Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

'Arrow' Season 3: 5 Reasons to Watch the Premiere

• 51 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The third season of Arrow is almost here! After a massive conflict with Deathstroke, Oliver Queen's heading in an all-new direction. Slade Wilson might be sitting in a cell (hopefully not for too long... the Suicide Squad sure could use a new member, right?), but there's big changes heading to Starling City. New characters are entering the picture, the world's expanding (Flash crossover!), heroes and villains are undergoing changes, and the flashbacks are going to a brand new location. Needless to say, there's a lot going on, so we want to celebrate the show's return and highlight five very important reasons to check out the season three premiere. Oh, and honorable mention goes to the 99.9% chance of Stephen Amell being shirtless at some point. For people attracted to him, it's not a shabby sight. For everyone else, it serves a nice bit of inspiration to eat right and exercise more, yes? Anyway, let's discuss the big reasons to watch!

No Caption Provided

There's obviously spoilers in here. If you're not current and don't want anything ruined, go catch-up via Netflix or some other way!

Building a new mythos

No Caption Provided

Season Three looks like it's going to do a lot of worldbuilding. Brandon Routh has been cast as Ray Palmer, a.k.a. Atom. Many shows have multiple characters who are shockingly witty and could be successful comedians in their free time, but in the world of Arrow, Felicity tends to be the only especially quick-witted person. According to interviews, Palmer's move to take over Oliver's company will be filled with lighthearted banter between him and the tech-savvy character. Could that get Oliver a little jealous? All signs are pointing to yes! Not only will his emergence mean more comedic dialogue, but his play to control the company is going to be a big plot point and it has been implied that, if he's going to become the Atom, he'll crossover into The Flash, too. So that's yet another link which will boost the feeling of this being a shared universe. We'd babble about Ra's al Ghul being this season's big bad, but he's apparently not appearing until the fourth episode.

Now that Laurel's back on track, both mentally and with her career, her dynamic with Oliver is sure to be far more enjoyable instead of frustrating. Throw in the fact she knows what Oliver does in his free time and that's sure to make the dynamic even more interesting. Meanwhile, it looks like we'll get more emotionally compelling scenes with John Diggle -- a character who has mostly been a badass -- and we've yet to see what this season has in store for Sara Lance! And while we hear she won't appear in the premiere, it's also great knowing Thea's embarking on a more dramatic and downright cool journey with her father, Malcolm Merlyn. With everyone essentially in a new status quo, this is more than likely going to be an appropriate jumping-on spot for new viewers. So if you've been wondering about the show but you just don't have the time to catch-up, we strongly recommend giving the premiere a shot.

"Olicity"

No Caption Provided

Okay, this is the one that'll probably make some of you leave the article or leave some not-so-kind comments below. Love or hate "Olicity," there's just no denying that the CW show has established a huge amount of tension between the two. Now that things are seemingly in a good place, can you really blame them for wanting to see if a relationship between them could actually work? It's not like Oliver's proposing or anything -- he's just asking her on a date. Let them have just a little bit of happiness, yeah?

Given their connection and all that they've been through, I'm interested to see how it'll play out and whether it's something that'll expand or fade away. Will this blossom into a strong relationship or will they discover that they're simply too different and they're better off as close friends? As long as they don't drag it out or set it up just to eventually have Felicity killed (can we please avoid that trope?), I'm looking forward to seeing them finally try and express how they feel. They've kept it held inside for so long, so to see them finally lower their guard and open up should be engaging.

The stunts

No Caption Provided

Arrow's drama may be a little too heavy-handed at times, but one area where the show's consistently awesome is the action. The hand-to-hand sequences are brutal, the chase sequences and shootouts are frenetic, and it's often directed in a way which really compliments the fast-paced strikes and accurate projectiles. You're basically guaranteed to have some kind of action sequence in each and every chapter and, fortunately for us, the cast and crew always do a great job making sure these fights are swift, immersive, and a total blast to witness.

Sure, it's a bit of a bummer that Oliver seems to enjoy using his fists and feet more than his bow, but his martial arts sequences are fun and almost always exciting. As you can see in the upcoming episode's first clip, it's obvious the season three premiere will continue the show's tradition of thrilling action scenes. The clip adds in a little bit of creativity, too. We've yet to see how the new story elements will unfold, but we're pretty certain the stunts are going to rock.

Goodbye island, hello Hong Kong

Photo credit: Cate Cameron
    Photo credit: Cate Cameron

We're not 100% certain this flashback storyline will appear in the premiere, but given the show's formula, it certainly seems likely. Now, the island offered a nice contrast to Starling City's often dark and brooding atmosphere and it regularly complimented the modern timeline's story well, too. However, we've had two seasons of tales from the island and it's time to move on. So, season three's going to switch it up and it'll bring us all the way to Hong Kong, a place where Oliver's growth will continue as he learns more critical lessons.

In Hong Kong, Oliver's going to encounter the stern and calculating Amanda Waller. While Waller's felt like a pretty bland character so far, the world she's connected to is full of potential. Plus, having a boosted role will hopefully give the character a little more depth and a chance to work with more compelling material. As if that wasn't enough, Oliver will train with a character that DC fans have most likely heard of: Katana. Who knows what else this new setting will offer? Bring on more backstory!

Arsenal

No Caption Provided

It's time for Roy Harper to step into a positive spotlight! The dude's had a rough road, so it's understandable he hasn't been the most uplifting and levelheaded character around. Now that Thea Queen's not around, his relationship woes won't get in the way or hinder his mentality. Sure, that's likely going to emerge whenever Thea does reappear -- something we're looking forward to -- and we'll probably have little bits of reflection to show Roy misses her, but his mind can mostly remain focused now, especially since the Mirakuru is no longer making him have temper tantrums. And, when he does blatantly miss Thea, it's something he and Oliver can bond over.

Roy can finally be a proper sidekick to Ollie and an important part of team Arrow. Now that he's back on the team and ready to help Oliver with whatever comes their way, it's only fitting that he receives a spiffy new "Arsenal" suit, right? Green Arrow and Arsenal fighting side by side is something we can all get excited about. Just let it sink in that team Arrow will likely take on Ra's al Ghul at some point. Here's hoping that'll be as epic as it sounds!

'Arrow' will return this Wednesday night at 8/7c on The CW. We'll have a review posted on the homepage sometime after the episode ends.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'll be seeing it, but not on the first airing (the Boston Bruins season starts on the same day).

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Awesome. Although I live in the UK which gives me time to catch up. When does it premiere in the UK?

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Stephen Amell is a pretty awesome off the set too. He's really proactive, using his fame for charities, and just being himself. He's taken the concept of being a hero personally. That for me plus his activeness in the show, is what along with the points Gregg made, make Arrow a must-watch.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Roy's costume looks badass.

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CaptainGenisVell
    TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stephen Amell is a pretty awesome off the set too. He's really proactive, using his fame for charities, and just being himself. He's taken the concept of being a hero personally. That for me plus his activeness in the show, is what along with the points Gregg made, make Arrow a must-watch.

Couldn't agree more! He seems like a genuinely awesome dude. Can't wait for this season!

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost closed the article after you mentioned Olicity, but I gave you a chance. This is a first warning. Stop that.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't get past the whole "Stephen Amell is contractually obligated to take off his shirt once per episode" thing.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

1. Arrow's awesome

2. Arrow's awesome

3. Arrow's awesome

4. Arrow's awesome

5. Arrow's awesome

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching because it's cheap popcorn entertainment that references or contains characters I like.

The set design, acting, fight choreography...it's all subpar and the lack of budget shows. Kind of like Smallville. But..... it's cheap popcorn entertainment, enjoyable at 4:20 most days or to go to sleep by.

Plus, the standard CW teen relationship drama that constitutes half the show can be oddly captivating.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I'm really excited for Arrow & The Flash.

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
    GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait. Specially looking forward to more heroes making appearances.

The only thing I don't look forward to is the forced relationship which seems to happen every couple of weeks.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

IDK, this show ruined Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow...... sigh :(

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Gunning for it

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By SaintWildcard

I will not be watching it for Olicity that's for damn sure. But I will for the other reasons

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meet Captain Cold guys.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

1. Arrow's awesome

2. Arrow's awesome

3. Arrow's awesome

4. Arrow's awesome

5. Arrow's awesome

Pretty much, yeah XD

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks nice.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Olicity NOOOOOOOOO. I understan why you named it but I want to pretend that it doesn´t exist( because it doesn´t exist).

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Saint_Sophie

I love the show but:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meet Captain Cold guys.

Cool pic. Aw crap. Bad pun. Sorry.

And with that it's shaping up to be a decent week for superheroing.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this so much, he's hilarious on Facebook, and encourage fans to create memes every week

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

I almost closed the article after you mentioned Olicity, but I gave you a chance. This is a first warning. Stop that.

THIS

AND SO MUCH THIS!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So excited to see Roy Palmer... and I'm not even sure why...

Roy looks really damm badass. I never expected the suit to look so perfect on him.

Hey Olicity fans... you may not want to watch the promo at the end of Flash, my boy Barry's got it covered.

Ooooo kill em

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#28  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Kay, I'll watch

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Too the depths of hell with Olicity!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for season 3 but Katana's inclusion confuses me, I like the character and I'm sure the Arrow crew will do a creat job with her but seeing as how this seasons flashback are based in Hong Kong why not include a Chinese hero, a member of the Great Ten perhaps? I mean Celestial Archer is right there.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ducey13

Have they confirmed yet if Roy's going to be called Speedy, Arsenal, or Red Arrow?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#32  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SaintWildcard

I knew that meme would exist. I have failed this joke with my laziness to properly look for it :(

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for it.

tha_mercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Felicity is more like a kid sister to Oliver than a romantic equal... Debating on whether to continue watching this show.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Felicity is more like a kid sister to Oliver than a romantic equal... Debating on whether to continue watching this show.

Liar!

tha_mercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: Lmao, Pyro, my views have changed since we last discussed the show. I started raging more and more often near the end of the second season.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mercenary: I get you I get you, but I'm a sucker for romance (LOL, have to admit) but I easily understand the criticism xD

How are you duuude, been ages!

tha_mercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: Ha! I think it's just the damsel in distress shade they throw over the females in the show that inadvertently makes me resent them, and then I want to punch someone --__--

I'm good, yourself? Yeah I pop by now and again.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mercenary: I am just glad it isn't Laurel :P

Good busy, you know the drill. Always busy!

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By jwalser3

Should be just as good as the last.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TrueMarvel

Arrow, Agents of Shield, Gotham, and Flash are all my favorite shows on air! I'm going to have very busy weeks! I didn't even mention Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and The Big Bang theory! and Sunday, Monday night, and Thursday night football. Life is good.

Omg I'm so lucky. This is what happens when instead of being a fanboy, you like both sides(Marvel and DC). You experience so much more

My list of currently watched shows:

Action shows- Arrow, A.O.S., Gotham, Flash

Comedy shows- The Big Band Theory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Sports- Football!

Teen Drama's(guilty pleasures)- Awkward, Faking It

Now if only Shameless US, and Masters of Sex were in the middle of their seasons.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arrow, Agents of Shield, Gotham, and Flash are all my favorite shows on air! I'm going to have very busy weeks! I didn't even mention Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and The Big Bang theory! and Sunday, Monday night, and Thursday night football. Life is good.

Omg I'm so lucky. This is what happens when instead of being a fanboy, you like both sides(Marvel and DC). You experience so much more

My list of currently watched shows:

Action shows- Arrow, A.O.S., Gotham, Flash

Comedy shows- The Big Band Theory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Sports- Football!

Teen Drama's(guilty pleasures)- Awkward, Faking It

Now if only Shameless US, and Masters of Sex were in the middle of their seasons.

Aside from the Teen Drama's...we watch the same exact shows.

I use netflix to fill in the blank times with How I met your mother and Walking Dead.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:
    @the_mercenary said:

Liar!

Uh no, she's really not. If they had some short of brother/sister relationship then all of those times Felicity was drooling over Oliver while he was working out with no shirt on would become very, very creepy.

They've been teasing an Oliver/Felicity relationship since season one, it's only natural that we'd finally see it happen giving everything they've been through together.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I am sooooo excited!!!

tha_mercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Obviously not meant as a literal statement. Not in the mood to argue over the internet, I'll agree to disagree.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.