A little help please

#1 Edited by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi, i'm thinking of starting to read Green Arrow and was wondering after reading the new series of his which titles i should read, Ive been told by a couple of people to read Cry for Justice but what else should i read and which arc is he banished from Star City? 

Any help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance 

#2 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio

Cry For Justice is a must

He is banished in the Rise and Fall Of Green Arrow.  

I can give you a list but what I would suggest is reading from just at the start of Year one, will get you a link.

#3 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio
http://www.comicvine.com/green-arrow-year-one/49-18880/   Very good starting point will give you the back story. 
Then pick up Green Arrow Quiver  and the rest of the trades to Green Arrow Road To Jericho and you can ignore most of the Green Arrow Black Canary stuff and pick up Cry Fro Justice. 

Anyway if you don't want to go that deep then anything from Heading into the light up to Road Of Jericho is fine. I was never a fan of Black Canary and Green Arrow, but it was okay. Anyhow hope that helped.
#4 Edited by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow:    
  thanks for the help, im new to the DC stuff i mainly read marvel so the help is appreciated. 
#5 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89:   He is banished in the Rise and Fall Of Green Arrow.  
#6 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: is that issue collected anywhere because i can't seem to find it on any of the sites i buy comics from
#7 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89:  It was a one off special. it was the start of brining him in it was just Called Rise and Fall. If you just wan't the trail then that is Green Arrow issue #32 

The cover should look like this 

I would suggest picking up the Rise and Fall issue first and even finding the Rise and fall issue for red arrow before reading this
#8 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow said:
" http://www.comicvine.com/green-arrow-year-one/49-18880/   Very good starting point will give you the back story. Then pick up Green Arrow Quiver  and the rest of the trades to Green Arrow Road To Jericho and you can ignore most of the Green Arrow Black Canary stuff and pick up Cry Fro Justice.  Anyway if you don't want to go that deep then anything from Heading into the light up to Road Of Jericho is fine. I was never a fan of Black Canary and Green Arrow, but it was okay. Anyhow hope that helped. "
Wow, even I couldn't have been more thorough 
#9 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow:   Im just waiting now to see if my local comic book shop can find the blackest night issue up to the end of the rise and fall stuff so hopefully i should get it by next thursday.  I've just managed to find a copy of Green Arrow issue 1, i just hope that these issues you have recommended are as good
#10 Edited by comix christian (85 posts) - - Show Bio

But really, if you just want to read a really, really good Green Arrow story, go ahead and buy Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters. It dosen't have anything to do with what is going on in the current books but it is one of the best Green Arrow storys written, and besides J.T Krul seems to be very inspired by that story in his current book. Hopefully the Green Arrow series that followed after Longbow Hunters will soon be collected in trade form. It's an old series but near impossible to find anywhere, as it has never been published in collected form.
#11 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio

Right so then i should read the characters back history like this then... 

Green Arrow year one 
The longbow Hunters 
Green Arrow vol. 3 
Cry For Justice 
Blackest Night 
Rise and Fall 
Brightest Day 
Green Arrow Vol.5  (ignoring Green Arrow and Black Canary) 

can anyone think of anything else i will need to read?  (all your held is appreciated) 

#12 Posted by comix christian (85 posts) - - Show Bio

Well you may also want to chek out the original Green Lantern/Green Arrow run. that's the arc in which the Green Arrow that we know today was first introduced. It's not groundbreaking by todays standard, but it gives you a good idea of who Green Arrow is as a charecter, and it's also the beginning of Hal and Ollie's freindship (Hal and Ollie=Green Lantern and Green Arrow...just in case you didn't know.)
#13 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got Green Arrow Year one, from my first flick through it looks quite good.  

#14 Posted by Xangel (72 posts) - - Show Bio

what do you guys think of the kevin smith arcs?

#15 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xangel: I think that the series is ok, i think in places though its a little wordy where it doesn't need to be but saying that i'm only 3 issues in lol.  
#16 Posted by Xangel (72 posts) - - Show Bio
@uncanny89: how wordy? wordy for most series, or like Alan Moore wordy?
#17 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xangel:   id say its on par with Claremont's stuff or the early 90's x-men.  it may get better as i'm still on the first arc, like issue 5 of the 75 lol so who knows.  Im still enjoying it though, but i don't think its as good as the new green arrow series.
#18 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

Identity Crisis was what sold me on the character. Watch the Birdy!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.