k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

While this issue does indeed follow a pretty safe formula and have moments we've seen countless times before in other action stories, it still managed to be a total thrill ride and that just goes to show how talented the creative team is. There are moments where you clearly know what's going to happen (a bomb with a countdown! Oh, no!), but that don't stop me from cheering like a goofball in key scenes because they totally deliver. 'm by no means embarrassed to admit I even did a slow clap once I put the issue down -- that's how much I loved this one.

No amount of praise from me is going to justify how tremendous Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo visuals are. My only small gripe is facial features occasionally feel flat (sometimes it seems like there's only half a nose), but everything else is phenomenal. A graveyard fight in the rain is cliche, but man oh man, it looks so good. I couldn't help but gaze at quite a few of the panels and they're definitely wallpaper-worthy. Sorrentino's exceptionally unique style seems like a match made in heavy for Maiolo's striking and bold use of colors. Trust me, your eyes will thank you for this experience.

The greater narrative is still taking baby steps -- teasing us with the first act and finally leading into the juicy stuff with the conclusion -- but the lack of significant plot progress is outweighed by the exhilarating fight and character interactions. It isn't a particularly lengthy brawl, but it's certainly a great time with some standout moments. At the same rate, I'm glad it wasn't an extended fight because having Ollie endure yet another insane fight after suffering so many injuries would be tough to swallow.

The Bad

Like I said above, a big chunk of this issue's pretty formulaic, but that hardly matters since it's so exciting.

The Verdict

The new take on GREEN ARROW is consistently fantastic. Writer Jeff Lemire provides solid script and pacing and, as I've already said a gazillion times before, the art team creates some truly incredibly pages. The desert story has been teased long enough and now it looks like we're moving full speed ahead. We've had plenty of fun with Komodo (and I'm sure we'll see him and his daughter reappear... or at least I hope so), but now it's time to dive face first into the bigger mystery. Based on what we've seen so far, I'm sure the team will continue to deliver. This is quickly becoming one of DC's most engrossing books for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

This was a great issue, but Ollie stabbing Komodo in the eye with an arrow made me want to vomit.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xwraith said:

I loved this issue, but Ollie stabbing Komodo in the eye with an arrow made me want to vomit.

Oh man, I thought that panel was astonishing.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Mucklefluga

@xwraith said:

I loved this issue, but Ollie stabbing Komodo in the eye with an arrow made me want to vomit.

That sounds awesome, DC stop being so sucky with your trade releases!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: I can't help but be grossed out about injuries to that part of the body.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Been loving this book! Picking it up today.

Brownghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brownghost

@Xwraith: He did the same thing in identity crisis with deathstroke.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#8  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Hawkguy and Green Arrow. Two of my favorite books right now!

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fight in the rain was really incredible. Agreed that it does stick to a familiar formula but it is a very good read.

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this book now. I tried to read past issues before the team change and I just can't...but the team on it now is just knocking it outta the park. Really great book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By manwithoutshame

4/5 for me. I really liked where the story was heading but then it ending all of a sudden.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was AMAZING. I may, for the first time ever, eventually buy this arc when it's collected in trade despite owning all the single issues. It's THAT good.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not just this issue, but the last 3 have hit all the standard action beats. Green Arrow is still better than its been in years but I wanna see Lemire really push the boundaries. I will say this for the issue. He's really digging deep bringing in Butcher.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@vitalius said:

@madeinbangladesh: I think you meant to write Hawkeye.

No Bro, It's Hawkguy, are you reading the hawguy comic, bro?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would you recommend this book? I originally started picking it up when New52 started but dropped it after 3 or 4 issues. I heard it got better though. Would you recommend it? If so, where's a good jump on?

adamcrouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just jump in on issue 17. thats when the new team took over

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#20  Edited By Extremis

@madeinbangladesh said:

This.

Though, I honestly think I enjoy Green Arrow more. Probably for 2 reasons. First, Hawkeye gets so much love and praise already that I almost feel an obligation to like it and second, Green Arrow is just one gritty, tenacious eff'r. I mean the amount of arrows he took last issue was sickening. He's gotten his ass handed to him more times than he's done it to anyone else so far but he still presses on. His grit is what distinguishes him from other heroes in DC and truly sets him apart. That grit I speak of has shown to be his defining quality thus far in Lemire's run. Also, it just makes him such a badass.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I hope Ollie gets his goatee going soon

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

This.

Though, I honestly think I enjoy Green Arrow more. Probably for 2 reasons. First, Hawkeye gets so much love and praise already that I almost feel an obligation to like it and second, Green Arrow is just one gritty, tenacious eff'r. I mean the amount of arrows he took last issue was sickening. He's gotten his ass handed to him more times than he's done it to anyone else so far but he still presses on. His grit is what distinguishes him from other heroes in DC and truly sets him apart. That grit I speak of has shown to be his defining quality thus far in Lemire's run. Also, it just makes him such a badass.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I hope Ollie gets his goatee going soon

I love my archers equally.

jojobinks70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, its a good read, but c'mon stop all the gushing, its not THAT good.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tec79

Starting with issue 17 this now stands with Wonder Women and Aquaman as shining examples of what can be accomplished in the New 52. I would love to see this creative team take on Martian Manhunter or Hawkman in the future.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee said:

Would you recommend this book? I originally started picking it up when New52 started but dropped it after 3 or 4 issues. I heard it got better though. Would you recommend it? If so, where's a good jump on?

Yes, it really is that good. I mean, c'mon! It's Lemire and Sorrentino! How could this not be good? The perfect jumping-on point would be issue 17, when Lemire took over.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@k4tzm4n: So, is this issue the end of the arc? I stupidly didn't pick it up when Lemire started on it. I may try to get it off eBay. But if not, I can hop on on the next arc, right?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

As long as Lemire and Sorrentino will keep up their great work and excite me with this title, I will come back here month after month and thank you for pushing me to pick it up. Just read this truly amazing issue! The overall story is very intriguing and I can't wait for Magus' answers and where the Stellmore story is going?

And those colors! Using a limited amount of carefully selected bright colors with black-and-white panels is so wow - stunning!

Thanks again for another great review and everything,

@k4tzm4n

... and Saga! My three favorite books, and then everything Valiant.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: So, is this issue the end of the arc? I stupidly didn't pick it up when Lemire started on it. I may try to get it off eBay. But if not, I can hop on on the next arc, right?

No, this wasn't the final issue of the story. You're only a few issues behind and they're good. So I'd def recommend picking up #17-current!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

OMG! GA gets better and better...

I just checked the solicits for the upcoming issues on dccomics.com. One of my favorite, very underrated DC characters and villains will debut in the New52 and make a major appearance in GA starting with #22:

COUNT VERTIGO

Awesome @Lemire!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.