k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

It's a great time to be an archer. Over at Marvel, Matt Fraction is killing it on HAWKEYE and here at DC, the new creative team is doing a ridiculously good job on GREEN ARROW. I've never been a huge fan of the Emerald Archer and I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the TV show, but Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino are doing spectacular work with this one -- it's truly impressive stuff.

The story is tons of fun, but the visuals are where it's at. Beautiful and lively, Sorrentino's work has an immediately recognizably style. Whether it's Henry Fyff staring at a computer monitor or Ollie firing arrows, the book looks so good. What of course greatly benefits the style is Marcelo Maiolo's coloring. From our hero being illuminated by a helicopter's spotlight to arrows piercing skin, strong and vibrant use of coloring gives this book so much life and prevents any panel from feel stagnant. Then there's the absurdly creative panel layout which make the action amazingly entertaining. You can't help but cringe as an extra panel puts a clear emphasis on a body part being stabbed by an arrow. Even if you're not the biggest fan of the story, odds are the excellent visuals will compensate for that.

Like I said above, the story thus far is astoundingly fun. Writer Jeff Lemire is doing a brilliant job with the pacing. While the story is clearly trying to lure in fans of the show with a few similar elements, it's leaps and bounds above it in terms of quality. The mystery here continues to grow and so thankfully, so does my interest in this plot. The fact this issue has an extensive and brutal battle certainly doesn't hurt, either.

The Bad

There's a few moments that rely on suspension of disbelief. Sure, there's panels discussing how much pain Ollie is in, but man oh man, he took a crazy amount of damage and still kept trucking. He was even able to support Komodo's weight with his side that took an arrow to his shoulder and wrist. Naturally, these are minor points since this is a comic book, after all, and we've seen the likes of the Punisher and others endure far worse over the years.

The Verdict

Just three issues in and this title has skyrocketed to the top of my pull list. This is without question one of the best ongoings DC comics is currently offering. The story is engaging and the dynamic visuals are stellar. It doesn't matter if you don't like Green Arrow -- this will turn you into a fan. Go read this book. Now!

Also, is it just me, or does it look like Emiko Lacroix could be Constantine Drakon Jr? If he won't make it into the New 52, I'm more than happy to see his super-speeding badassery transferred into this little package of death.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

This has become one of my favorite DC book. Thank You Lemire.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

It's amazing that what was one of DC's worst books is now one of their best.

As for Emiko, I can't help but notice how much her costume looks like Shado's.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dondave

Very good issue

Kesho_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kesho_Ronin

Really starting to enjoy the art.and the story just keeps getting better and better

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying the story so far, some mystery and a lot of action.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Well if you say you aren't a fan of the show and that this is good then it probably is as I am not a fan of the show as well.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not real sure what everyone sees in this book, it feels like your watching a comic version of the tv show and I can't begin to describe to you how bad I despise that show. I'll be dropping this title now.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Decent issue. I could do with more answers and less action but I'm willing to ride it out. Anxious to see how the desert scenes come into play later.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

@xwraith said:

It just proves that there are no bad characters, just bad writers.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dimmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so no one is going to talk about how they changed Naomi's race from black to asain?

good issue btw

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really tried to read the other issues before this (I fell in love with the art of the new team and thought of going backward) I am so happy they changed teams. This art style really fits Arrow and the story. I am loving this book.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By soumya

@dimmoe said:

so no one is going to talk about how they changed Naomi's race from black to asain?

good issue btw

Oh you did notice that!actually the previous issues of GA were so forgettable that even the current creative team may have forgotten the little facts..lol

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This has become one of my favorite DC book. Thank You Lemire.

I dropped this after #4 but I'm glad I got back into it.

dimmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soumya said:

@dimmoe said:

good issue btw

Oh you did notice that!actually the previous issues of GA were so forgettable that even the current creative team may have forgotten the little facts..lol

yeah but if she later becomes an important character that's going to be really messed up. it looks like she is going to survive this arc too.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Agreed, and it proves that Lemire is an incredible writer.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By novi_homines

Whoever is in charge of the typography of this cover needs to be FIRED!!! Other than that, great art, great story, great issue.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By saoakden

I am REALLY GLAD this title is doing a lot better.

DustinStauffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

100% right. Any character can be entertaining/enjoyable with a good writer. Sure there might some that are pushing it, but for the most part I think this is true.

DustinStauffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been enjoying this book since Lemire took over writing duties. It has been getting better with every issues. Love the art in this book also, it is so different than the normal DC comic visuals. I'd almost say this is at the top of my pull list now. For a long time it was Aquaman, but this book has been stealing the show since #17. I have a feeling another issue or so and I'll say its my favorite book.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_stegman  Moderator

I have been enjoying this book since Lemire took over writing duties. It has been getting better with every issues. Love the art in this book also, it is so different than the normal DC comic visuals. I'd almost say this is at the top of my pull list now. For a long time it was Aquaman, but this book has been stealing the show since #17. I have a feeling another issue or so and I'll say its my favorite book.

It's the same artist who covered I Vampire, another great book that is sadly being cancelled.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sammo21

I might check this out but I hate coming into a run this late. Just an OCD thing I have.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The book really has made a turn around, Though I got to say another enemy or even character who is an archer?

DustinStauffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dustinstauffer said:

It's the same artist who covered I Vampire, another great book that is sadly being cancelled.

Yeah, I never read I Vampire but that book does have great art.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read a lot of DC books and this book has quickly climbed up to be my favorite since Lemire and Sorrentino took over. Great review Gregg.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.