Grant Morrison is an @$$hole

• 51 results
Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I do like Grant Morrison but he aint god and now that he is in charge of The Return of Bruce Wayne he seems cocky as ever with all his ballsy moves in Batman and Robin. For one what is up with Damian I have never liked Damian but Morrison lately has made him completely intolerable and how was his little implant getting past a Batman?. 
Cowboy
Than I look at images of Batman through time and just want to barf. But my main reason for hating on Grant is his total ignorance of Tim Drake. For over a year now Tim has been on the search for Bruce Wayne while everyone else was busy with Blackest Night or their own BS. But not Tim he has been shot stabbed gotten the $h!t kicked out of him all to find his adopted dad. He has found definitive evidence that Bruce was alive months ago. But now Morrison is starting the return and from previews and rumors it looks like Tim is gonna have near Jack to do with it while Morrison is in charge. Like what the ultimate slap in the face am I wrong? I do not know if he just hates Tim or is in love with Dick and Damian. I do know that if Tim is not there when they find him I will be pissed. Like Really pissed. Grant Morrison's doped up @$$ has done Batman allot of good but the Bat Family is really big now and the same characters can not always get the spotlight naw mean? I can not really say much though since the whole report is yet to be released but if all goes as gossiped and is a Bruce Dick bro fest someone may be removed from my top writers list.

#1 Posted by 12ty12 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a huge huge fan of Morrison but he is not perfect.  It does annoy me that it appears Drake is getting the shaft but you never know.  We haven't even seen the Return of Brice Wayne #1 so who knows.  I thought Grayson was made to look weak in R.I.P cause he got beaten off panel while Drake was still fighting off the bad guys and never got caught.  But then Grayson got the big nod and won the cowl.  Hopefully Drake will get something big out of this too...... and not just an honorable death.

#2 Edited by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

And Grant Morrison is an a$$hole for ignoring your favorite character? That is a really strong word to call someone you don't know I would only call him that if I met him and he acted like a jerk but really that's why? 

As for Tim he did play a big role in Grant's early Batman work but the whole Red Robin thing is not part of his plans I am sure that it is filler as when Grant writes stuff he tends to use all of what he writes he was not involved in Red Robin so it may not play a part in Return of Bruce Wayne.  

It's just like a few years ago they gave him crap for not following up on Countdown and Death of the New Gods because of Final Crisis only for Grant to confirm he wrote Final Crisis before those series and they were made as filler to cash in so he couldn't have been ignoring it they ignored him. 

I call Red Robin filler because with the absence of the Robin title fans of Tim may have felt a dent in the books so a series was made. You can tell because it went from hunting clues for Bruce Wayne to the League of Assassins to him returning to Gotham City. In the end if Grant Morrison's name was not on it then it wasn't going to play a part just like TIme Masters won't. 

#3 Posted by Agent355 (66 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't really like Grant Morrison's writing style period.  his stories just seem to be "Oh wait, we haven't done this.  what if we killed Batman?  oh wait...what if Batman had an evil son?"  it's a bunch of nonsense compared to other great writers like Dennis O'Neil, Jeph Loeb, and even Miller.

but to call him an a-hole...not quite dude.  i've met him and talked to him and he's a really nice guy.

#4 Posted by BKole (501 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, is there the consideration that Drake might be one of the characters that has an editorial mandate for Morrison to leave alone for a bit? I mean, he is using a large chunk of characters in Batman and Robin and trying to create his own mythos, not going down the same route of "Joker, Two Face, blah blah blah" same villains all the time. I'm not saying Damien is a brilliant character, but lets be honest, hes supposed to be hated. Thats the point of the character. Have you thought that he's writing Daimen so badly because Morrison wanted to use Tim? 

Considering he wanted to use Hawkman in his JLA and ended up creating Zauriel, I don't think this is so much to do with Morrison being an "A-hole" and more to do with editorial sides of things.

#5 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison rules, def not an A-Hole.

#6 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Agent355 said:
"it's a bunch of nonsense compared to other great writers like Jeph Loeb.  "
Really? You put Jeph "Bugger the consequences" Loeb above Grant Morrison? Or in the good writers basket at all?
#7 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" Grant Morrison rules, def not an A-Hole. "
I do most enjoy Morrison but that does not save him from criticism if you care to look he is on my top ten writers list ;]

@AtPhantom said:
" @Agent355 said:
Really? You put Jeph "Bugger the consequences" Loeb above Grant Morrison? Or in the good writers basket at all? "

Overall I would say Jeph Loeb is a better writer than Morrison going by his career 
#8 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus: @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
I do most enjoy Morrison but that does not save him from criticism if you care to look he is on my top ten writers list ;]

@AtPhantom said:
" @Agent355 said:
Really? You put Jeph "Bugger the consequences" Loeb above Grant Morrison? Or in the good writers basket at all? "
Overall I would say Jeph Loeb is a better writer than Morrison going by his career  "
Seriously I am asking how is calling him an Asshole fair criticism?
#9 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam:  I call people a-holes all the time I still love em
#10 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth said:

@AtPhantom said:
" @Agent355 said:
Overall I would say Jeph Loeb is a better writer than Morrison going by his career  "
Uh are you kidding?
#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth said:

@AtPhantom said:
" @Agent355 said:
Uh are you kidding? "
WOW. Fail!
#12 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth said:

@AtPhantom said:
" @Agent355 said:
Uh are you kidding? "
No look at some of the stuff he has done that everyone loves Daredevil Yellow, Hush, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and his work on Batman and Superman all critically acclaimed and look at all his awards Morrison does not have that kind of weight
#13 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus:  

morrison's should never have been allowed to go crazy with Batman like he has. 
For me personally he's just ruined Batman.  
It's like he went in knowing next to nothin' about the character and decided to create his own Batworld. 
He's ignored recent history and gave us a batman story that made no sense. Maybe that's because I dropped it when it started to suck and get late but hear me out. 
Batman's a powerless crime fighter and shouldn't be put in too fantastical a situation and definately shouldn't be thrown back in time in some action figure advert of a story. 
Like son of magnus said, morrison's ignoring characters like Tim Drake and rewriting continuity as he goes.  
I know rewriting continuity is par for the course at DC ever since the first crisis but I wont be back on board with the Bat until morrison is far, far away.
#14 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam:  

Dude, seriously, you are morrison. 

The thing is the DC universe is just that. No one writer can write a story and keep it seperate  from every thing else.  
If morrison ignores Tim Drake (amongst other things) he's keeping seperate from every thing else. We've done this dance already but for me personaly the whole of morrisons run pushed me, a big Batfan, away. It's just not Batman. no real crime fighting. Crazy fantastical ideas and retcons outside of the annual crisis? Let him do more Invisibles or some thing but keep him away from the big characters. Or off the crack pipe at least. I mean come on. Crack is the only explanation of Final Crisis.
#15 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus: You mean besides
 Final Crisis
Seven Soldiers
New X-men
Batman and Robin
We3
All Star Superman
Doom Patrol Vol 2
Collaborating in 52
JLA run
 Batman RIP
Batman Arkham Asylum
Zenith
The Invisibles
Animal Man
All of which are regarded to as some of the best stories ever written and i've read almost all of them. 

his multiple eisners plus the fact he won the best writer tournament on this website.
#16 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom:  

Long Halloween and Dark Vistory. 
I do think loeb moslty sucks but some how he's but out better Bat stuff than Morrison.
#17 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @johnny spam:   Dude, seriously, you are morrison.  The thing is the DC universe is just that. No one writer can write a story and keep it seperate  from every thing else.  If morrison ignores Tim Drake (amongst other things) he's keeping seperate from every thing else. We've done this dance already but for me personaly the whole of morrisons run pushed me, a big Batfan, away. It's just not Batman. no real crime fighting. Crazy fantastical ideas and retcons outside of the annual crisis? Let him do more Invisibles or some thing but keep him away from the big characters. Or off the crack pipe at least. I mean come on. Crack is the only explanation of Final Crisis. "
So you obviously don't understand the tones set in the book.
#18 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus:  
I'm with this guy. 
This is a comic book web site not a what-do-you-think-of-this-person-in-real-life website. 
If we call some a rude name chances are we're just sayin' it 'cause of what that a@@ hole's done to our favourite character.
#19 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
 For me personally he's just ruined Batman.  
WOW....
#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
 we're just sayin' it 'cause of what that a@@ hole's done to our favourite character. "
I thought the label of @sshole went to people who did things wrong intentionally for the purpose of pleasing themselves.Never knew that writing things that you think are good,that you get payed well for,and that have earned you accolades make you an @sshole.There is nothing morally that he's doing wrong.If you don't like what he writes..that's fine,everyone is entitled to their opinion but that label is a little harsh.
#21 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth:  Ya those are all good but look at what has been inspired by Long Halloween and Dark Victory alone. Hush and Long Halloween are largely excepted as the best Batman runs ever Loeb has 4 Eisner awards countless nominations and a whole crap load of other awards. Plus Morrison has been writing at least ten years longer
#22 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth: @geraldthesloth:     Final Crisis 

I'm pretty sure I understand the tones but I'm not a sure they fit with the characters. 
A lot of the stories you mentioned for morrisons career review do not involve the big characters, are out of continuity or are completely detached from the main DCU. 

All i'm sayin' is I personally don't want morrison in the DCU.  
I've enjoyed his work before but don't want him writing characters he doesn't get. 
Did you see his Wonder Woman in Final Crisis? (Have I mentioned Final Crisis made no sense and I seem to remember the great man him self appologising for that?)
#23 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

As well I know I am not the only one it is an over all view at my comic shop that Morrison's take over of Batman is poor. I still like him and he is in my top ten but I do not know what the hell he is doing.

#24 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

. @geraldthesloth:   

"So you obviously don't understand the tones set in the book".  

Please explain that bit. If you're talkin' about Final Crisis all I understand is I read a story that regularly made me ask my self how I got here and what have I missed.  
morrison himself descibed it as "non linear" and it turned out it didn't all fit with the continuity we knew. 
DC continuity is confusing at the best of time so please forgive me for not being able to get my head around that particular seven issues of wierdness.  

#25 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison is a good writer.  You just don't like that he isn't focusing on a character that you like.  I don't see how his writing has anything to do with whether he's not paying attention to your characters or not.

#26 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  

Erm...I did sort of explain the "ruined Batman thing"? 
Right?
#27 Posted by Erik (32767 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said: 
Seriously I am asking how is calling him an Asshole fair criticism? "
It is an opinion. 
#28 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187 said:
" Morrison is a good writer.  You just don't like that he isn't focusing on a character that you like.  I don't see how his writing has anything to do with whether he's not paying attention to your characters or not. "
No one says he  is a bad writer but we have a series almost 15 issues deep and he is just going to forget about it and act like it never happened. Tim has been the leader in the recovery front since FC. But now that Dick is on it Tim is no longer needed it is like why even make the Red Robin book. Than the Batman And Robin book was just so condensed it really was just Batman and Robin
#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @Vance Astro:   Erm...I did sort of explain the "ruined Batman thing"? Right? "
That doesn't make him an @sshole because ruined is in YOUR opinion.If he was intentionally screwing over Batman..than you've got something.But he's not.
#30 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  If I was Christopher Yost I would be pretty pissed right now
#31 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  

Again, this is a comic site. 
You wanna talk morals lets go to an Iraq war site or a child abuse in the catholic church site. 
No one's sayin' morrisons done any thing morally wrong and as a Scot I'm sure he's heard worse or even been called worse as part of friendly banter.  
If I met the man in real life I'm sure i'd get on with him but just as with any one else I might not agree with every thing he thinks.
Let's not over react here people. what ever words we're usin' this is still just comics. Let's be grown ups and not focus too much on the words people choose.
#32 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth:  Ya those are all good but look at what has been inspired by Long Halloween and Dark Victory alone. Hush and Long Halloween are largely excepted as the best Batman runs ever Loeb has 4 Eisner awards countless nominations and a whole crap load of other awards. Plus Morrison has been writing at least ten years longer "
Nothing has been inspired, they're elseworld books with good sales that's all, and 2 nominations?
Loeb's been accused of writing more junk than good books, looks at fall of the hulks and ultimatum
I've seen more people say RIP is a better book than just about everything else published is outside of The Killing Joke.

Morrison has been writing 5 years longer as far as comics go.

@Gylan Thomas said:
" @geraldthesloth: @geraldthesloth:     Final Crisis I'm pretty sure I understand the tones but I'm not a sure they fit with the characters. A lot of the stories you mentioned for morrisons career review do not involve the big characters, are out of continuity or are completely detached from the main DCU.  All i'm sayin' is I personally don't want morrison in the DCU.  I've enjoyed his work before but don't want him writing characters he doesn't get. Did you see his Wonder Woman in Final Crisis? (Have I mentioned Final Crisis made no sense and I seem to remember the great man him self appologising for that?) "
Than you obviously don't understand Grant's writing style, only one of them that I've acknowledged was out of continuity..that's funny because Jeph Loebs best Batman books are out of continuity as well. He doesn't get the DCU? everything he's done for it has been critically acclaimed Have I mentioned that Final Crisis made alot of sense and that you can't understand his writing style.
#33 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  

Seriously dude. Try to look past the words and see what people are really saying. 
None of us are really name calling Grant. We know it's all just comics.  
Morrison's probably a great guy but some folks aren't happy with the stuff he's wrote. 
Move past the words and see what's bein' said.
#34 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth:  Frank Miller said that Long Halloween was the inspiration for his Batbooks as well as being the inspiration for Nolans films. Than the Falcolnes Family who Loeb created Morrison is taking them over in his Bat books.
#35 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally It's Tim's writers fault that he's not looking for Batman blame it on Yost and not Morrison, it's Yost's story telling that's led Tim with Ra's and not Morrison.

If Morrison was an asshole that couldn't write batman, why is it selling more than just about any book is right now?

#36 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" Personally It's Tim's writers fault that he's not looking for Batman blame it on Yost and not Morrison, it's Yost's story telling that's led Tim with Ra's and not Morrison.  If Morrison was an asshole that couldn't write batman, why is it selling more than just about any book is right now? "
Batman would be selling more than any book if my Grandma was writing it. That is not writer that is character popularity just like Hulk and Avengers still sellout but everyone hates the writers
#37 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth:  

No offence. I really don't wanna make this personal nut I'm doubting your debating skills. 
For me and a lot of other readers Final Crisis made no sense and the whole RIP thing was a cop out. 
Only one of the stories you mentioned was out of continuity but most the rest were independent to the DCU. 

I understand Morrisons writing style and have enjoyed his work in the past but simply don't feel he works well with the big characters. Weather he's been working  five years longer than any one else or not is irrelevant to me. 

Please don't reply to this unless you can explain your thinking or at least explain final crisis to me. 

#38 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" Personally It's Tim's writers fault that he's not looking for Batman blame it on Yost and not Morrison, it's Yost's story telling that's led Tim with Ra's and not Morrison.  If Morrison was an asshole that couldn't write batman, why is it selling more than just about any book is right now? "
Batman would be selling more than any book if my Grandma was writing it. That is not writer that is character popularity just like Hulk and Avengers still sellout but everyone hates the writers "
Really? Considering Siege isn't selling as well as it could be yet a good writer is writing it, Dennis o'neil who's a great writer had low sales on Batman when he was writing it, but I guess his popularity couldn't save him there.
#39 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth:  Dennis O'Niel wasn't writing during major events or most of all after two of the most successful movies in history came featuring Batman when the world is in a Batman mania with two new cartoons and Batman's first appearance being the most expensive comic ever.
#40 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas: Independedt to the DCU?Seven Soldiers was more of a set up to Final Crisis than Countdown was, I think you've never read his work on the JLA as well or his work on the ressurection of Ras al Ghul
#41 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @Vance Astro:   Seriously dude. Try to look past the words and see what people are really saying. None of us are really name calling Grant. We know it's all just comics.  Morrison's probably a great guy but some folks aren't happy with the stuff he's wrote. Move past the words and see what's bein' said. "
The title of the thread is "Grant Morrison is an @sshole"..that's name calling.I see what's being said.You and Son of Magnus apparently have some problem with Morrison's writing.I got that.I completely understand, I made a thread similar to this about Brian Michael Bendis.The only reason i'm responding though is the words that were used to describe Morrison.If you don't really believe he's an a-hole..ok, but it's in the title and you kind of co-signed.
#42 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth:  Dennis O'Niel wasn't writing during major events or most of all after two of the most successful movies in history came featuring Batman when the world is in a Batman mania with two new cartoons and Batman's first appearance being the most expensive comic ever. "
Besides introducing Ras Al Ghul to the DCU
#43 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Gylan Thomas: Independedt to the DCU?Seven Soldiers was more of a set up to Final Crisis than Countdown was, I think you've never read his work on the JLA as well or his work on the ressurection of Ras al Ghul "
Well see their you bring me to a very good point in Resurrection he was fighting Tim because Tim wanted to use the Lazarus pit on his loved ones but Dick thought it was disgusting and said no and they fought. But now Morrison is going against himself by having Dick decide it is OK to use the pit on Bruce and Batwoman like WTF? The only reason I used that word is he is shafting characters and Batman through time is just a dumb concept in general. I still like him as a writer he is still one of my favorite's but he is not perfect. And I do like Hush and Long Halloween  better than any of his minis but that is opinion.
#44 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth:  Dennis O'Niel wasn't writing during major events or most of all after two of the most successful movies in history came featuring Batman when the world is in a Batman mania with two new cartoons and Batman's first appearance being the most expensive comic ever. "
Besides introducing Ras Al Ghul to the DCU "
I am talking about Final Crisis and Blackest Night and you know Comics were not as big back than
#45 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus:  

Again, I'm with this guy. the inconsistancy sucks 

@Vance Astro: 

Maybe I "kind of cosigned but I think you and I both have different understanding of the seriousness of the whole thing. And again. Morrison's a Scot. He's not as sensitive as you might imagine so I'm pretty sure he understands we're just a bunch of fanboys talkjin' fanboy nonsense. 

@geraldthesloth: 

Yes. I said "independent to the DCU". We3. The Inivisibles. I can pick and choose just as well as you :)
#46 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
@Vance Astro:   

Maybe I "kind of cosigned but I think you and I both have different understanding of the seriousness of the whole thing. And again. Morrison's a Scot. He's not as sensitive as you might imagine so I'm pretty sure he understands we're just a bunch of fanboys talkjin' fanboy nonsense. 

I'm not expecting him to be on CV reading this.
#47 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas: Because they're published on other companies..
#48 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth:  

New X-men and maybe Zenith too are seperate to any DC stuff I've read. 
I read and enjoyed JLA but had dropped batman before the Resurection of Ra's Al Ghul. But like Geraldthesloth pointed out how come Dick thought Tim using a lazuras pit was bad then but it's ok for him now even though morrison was behind both stories? 

@Vance Astro:

I'm pretty sure Grant's not reading this either. If he is though I'm sure he's not gonna be too fussed. 

I'm done here 'cause I'm startin' to feel like a fanboy arguin' over nonsense, choice of words and technicalities rather than what we really think or explanations of any thing. 

Thanks. 
It's been.......some thing.
#49 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth:  

In closing.... 
Your list not mine. 
Like I said. most were either out of coninuity (All Star Superman (didn't suck but never would've worked in continuity) or seperate to the DCU. 

I'm done. 
G' night 
XXX
#50 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas: Because dick wouldn't let another member of the Bat family die in Batwoman, he wanted her to keep going instead of knowing that another member would be lost, and if he hadn't Knight and Squire would have.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.