k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Writer Jeff Lemire pulls Ollie out of the somewhat formulaic plot he was previously in and throws him into a whole new world where the sky is the limit when it comes to plot potential. While he does make strong strides with the narrative, my favorite part of his writing has to be the chemistry he creates between Ollie, Fyff and Naomi. There's some great playful banter between the bunch and a friendly rivalry which generated a few remarks that made me pop a smile. Additionally, Count Vertigo isn't the only new character to appear in this issue. Lemire also tasks himself with reintroducing Clock King and Shado. The former undergoes a massive physical change (for the better, of course) and Shado's connection to Oliver is set in a whole new direction. Both obviously play quite a big role in the narrative Lemire has been fleshing out big time since the last issue.

I can't get over how good Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo's visuals are -- it's stunning. The two nail it on literally every crazy plot point Lemire could throw their way. All of Ollie's trick arrows are put use in a magnificent manner (green fire is gorgeous) and there's an amazing panel which will, for a lack of better words, blow your mind -- you'll definitely know it when you see it. Even if it's a motionless scene in a hotel room, the duo makes it rock with fantastic work on the characters and conveys beyond fitting expressions from each one.

Seeing as I'm a sucker for battles and character stats, I was totally blown away by the opening sequence. Green Arrow has been somewhat lacking in feats and this one scene completely changes that. It's a huge boost in his effectiveness as a combatant and was really impressive. That, or the mercs were useless fools. I think it's fair to believe it's a little bit of both.

The Bad

I can't help but get frustrated when I see a hero run from a clearly stunned and/or vulnerable villain. Ollie, take him down when you have the chance, dammit! Aside from that, no major complaints.

The Verdict

Remember that time Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino made GREEN ARROW really good? Well, they're still doing that! The two are a match made in heaven for Oliver Queen and this issue proves yet again it's quickly becoming one of the top books The New 52 has to offer. Lemire's writing continues to impress by delivering a fair balance of levity, thrilling action and huge plot developments. And Sorrentino's art? The man continues to outdo himself with jaw-droppingly good work. Seriously, go buy this book.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By longbowhunter

I cant stop looking at that mind blowing splash page. Did I miss Clock King somewhere in this issue?

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SUCH a great issue. Everyone needs to include it on his/her pull list.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@longbowhunter: The guy named Tockman, I never would have known that was Clock King until I saw this review.

Great issue though, loving Lemire on this run!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Oh ok, Billy Tockman. I didn't catch that first time around. I really liked Sean McKeever's depiction of Temple Fugate.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending was great love this series.

trickarrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another amazing issue

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By manwithoutshame

This is the best issue of the Lemire run so far. I love the effects of Count Vertigo's powers, very trippy.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 k4tzm4n  Moderator

This is the best issue of the Lemire run so far. I love the effects of Count Vertigo's powers, very trippy.

Gah! I forgot to include that in my review! But yeah, agree 150%.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I was a bit underwhelmed with the way Lemire ended the last arc with basically Green Arrow's very own version of the rainbow lanterns. It seems like an ancient group of weapon users doesn't fit in with anything Arrow has ever been. But I am very glad I picked up this issue despite that, because it is still among the best written books on the market.

Also, totally did not realize that was Clock King. Will be interested to see how that plays out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Three characters brought back in one issue? Here's hoping for more.

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh My God! Who knew I'd love Green Arrow so much. Been borrowing my friend's copies but as soon as this gets a trade, I'm all in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Great issue, Vertigo's redesign is pretty awesome IMO.

Daredevilnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@nappystr8: was a bit underwhelmed with the way Lemire ended the last arc with basically Green Arrow's very own version of the rainbow lanterns. It seems like an ancient group of weapon users doesn't fit in with anything Arrow has ever been.

I agree and that issue felt a little overwhelming but I am pumped to pick up this issue

CBHERETIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great issue! Count Vertigo is one of my favorite old villains! The redo/re-design is awesome! The effect of his powers are crazy cool! Great Art by Sorrentino! No surprise :)

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

This was such a fun read. I could honestly go back and read this issue again and again. This book is quickly rising up my pull list each month. I would strongly recommend it to everyone who enjoys reading comics. This book is my pick of the week hands down.

Might get this then

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.