Talking with the Gods

#1 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else seen it? Has it changed your thoughts on Morrison? Personally I came to the conclusion he is one of the most mentally healthy (healthy not normal) people alive today but what I really found interesting about him was the following two things:

a) his ongoing "feud" with Alan Moore...the stuff Moore did sounds just like Moore but I still had no idea he and Morrison had problems with each other and I can't believe I missed those references in Doom Patrol 

b) the fact that he's really lived out all of the insanity of The Invisibles and that he and King Mob actually suffered a similar sickness at the same point in their lives was very interesting and the documentary made me appreciate that already beloved series all the more
#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I didn't see it, could you please elaborate on the Moore feud thing?

I think Morrison stands on that indelible line between genius and madness, he's only "mad" in the respect that he thinks on an entirely different level to most people.
#3 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: when Morrison was breaking into comics in his teen years he submitted a five-page story to Warrior about Kid Miracleman and although the editor loved it, Moore ordered it not to be published because he was working on Miracleman 

also...after Moore left Miracleman and the editorial team told Morrison they wanted him to work on Miracleman he sent Moore a letter seeking his blessing and Moore replied with a very threatening letter about how Morrison should just back the f@#k away and how Moore is far more popular and important, etc.
#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Wow, that's pathetic. Yet another reason Morrison > Moore. 

Thanks for the info, Aztek :)
#5 Posted by cbishop (7413 posts) - - Show Bio

<sigh> The older I get, the more I think this kind of thing is petty and unprofessional...even if Moore probably deserved it.  Several of the bigger name guys in comics seem to be about a half bubble off to me.  Not because I hate 'em or anything - just because they're effing crazy; full of themselves a little beyond "healthy self-confidence."  I haven't read the issue, aztek', but I imagine it was quite the read.

#6 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop said:
"

<sigh> The older I get, the more I think this kind of thing is petty and unprofessional...even if Moore probably deserved it.  Several of the bigger name guys in comics seem to be about a half bubble off to me.  Not because I hate 'em or anything - just because they're effing crazy; full of themselves a little beyond "healthy self-confidence."  I haven't read the issue, aztek', but I imagine it was quite the read.

"
are you referring to the cover? 

because actually the cover (as far as I can recall) has nothing to do with the interior (it's hard to pair covers with interiors when you read the story in trade)...or at least I don't remember that character, unless it's supposed to be Flex Mentallo (which is actually rather likely) 

it's just in the documentary while they talked about the Moore thing they showed this cover as well as a panel from The Beard Hunter issue (as a guy with a beard that issue was one of my favorites) where on the wall of portraits the picture of "The Founder" of the Beard Club resembles Alan Moore...personally I never would have thought of these two things as insults but Moore probably did and that may have been the point?
#7 Posted by cbishop (7413 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I assumed that the DP story was part of the feud you were referring to.  It's one thing when a story is done that is obviously a tribute to someone in the industry (Kirby, for instance), but when the story is used to take a jibe at someone in the industry - and make money off of it at the same time - that just seems wrong.  Plus, as a fan of nearly 35 years, those kinds of feuds usually mean that "there's another two creators who will never work together again."  That's kind of a drag sometimes.
#8 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

:O

#9 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. o_O

#10 Posted by Billyredneckname (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to start an agrument but what was the last truly awesome thing Alan Moore did?
#11 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billyredneckname said:
" Not to start an agrument but what was the last truly awesome thing Alan Moore did? "
the Majority Moore's work is absolutely brilliant. the Man is crabby and self centered but he is a genius. He is a sociopath but all of the greats are. This includes Morrison. Both are in my favorite writers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.