k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

It's always a good day when there's a new issue of Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino'sGREEN ARROW, but with this chapter, they're taking a break from the war that's brewing in Seattle and diving into 'Zero Year.' Yes, Oliver isn't usually in Gotham, but the reason Lemire provides for moving the character there makes sense and what stems from it is a great looking dose of fun.

The issue's back-up expands upon Oliver's partnership with Diggle and why he was chosen, but the core of this story is basically one big action scene with Killer Moth and, you guessed it, Batman. The choreography isn't anything particularly jaw-dropping, but what makes it truly special is the artwork by Sorrentino and colorist Marcelo Maiolo. These two can simply do no wrong on this book. There's some wonderfully detailed and engrossing panels to be found in this issue and, as always, some creative use of onomatopoeias and vivid coloring. There may not be anything as mind-blowing as the work with Count Vertigo (it'll be seriously hard to top that), but it's consistently great looking and more than worthy of praise. They also do an excellent job with the force and impact behind each and every hit that goes down. This is especially noticeable when Lemire has an interesting and rather vicious way of presenting an argument between Oliver and Bruce. Poor Killer Moth... All in all, it should come as no surprise that this is yet another stellar looking issue.

There isn't much development in the primary story for Oliver's supporting cast, but just enough goes down with Diggle to justify why the hero seeks him out to stand by his side and help him clean up the city. The back-up's significantly different art style (by Denys Cowan and Matt Hollingsworth) is jarring after being treated to Sorrentino/Maiolo's work, but to some degree, the grittier tone compliments Diggle's mentality before he's approached by Oliver, and in that sense, it helps further immerse us in Diggle's emotions. Just enough is presented by Lemire to show us the history these two share and why they likely parted ways on a rocky note. Hopefully we'll see him once again play a big role in Oliver's life, but that has yet to be revealed.

The Bad

Some of the action didn't feel very fluid. For example, Batman is just standing around after each punch he throws at Killer Moth. I understand he's new to the game, but to punch a guy in the face and then just stand there -- especially when he's holding a projectile weapon -- doesn't seem like the way he'd act.

The art team changes in the backup and the difference is night and day. The style's a lot sketchier and rougher, and it's certainly not bad, but the transition between the two styles is incredibly jarring. Also, in some panels there's a lack of outlines and this makes different colors mesh together.

I know it's an unfair criticism, but I can't help but miss what's going on in the modern era with Oliver. Lemire teased big things in issue #24 and I can't wait for the next story to get rolling. This is a fun departure from what's going on in the modern timeline and covers the bare basics of his return, but ultimately, it doesn't feel essential. If anything, the back-up about Diggle's history could have been implemented in another story or even meshed into the core of an issue. Like I said, it's a minor and somewhat unfair complaint, but I'm sure others will feel the same, especially since the book teases the Outsiders War.

The Verdict

Oliver's 'Zero Year' tie-in doesn't shed much light on his past or his return the to United States, but it's still hugely entertaining thanks to Lemire once again providing a tight yet fun script and the brilliant visuals by Sorrentino/Maiolo. Ultimately, this issue serves to do two things: offer an exciting fight with a novice Green Arrow and give us the basics of Diggle's connection to Queen. It accomplishes both of those and it's absolutely worth picking up if you've been following along or looking to jump onboard. #24 is the better jumping on point, but this is totally serviceable for new readers as well.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CheeseSticks

Dat art when Killer Moth attack, can't get enough of Green Arrow. Lemire is killing it once again.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Whats the new Killer Moth Look like, with current events in my life I cant go to the comic store for a month...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Whats the new Killer Moth Look like, with current events in my life I cant go to the comic store for a month...

No Caption Provided

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CheeseSticks
    Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: you shouldn't call any unnecessary crossover/tie-in that interupts the standard story an unfair complaint/criticism. I think it's completely fair.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was going on in that last page?

hamlet33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I LOVED how Batman and Ollie argued while beating Killer Moth to a pulp. Great art and hilarious. Awesome issue.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

I read Lemire's first Green Arrow arc, after this issue is there a good jump on point or beginning of a new arc?

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By manwithoutshame

Another good issue, that Diggle guy must be from the tv show.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I read Lemire's first Green Arrow arc, after this issue is there a good jump on point or beginning of a new arc?

Per the review:

"#24 is the better jumping on point, but this is totally serviceable for new readers as well."

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

This ties into Batman #25 right? Would it be better to wait and read this next week after reading Batman, or is it ok to read now?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 k4tzm4n  Moderator

This ties into Batman #25 right? Would it be better to wait and read this next week after reading Batman, or is it ok to read now?

This can be read on its on. Batman's appearance is limited to just an action scene.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is what bugged me in this issue when greg draws Batmans retro custom it looks good but here it just looks goofy and while it makes sense for oliver to be in Gotham it has no impact on Zero year i mean if Oliver and Bruce had any sort of relationship in the new52 this could be interesting as their first meeting but sense they dont this comic comes off as DC trying to just trying to trick people into buying a comic that has nothing to do with Batman

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Damn my store was closed today. I wanted to read this right away!

And this is your first 4 stars for Green Arrow right Katzman?

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another good issue, that Diggle guy must be from the tv show.

Yes. Diggle is from the show. he is really awesome in the TV show. If you are not watching Arrow, you should. It's awesome.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Damn my store was closed today. I wanted to read this right away!

And this is your first 4 stars for Green Arrow right Katzman?

I also gave the Count Vertigo Villains Month issue 4 stars. But yeah, aside from that, all 5s.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are not watching Arrow, you should. It's awesome.

I'm the biggest Green Arrow fan I know, but I don't watch it. I've heard too many times that "it's a soap opera with superheroes".

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Wolverine008

@xwraith said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

I'm the biggest Green Arrow fan I know, but I don't watch it. I've heard too many times that "it's a soap opera with superheroes".

Superhero comics are already mini soap operas......

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

Superhero comics are already mini soap operas......

word. and @xwraith, WATCH IT. Never judge things before trying it out. Have you not seen the positive comments the show has been getting?

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n, Thanks, sorry for my apparent inability to read. Sometimes I skim reviews too quickly if I'm thinking about picking it up, in an attempt to avoid spoilers.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Diggle stuff, Batman and setting up Outsiders War all seemed to weigh this issue down. It would be cool to see Killer Moth again. See if he has his gimmick together yet. I loved the back up with Denys Cowan's art. Been a fan since his work on the Question in the 80's.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the new look of killer moth it's much better than pre-52 imo

TomerSoiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TomerSoiker

I don't plan on reading "Zero Year" or any of its tie-ins, yet I didn't mind this "crossover." It helped set the relationship between Oliver and Diggle, and Lemire has done good enough job to overcome this obstacle of - what I believe is - a forced tie-in to the Batman crossover by editorial.

So I didn't mind this at all, nor did the fight sequences bother me. The low point really comes from the lettering, and I'm surprised the review didn't mention this. When an arrow (shot by Batman) hits Killer Moth's palm, Batman's word balloon comes from off-panel, and while the arrow was shot from the left, the balloon is on the other side of the panel. Same goes for a similar scene later, when GA shoots an arrow at Moth's wrist, but the panel preceding it shows Oliver's text coming from the other side. Otherwise, a stellar issue.

Did anyone notice the cool easter egg in the the backup story? Diggle reads a newspaper article about GA and who's signed on it? David Ramsey, as the actor portraying Diggle on "Arrow"!

No Caption Provided

Cyborg6971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cyborg6971

@spidey_82: Ha nice catch on the easter egg. I liked it as much as the the rest of Jeff's run from 17 on and can't wait till the outsiders war.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

This issue was pretty hit or miss for me. Everything seemed a bit disjointed and why is Batman using a crossbow? I get he's just starting out at this point, it just seemed strange. The art was off to. He clearly shot Killer Moth thru the back of the hand, yet on panel he was standing in front of him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.