Is Morrison past his prime?

#1 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a chance to catch up on Batman Inc. And I'm not impressed at all, even disappointed in the writing. Action Comics wasn't to great either. So I have to ask, could it be that Grant Morrison is past his prime?

#3 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison is a mixed bag for me. I often don't like his writing, even some that is critically acclaimed by other readers, but when he nails it for me--he really nails it. I agree that Action Comics has been lackluster, I would even go as far as to say that it was just plain awful and I've never liked Batman INC, but to me that is just the nature of Morrison's writing. So, I don't think he's necessarily past his prime so much as he is just hit and miss like most writers.

#4 Posted by NewComicGuy (130 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't really comment on his past writing as I haven't read it but I currently pull Action Comics and I think it's alright but not great. I think it started like a ball of fire but has died down quite a bit at this point. I picked up Batman Incorporated and was really excited for it but to me, it just wasn't great or even very good at all. I ended up making the decision to drop it and really haven't looked back.

#5 Edited by Billy Batson (58026 posts) - - Show Bio

Well looking at the reception on the interwebs, it may appear so. Plus having a burnout and stepping down from monthlies might tell you something too.
BB

#6 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been a big fan of ol Morrison. I tend to like his creations Quire, Damian & ect, but overall I think he is an overrated story teller.

#7 Posted by Onemoreposter (4049 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I've been enjoying both immensely, so I would say no. Even if he was, he'd still be my all-time favorite writer.

#8 Posted by Z3RO180 (6549 posts) - - Show Bio

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#9 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorites too! been really enjoying Action lately.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

NO.

#11 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

never.

#12 Edited by ImmortalOne (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison is always great. Besides, writing isn't like sports. He could surprise you.

#13 Posted by JakeN7 (12451 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Xwraith (18217 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the first issue of Multiversity, if that says anything.

#15 Edited by dagmar_merrill (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: MORRISON IS TEH BESTEST EVER! TEH BEST TEHERE IS AND WHAT HE DOES IS WRITE THE BEST STUFF, EVAH.

#16 Posted by JakeN7 (12451 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: MORRISON IS TEH BESTEST EVER! TEH BEST TEHERE IS AND WHAT HE DOES IS WRITE THE BEST STUFF, EVAH.

I AGREE WITH YOU SO GET OFF MAH GRILL!

#17 Posted by ImmortalOne (3450 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Outside_85 (9014 posts) - - Show Bio

Possibly, considering he has been going since the 80'ties.

That said he is not even begun to run on fumes like some so-called 'superstar-writers' are.

#19 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

Possibly, considering he has been going since the 80'ties.

That said he is not even begun to run on fumes like some so-called 'superstar-writers' are.

Who are you referring to?

#20 Posted by Outside_85 (9014 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Jayc1324 (12269 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Still one of the best.

#22 Posted by JakeN7 (12451 posts) - - Show Bio

@dagmar_merrill: Johns, primarily.

What a friggin' career boost he'd get if he just stopped writing Batman. Seriously.

#23 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8631 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Outside_85 (9014 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@outside_85 said:

What a friggin' career boost he'd get if he just stopped writing Batman. Seriously.

At the moment, I think Johns should just stop involving himself with comics since his interests now lie in TV shows, get that out of his system before he comes back reinvigorated.

#25 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@outside_85 said:

At the moment, I think Johns should just stop involving himself with comics since his interests now lie in TV shows, get that out of his system before he comes back reinvigorated.

Leave before your legacy is irreparable.

#26 Posted by JakeN7 (12451 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@outside_85 said:

Honestly, that ain't a bad idea.

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

Mo is Scottish so anything he does is automatically the best.

#28 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8631 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Jake Fury (18629 posts) - - Show Bio

Heck no, hes still great, just slowing down a bit and not turning out monthlies. Action & Batman, Inc were both awesome and Multiversity's first issue was a great start to that series.

Did anyone read his new title with Frazer Irving?

#31 Edited by logy5000 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked All-Star Superman; but other than that, I'm not a huge fan of his.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.