Follow

Green Arrow

Character » Green Arrow appears in 4302 issues.

Oliver Queen was a spoiled, thrill-seeking playboy, until he was left stranded on a deserted island for several years. There, he trained to become a master archer in order to survive. After his return home, he used his new-found skills and his wealth to became the costumed vigilante known as Green Arrow.

Arrow may or may not be in some greater DC U, why should we care if it is?

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Edited By MrMazz

We haven’t had any of those conversations other than to say, what characters are we allowed to use this year and advocate or request certain ones that are of interest to us,” says Berlanti. “And every now and then, they’ll say, ‘You can’t have that guy.’ They don’t say why, and we figure out why later on.”

Whether the TV-sized Green Arrow and Flash are bumped up to movie star status or the characters are reinterpreted for future films, Berlanti says he’s just happy to be part of his heroes’ Hollywood moment. “Getting to participate in any way in the story – considering how much they meant to me as a kid – is really, I just feel lucky about that all the time,” he says. “And it evolves the way it’s supposed to…When it comes out naturally, that’s when it’s best. And that’s been the fate of Arrow, and I guess that’s the path we’ll follow.”

No Caption Provided

Arrow Executive Producer Greg Berlanti in an interview with Fandango.com on wether or not Arrow and the presumbed future flash show, are connected to a greater DC cinematic universe (not that they've actually set one up or anything) ala Marvel.

My biggest take away from this is the continued line from DC based projects of all sorts that WB hasn't had the conversation yet! Except if you take Del Toro's word that his Justice League Dark film would have to fit and as much as I want to, Del Toro says a lot of things.

I see no reason why you can't say Arrow and Man of Steel don't happen in the same universe (beyond Arrow not referencing the fact MoS happened). They both have the same visual aesthetic and tone which is the key. They just happen to use it in different ways: One, Arrow, turns it into a bit of gritty camp, the other, Man of Steel, takes itself waaay to seriously.

If there is one thing Marvel Studios has gotten right about the MCU it is a shared visual aesthetic(lots of primary colors) with a generally shared tone of being "up beat" which isn't to say things aren't serious. This shared visual asethetic has allowed to them to make a variety of genre films that feel siimilar but are their own thing.

If Arrow isn't apart of Man of Steel so be it. I'm not that caught up in if it is or isn't. You'd think comic fans would learn to except the media being presented and not get bogged down in contonuity BS. The worst part if it isn't is the fact that they have a fairly popular and cheap Oliver Queen.

Who's to say they don't retconn Arrow into whatever imagine universe anyway? This is a comics property after all.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Arrow is too cheesy, too soap opera-y, and lacks the same gravitas/ epic feel of Man of Steel. It would drag the whole DC Cinematic Universe down. /MyOpinion

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Keep them separate.

Its a terrible idea to mix TV and Movies: Example Agents of S(hit)ield.

You immediately handcuff both universes by doing then, because you have to acknowledge everything that each one does. Which means before you do ANYTHING of significance it has to be okayed and planned

Or in other words its just a big clusterf***

I love MoS and Arrow and I do not want them in the same universe. There's nothing to gain.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Arrow is too cheesy, too soap opera-y, and lacks the same gravitas/ epic feel of Man of Steel. It would drag the whole DC Cinematic Universe down. /MyOpinion

Pretty much this. I like Arrow as a separate series in its own continuity. But I cannot see it fitting in the Cinematic Universe. And I'd much rather see a more traditional adaptation of Green Arrow on film, if it ever comes to that.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rogueshadow  Moderator

I think t could work, t would just have to be done a hell of a lot better than AOS. The helpful aspect is that Arrow actually precedes the DCMV and is actually really good, so we have a good baseline from there.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

Now if you've seen my blog, you know I wrote a blog post about Arrow not being Green Arrow.

However after seeing what is actually is happening with the show, its becoming more like The Dark Knight Trilogy fan fiction:

• It's realistic style in the style of Nolan but looks rather cheap about this.
    • The island flashbacks play linearly like both TDKT and Man of Steel.
    • Deathstroke basically plays Liam Neeson's role
    • Dinah Laurel Lance aka The Black Canary is playing the Rachel Dawes role unfortunately.
    • Diggle is a mix of Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox and Michael Caine's Alfred.
    • The whole hostage situation on Christmas Eve plays exactly like Joker's various hostage scenarios in The Dark Knight particularly the one at the end.
    • The copycat archers is exactly like the beginning of The Dark Knight with Batman jumping in to one of his copycats.
    • Oliver is basically brooding which is odd because in the comics, he mocks Bruce about this.
    • The Earthquake/City wide destruction is basically Bane/League of Shadows/assassins in TDKR which in turns is based on two Batman comic story lines.
    • Count Vertigo is an exact copy of Cillan Murphy's Scarecrow particularly because he acts creepily which Murphy did so well but here its a bit dull.
    • He uses an funny voice.
    • The League of Assassins/Ra's Al Ghul mentioned which is odd.
    • Black Canary kills and almost echoes Nolan's Catwoman and Sin is basically Holly Robinson

Add anything else. But Green Arrow deserves to have his own voice not a simple copy of Nolan's Batman because Green Arrow has always been funnier, social-political and quick-witted. Basically he shouldn't be reverted back to being the 1950s knock-off he once was.

I love this.

I think they should go for a Multimedia Multiverse.

Arrow takes too much of Nolan Batman and this Batman would had never lived in a world with Superhumans.

They should go this over the whole one universe, Agents of shield shows how hard is too keep a show if it need to live in the same universe.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@lyrafay said:

Now if you've seen my blog, you know I wrote a blog post about Arrow not being Green Arrow.

However after seeing what is actually is happening with the show, its becoming more like The Dark Knight Trilogy fan fiction:

• Dinah Laurel Lance aka The Black Canary is playing the Rachel Dawes role unfortunately.
    • The whole hostage situation on Christmas Eve plays exactly like Joker's various hostage scenarios in The Dark Knight particularly the one at the end.
    • The copycat archers is exactly like the beginning of The Dark Knight with Batman jumping in to one of his copycats.
    • Oliver is basically brooding which is odd because in the comics, he mocks Bruce about this.
    • The Earthquake/City wide destruction is basically Bane/League of Shadows/assassins in TDKR which in turns is based on two Batman comic story lines.
    • Count Vertigo is an exact copy of Cillan Murphy's Scarecrow particularly because he acts creepily which Murphy did so well but here its a bit dull.
    • Black Canary kills and almost echoes Nolan's Catwoman and Sin is basically Holly Robinson

Add anything else. But Green Arrow deserves to have his own voice not a simple copy of Nolan's Batman because Green Arrow has always been funnier, social-political and quick-witted. Basically he shouldn't be reverted back to being the 1950s knock-off he once was.

I love this.

I think they should go for a Multimedia Multiverse.

Arrow takes too much of Nolan Batman and this Batman would had never lived in a world with Superhumans.

They should go this over the whole one universe, Agents of shield shows how hard is too keep a show if it need to live in the same universe.

Like I said before its basically Dark Knight Trilogy fan fiction. I much have traditional liberal wise-cracking Green Arrow who would actually piss off by Superman showing up and ruining an entire city (mind you he would like the Metropolis to probably rebuild into an eco-friendly city). I also want a different actor playing the Flash on the big screen as well (even though I liked Grant Gustin). And besides Stephen Amell is a terrible actor who is bland and boring, something that isn't Oliver known for. And let's be reminded that DC is different from Marvel, it can what it wants and doesn't have to follow their rules!

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: I didnt get why people didnt notice this since the first episode, the attitude he has is Batman.

I notice this since the first episode.

I just hope WB forget their wild dream to compete against Marvel and start doing things of thir own.

Also Amell is doing the best job he can with what he has, is not his fault.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@deathpoolthet1000: Yeah I hope so too!! DC shouldn't be copying Marvel, it needs to stand on it own and become bigger better and badder than Marvel!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hasn't it been confirmed that Arrow (and the Flash TV show) won't be in the DC Cinematic Universe?

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: Good artist copy great ones steal, Hollywood is full of good and great artist. There is certainly no reason for WB to ape Disney-Marvel's aesthetic, continuing to use the Nolan muted colors kind of works, but they should whole heardly steal the 2 part framework Disney-Marvel have used to make some of the highest grossing films of the summer year in and out.

1. They get the characters "right" not comic cannon but for the film things feel right there is an arc everything works fine. This FilmCritHulk piece sums up my feelings on Man of Steel pretty well as well as points out what I think Arrow is doing right in season 2. Because the character works the film works allowing you to make a DCCU (or whatever acronym is decieded upon)
    2. Having a connected universe works and is seemingly the future for trans media blockbusters. Warner Bros want in that game bad, why else is Batman suddenly in a sequel to Man of Steel. This connected universe also lets you build event pictures and makes things like a long rumored Justice League film work waaaay more. You can't launch a JL movie and introduce 4-5 characters there isn't enough time in 2 hours and 30 minutes.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SilverPool

@supbatz said:

@deaditegonzo said:

Pretty much this. I like Arrow as a separate series in its own continuity. But I cannot see it fitting in the Cinematic Universe. And I'd much rather see a more traditional adaptation of Green Arrow on film, if it ever comes to that.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

@lyrafay: Good artist copy great ones steal, Hollywood is full of good and great artist. There is certainly no reason for WB to ape Disney-Marvel's aesthetic, continuing to use the Nolan muted colors kind of works, but they should whole heardly steal the 2 part framework Disney-Marvel have used to make some of the highest grossing films of the summer year in and out.

1. They get the characters "right" not comic cannon but for the film things feel right there is an arc everything works fine. This FilmCritHulk piece sums up my feelings on Man of Steel pretty well as well as points out what I think Arrow is doing right in season 2. Because the character works the film works allowing you to make a DCCU (or whatever acronym is decieded upon)
    2. Having a connected universe works and is seemingly the future for trans media blockbusters. Warner Bros want in that game bad, why else is Batman suddenly in a sequel to Man of Steel. This connected universe also lets you build event pictures and makes things like a long rumored Justice League film work waaaay more. You can't launch a JL movie and introduce 4-5 characters there isn't enough time in 2 hours and 30 minutes.

The only problem is that Agents of Shield is dying a painfull and terrible death.

Besides the point that Arrow has changed character for weak version and with weak casting choices.

Arrow makes the universe weaker and it will live to the hype of being in Batman shadow even more.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Where I'd say SHIELD is at this point is creatively stagnant from a buisness perspective SHIELD is doing fine buisness wise and is by no means dying. Ratings are still solid and OK. Yes, it's not the ultimate gangbusters ABC wants it to be but that hope was folly from the start, putting it up against NCIS and using it as the anchor for an entire new night of programming was dumb. Live ratings and Live+3/7 are excellent.

Have you watched Arrow because Ollie is actually a rather strong character now, yea the first half of season 1 is hot and cold at the change of a season, but bow it's extremely sure footed and just going for it. The casting for this show is keeping in CW network style and works.

Arrow drawing heavily from Nolanverse was and is the right call it's an easily understood visual language for the masses. Arrow is toanlly consistant which is something you can't say about Man of Steel. You can have more than one type of tone in a franchise - look at Marvel and their plays on genre.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

@deathpoolthet1000: Where I'd say SHIELD is at this point is creatively stagnant from a buisness perspective SHIELD is doing fine buisness wise and is by no means dying. Ratings are still solid and OK. Yes, it's not the ultimate gangbusters ABC wants it to be but that hope was folly from the start, putting it up against NCIS and using it as the anchor for an entire new night of programming was dumb. Live ratings and Live+3/7 are excellent.

Have you watched Arrow because Ollie is actually a rather strong character now, yea the first half of season 1 is hot and cold at the change of a season, but bow it's extremely sure footed and just going for it. The casting for this show is keeping in CW network style and works.

Arrow drawing heavily from Nolanverse was and is the right call it's an easily understood visual language for the masses. Arrow is toanlly consistant which is something you can't say about Man of Steel. You can have more than one type of tone in a franchise - look at Marvel and their plays on genre.

I know wrestling and if somthing i know is that Superheroes go under the same writing.

WCW died when book exacty the same way the WWE did, then the WWE start booking other way and win, killing WCW.

DC failed to do things like Marvel.

It goes with all the rules of how Marvel does their movies.
    It goes with all the rules of how Marvel does their movies.

It dont, it takes thing fro TDK trilogy and is not the visual is the plot, characters and visuals, is pretty much a poor mans version of Nolan.

Whedon understands Marvel and Dc arent the same, for the same you cant apply the same set of rules.

ormously difficult to take very disparate characters and make them work. DC has a harder time of it than Marvel because their characters are from an old, bygone era where characters were bigger than we were. Marvel really cracked the code in terms of ‘Oh, they're just like us.’".He was giving advice on how to make a good Justice League movie. He said that DC characters were bigger than they were? I guess he hasn't read the Dark Phoenix Saga or Secret Wars.Marvel Characters are sometimes bigger than themselves and this wasn't really fair judgement.I think when he said "DC has a harder time of it than Marvel because their characters are from an old, bygone era where characters were bigger than", he was talking about the silver age but that was decades ago though and the DC characters are more modern. Just my thoughts here.

This is not take Nolan ides and appyl it to Green Arrow is TDK With Batman using Green Arrow Costume.

@lyrafay said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.