serious badass and now he's rich again with the relaunch. I don't have much faith in this show. I really don't.

#38 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

Shoot. Anyone think this will affect adversely on Supermax getting made? I mean, I guess they could always use a different hero as the film isn't really character specific but Ollie always seemed the right placement for it. Was Smallville on the air when Superman Returns came out? Eh, Supermax is probably a pipe dream anyways.

In any case I won't be watching "Arrow."

Smallville ran from 2001-2011, Superman Returns came out in 2006

Seems to me it would be more likely that Green Arrow would get a movie if he had a show

#39 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: Supermax is the movie that got away from us fanboys. From everything I've read about Supermax, it wasn't Green Arrow that was the selling point of the movie anyway, it was the villains being cameod in it. The Joker, Lex Luthor, etc. The movie script was rumored to be SO GOOD that it was sure hit, but for what ever reason just never got made. The rumor I heard that I was the most happy with hearing, was that so many studios were fighting over it that it just got to expensive. That's pure bullshit no doubt, I just like to think that was the reason. I'm still looking for a site where I can read the script for myself but no can help me there. Oh well.

#40 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm fine with this casting. Much less of a pretty boy than Hartley.

#41 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Now the question is: What will this look like design wise and will the tone fit G.A.?

#42 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Mehhhh

#43 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79:He's always been kinda popular for some reason, even before his Smallville appearance I think. I do remember enjoying his animated appearances as a kid, maybe that has something to do with it.

#44 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

I never realized how scruffy new 52 Green Arrow looked!

No Justin Hartley, I want my Justin Hartley Dammit!

#45 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have gone with Justin Hartley

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.