Watch Grant Morrison in the Full My Chemical Romance Music Video!

Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio
 He tormented Animal Man and, now, he's tormenting Gerard Way.

People have been calling Grant Morrison the one, true rock star of the comics biz for years. It’s really a wonder he didn’t make the leap to an actual rock music video long ago.  

My Chemical Romance has released  the music video for their new single "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)” and it features Morrison as an appropriately-outlandish supervillain who duels with MCR’s latest alter-egos, the Fabulous Killjoys, in the desert. The video was teased last month, but this is the full-blast, bonafide real deal. With vending machine-distributed ray guns, roller-skating stripe-adorned superheroes and Halloween masks a’plenty, this very much looks like a Morrison comic in motion. Actually, the lyrics and shock jock’s monologue very much sound like the wild words he’d write, as well, which brings up Morrison’s interesting history and symbiosis with MCR’s front man, Gerard Way. == TEASER ==

Before he started the band, Way was actually an intern at DC years ago and, during his internship, he got to know Morrison around the time of THE INVISIBLES. Considering their connection, it’s really no surprise that Way’s comic, THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY, draws some clear inspiration from Morrison’s seminal DOOM PATROL run. Hell, Way even got the shaman sigil man to write the intro for the trade. Now, it’s clear he’s returning the favor in what’s looking like it’ll be a series of story-based music videos relating to MCR’s new concept album DANGER DAYS: THE TRUE LIVES OF THE FABULOUS KILLJOYS

Bear witness to the MTV-borne video below...

This is definitely the best of both worlds for me. I loved the theatricality MCR used for their last album, WELCOME TO THE BLACK PARADE, and it gives me so much joy to see this kind of surrealism achieving such mainstream success. And it’s cool that movie and music people are finding out how interesting a personality Morrison is. You’d all do right to look for TALKING WITH GODS, the documentary about him, and SINATORO, the indy movie’s he’s writing.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &    UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon  here &   here.   

#1 Posted by Mr Bubbles (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Grant Morrison

#2 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow.  I never thought I'd see the day where a comic book writer would be in a Rock n' Roll video.  Not surprising it's Grant, he looks like a rocker =P. 

#3 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of love Grant Morrison in this.

#4 Posted by J1ml33 (540 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I  have seen every thing ( I  hope the next thing his is invited to do would be a japanease anime based on say the invisibles ) with MCR doing the soundtrack then it would be offical .
he is a rocknrolla (after seeing this its commfermed His Is Truely an ROCKNROLLA ! ) 
Grant Morrison and the Doors ! light my fire ! 
A true Rocknrolla !

#5 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw this a few months ago and thought it was cool. He should have worn black sun glasses in the video.

#6 Posted by crusader8463 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't watch the video. It's only watchable by yanks.

#7 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Bit of the Tank girl ish over the top style .Yeah it felt like a dc comic vertigo-ish vid.  
I want a grafic novel based on it with art done by Simon Bisley!

Needless to say on the cool factor scale its artic. 

#8 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

That was one part The Road Warrior, one part Star Wars, and one part Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert.
#9 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Greeaat.. now i got that stuck in my head.. had to watch it again :)
#10 Posted by Ninja Nova (121 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome...I love Grant Morrison and My Chemical Romance!!!

#11 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

He makes a good villain.

#12 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool but when is Hotel Oblivion going to begin?

#13 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

So G-Mo did the intro for Umbrella Academy because he really does like MCR?  This is pimp!

#14 Edited by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice music vidoe they look like Joker with black hair also are they like Power Rangers vs Lex Luther? FAIL ending too
#15 Posted by geekvine (20 posts) - - Show Bio

grant morrison can do no wrong.

#16 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

saw this some time ago but it is great...two great comic writers = awesome music videos! who would have thought?

#17 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

I love My Chemical Romance and I love Grant Morrison this is a really fun video. 

#18 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

That was pretty cool. I wanna see a movie of it now. lol

#19 Posted by VisibleDucts (19 posts) - - Show Bio
@GT-Man:  I loved the ending! Anti-fail ending.
#20 Edited by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio
@warcorpse said:

" To put it bluntly, emo music suck major ass "

HEY!  I FOUND THE YOUTUBE COMMENT SECTION!!! 

Anyways, as a self-professed metalhead, it's a good thing I'm also open-minded!  I really enjoy MCR's music, especially Black Parade.  This song...and its video...kept making me think of The Banana Splits.  You can tell the influence from old shows like that, Land of the Lost, and other seminal Saturday Morning diddies.  Nonetheless, in comparison to their previous work, this song is a bit lacking.  =  / 

However, the video itself - although the cinematography makes it all feel a bit distant and out of reach for the viewer to really relate to - is pretty damn cool!  I still enjoyed the stuff they did with Black Parade far more. 

I'm curious to know if Gerard Way is going to be making a comic out of this, in all honesty.  Umbrella Academy was pretty awesome, and I'd love to see what he could do with this concept.  The guy is a pretty talented writer.
#21 Posted by warcorpse (433 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187: Relax dude just my opinion
#22 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I am old.  I'm just gonna criticize myself.  I. Am. Old.

Staff
#23 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

O_O 

SO COOL SO COOL SO COOL SO COOL SO COOL!!!! 

Do...not...have...words....to...describe!!!!!!!!

#24 Posted by Weapon-Alpha (148 posts) - - Show Bio

was the dude on the radio at the begining the lead singer for monster magnet?

#25 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio
@VisibleDucts:
Anti-Ultra-Mega-Chuck Norris-Mr.T-FAIL ending
#26 Posted by mcrmy13 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

from my name you'd know i'm abig fan of mcr!!!
(and grant Love his run on batman and robin!!)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.