'ARROW' Will Stay True To The Comics

• 58 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

If you were one of the few people that had a chance to catch the screening of ARROW at Fan Expo in Canada this past weekend before the show premieres October 10th on the CW, then you should count yourself lucky. Based on a report, a whole lot of effort was put into the show, and it doesn't seem like the cast and crew cut a lot of corners when developing the plot and the outline for the upcoming series. Just how much thought was put into the character? According to actor Stephen Amell, before he was even cast as Oliver Queen he was made to watch a 40+ minute long video on how not to shoot an arrow.

"She [Patricia Gonzalez, Amell's acting tutor] made me [Amell] watch a forty-five minute video on archery that's done improperly in film and television and video before she even let me pick up the bow," he said. "She immediately said that as enthusiastic as comic book fans were going to be, archery fans were going to be just as enthusiastic, so don't have bad form."

The attention to detail of something like how to shoot an arrow could be a reflection of the attitude and the way the people behind the show are approaching production. If they put this much effort into shooting arrows, maybe the same can be said of the portrayal of the comic characters on the show itself. How true will they be to the characters we see in the comics? According to Amell, even though they may not explicitly refer to him as "Green Arrow," it is more than just implied.

"I can tell you this: Whether the color 'green' is directly referenced or not, the legacy of the character has been respected. But the color 'green' certainly is referenced a lot."

Amell went on to reveal that the people behind the creation of the new series are comic fans themselves, so there's a good chance that they will stay somewhat true to what we see in the books we love. According to Amell, "the only people who love comic books more than you guys are the guys who write this show. They love it." One of those comic fans that will be scripting the show is none other than DC's Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, who has plenty of experience writing Green Arrow -- and will be with the launch of DC's newest title, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA. In addition, the first episode is said to contain a whole lot of "easter eggs." Expect to see Deathstroke's mask, the appearance of the Huntress on the show, Deadshot and of course, "Speedy."

All of this sounds like good news to us, but what do you think? Are you looking forward to watching ARROW on the CW October 10th?

Source: CBR

#1 Posted by Inverno (12832 posts) - - Show Bio

Still think Daredevil would have the same luck as TV series.

#2 Posted by SquallCharlson (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so excited for this!

#3 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

There've been so many different takes on Oliver Queen that saying "true to the comics" doesn't mean much.

#4 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7497 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubt I will follow it but wouldn't mind seeing the first ep.

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh sweet jesus, why does Johns have to be behind everything...

Oh well, I'll stick check it out.

#6 Posted by CitizenJP (570 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm struggling to read my New 52 Green Arrow comics lol...they're uhmm...hard to get into at the moment. I'm trying to like it, anyways. But I am looking forward to the show. I hope it boosts my morale for this character.

#7 Posted by NightFang (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

There've been so many different takes on Oliver Queen that saying "true to the comics" doesn't mean much.

Indeed, I mean Merlyn his best friend. I think Smallville had the right idea for the character.

http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Vordigan

#8 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1784 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Seriously, the man is everywhere! It won't stop me from watching the show (I remain cautiously optimistic, really hoping it will be great) just as his involvement on JLA won't stop me from reading it, but really Johns... stop hogging everything, other people like to be creative too.

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

I remain cautiously optimistic about this show

#10 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. I hope they don't make him too stern. I hate that people in hollywood (and in even comics) feel that in order for comic characters to be taken seriously they have to act really serious.

#11 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Seriously, the man is everywhere! It won't stop me from watching the show (I remain cautiously optimistic, really hoping it will be great) just as his involvement on JLA won't stop me from reading it, but really Johns... stop hogging everything, other people like to be creative too.

It's too true! He's drastically over-exposing himself and in the process, stretching his writing capabilities too thin.

As if they already weren't...

#12 Posted by Referee (5589 posts) - - Show Bio

"the people behind the creation of the new series are comic fans themselves"

Thats enough for me.

#13 Posted by BradyDale (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I will watch it. I'd be lying if I said there was any chance I'd be watching it anywhere close to October 10th. I will probably rent it via iTunes or Amazon or something. But I'll watch it. I'm psyched for it. I just have a hard time remembering TV exists.

#14 Posted by longbowhunter (5840 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I remain cautiously optimistic about this show

Could'nt have said it better.

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: I know its going to be different from the comics but I can forgive that if they can at least get the spirit of the character right.

#16 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to get really excited for this show. It seems like it will be pretty violent too :)

#17 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

'true to the comics' pfff. yeah. thats what they said about birds of prey.

#18 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Wondering why Speedy is in quotes...

#19 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been disappointed in what Ive seen so far - Ill check it out of course but dont really care. Wish we had a better Green Arrow Comic too

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27380 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this tv show can rescue Green Arrows book because there is seriously no direction to that crap, the only time Olly has been wrote half way decent in the New 52 is in the Justice League  

#21 Posted by Icon (2044 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait. XD

#22 Posted by Bestostero (5611 posts) - - Show Bio

Speedy! ...but no Black Canary?

#23 Posted by EmmRoss (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Stay true to the comics? Haven't they already changed character and place names before the show's even aired? Dinah is "Laurel" and apparently has no powers? Star City is "Starling City"? Ollie and Dinah are both brunettes? The whole thing is gritty and emo? It's like they couldn't get the rights to Batman, so they're skating as close to Batmanizing (just made that up) Ollie instead.

Yep, staying true to the comics alright.

It's a shame Ollie's also been shafted in the comics too though. He hasn't been written well since that God-awful "Cry For Justice" nonsense. Robinson screwed him up, and JT Krul finished him off.

On a lesser note of course, Ollie without the beard. . . Just aint Ollie.

#24 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMess1428 said:

Isn't it obvious? Either Roy or Mia are going to be in the show, but not as Speedy exactly. Maybe have Ollie train them and help him out, but the public wouldn't really know about him/her and therefore they wouldn't be Speedy EXACTLY though they'd fill the role.

#25 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@TheMess1428 said:

Isn't it obvious? Either Roy or Mia are going to be in the show, but not as Speedy exactly. Maybe have Ollie train them and help him out, but the public wouldn't really know about him/her and therefore they wouldn't be Speedy EXACTLY though they'd fill the role.

The reason why I said it was because there could be a chance that Speedy could be a reference to a dog or a car. Roy or Mia would be better choices, obviously.

#26 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

So, they learned nothing from SMALLVILLE. That did well partly on just doing it's own thing.

The costumed heroes have never done well when translated to TV. I'd be surprised if this lasted a season.

#27 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

@FoxxFireArt:

#28 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading the article I am increasingly more optimistic for this show.

#29 Posted by Rainooo (8 posts) - - Show Bio

So they paid attention to Mr. Arrow, but what about Huntress? Did they do their research there?

#30 Posted by Herx (366 posts) - - Show Bio

firstly i just have to lol at the statement of "the launch of DC's newest title, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA". yep, because we've never ever heard of a title like that before :P

I'm still optamistic about the show. If their that concerned over getting the archery right than it means that they are taking it seriously, though it might be easier to please archery fans than us comics lot as we do ever so much enjoy poking holes in television adaptions and pointing out how it's not like the original source material. We're the most difficult to please :P But from what I've seen so far from the clips, trailers and screen shots I'm optamistic. So long as they get the mood of the show right and maintain it throughout it'll be great, though i may be jumping ahead there on my judjment :P But be sure i will deffinantly sit down and watch the first episode :)

#31 Edited by spikevalentine (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, that's why it doesn't even have the same name or costume, because it is true to the comics :P

#32 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm ecstatic to see how they handle Huntress.

#33 Posted by sagejonathan (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

I never watch TV, but I think I'll watch this.

#34 Posted by Vortex13 (12156 posts) - - Show Bio

"So far it would seem that Merlyn has only been seen with a normal bow, a regular bow, and a compound bow"

.......Taken from the Merlyn page... I wish I knew enough about Merlyn to be able to say the actual types of bows he is using but, for the record "Normal" and "Regular" are not traditional terms for types of bows. lol.

#35 Posted by crazyflashfan11 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icon said:

Can't wait. XD

#36 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's be real, not even the comics are true to the comics anymore

#37 Posted by playdohsrepublic (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this means we get a few boxing glove arrows!

#38 Posted by Fudgie29 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope this show is good. It sounds like they're taking it seriously. Good lucks

#39 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

I groaned when I read the show will try to stay true and be believable; those are two things that do not exactly coincide. But after reading this article I do feel better about the show.

#40 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

::Perks:: Did you say Speedy...?! Interest in this show suddenly spiked for me now! Who cares if its Green Arrow in everything but name? And just the fact that his acting tutor insisted on showing him what proper archery technique is not shows to me that the creators behind this show are devoting themselves to something that will be great. Plus, Geoff Johns people! Awesomeness!

#41 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

True to the comics when he doesn't even have a mask? Still, I won't act like I'm not looking forward to the show. I do honestly hope it's good

#42 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8755 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard the show is not going to have any superpowers it is going to be very real. That is how they are going to be different from Smallville

#43 Posted by The Velvet Rabbit (262 posts) - - Show Bio

@EmmRoss said:

Stay true to the comics? Haven't they already changed character and place names before the show's even aired? Dinah is "Laurel" and apparently has no powers? Star City is "Starling City"? Ollie and Dinah are both brunettes? The whole thing is gritty and emo? It's like they couldn't get the rights to Batman, so they're skating as close to Batmanizing (just made that up) Ollie instead.

Yep, staying true to the comics alright.

It's a shame Ollie's also been shafted in the comics too though. He hasn't been written well since that God-awful "Cry For Justice" nonsense. Robinson screwed him up, and JT Krul finished him off.

On a lesser note of course, Ollie without the beard. . . Just aint Ollie.

I agree with you on quite a bit of this, though I admit I'll still be watching it, if for nothing more than curiosity. still, it always bugs me when I see this, and I can't honestly say why I should care, although I can understand the error - Dinah is a brunette, and has been for many years: the blonde hair is a wig.

#44 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to it, although I hope it is more of a comic show and less of a detective CSI, crime solver thing.

#45 Posted by Pokeysteve (7022 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how they made "Laurel Lance" a lawyer. Just like in the comics!!!! I'll watch it (even though I hate GA) until I see that they made the should be Canary as pathetic as I think will.

#46 Posted by entropy_aegis (13631 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring on Deathstroke.

#47 Posted by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks "Interesting", I will keep my eyes on it.

#48 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

As if. I know that they're just going to make Dinah the love interest. I'd rather see a show about Black Canary.

#49 Posted by Nantucket (49 posts) - - Show Bio

I purchased Sky TV just for this so yes, I am looking forward to it!

#50 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan said:

I never watch TV, but I think I'll watch this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.