Grant Morrison Discusses Recreating Superman in Action Comics #1

• 82 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

When news of the revamp of many DC titles hit, it was shocking to many fans; and the decision to re-launch the first ever Superhero comic book, even more-so. The announcement that DC would relaunch Action Comics #1 which was first published in 1938 and contained Superman's very first character appearance was a bold move by the major publisher. However, the decision is one that weighs rather heavily on the shoulders of Grant Morrison, who will be responsible for writing the series based on a recent video (which you can watch above) of Morrison speaking to fans. In it he expresses his full understanding of the weight of relaunching Action Comics #1.

"What we wanted to do here was to re-create that first ever superhero Superman...to recreate that guy for the twenty-first century and to do something that's a little bit new and to take a new look at something that people have big pre-conceptions about..."

== TEASER ==

The goal, for Morrison and for DC is not only to "recreate that very first superhero comic," by re-telling the story of Superman's very first comic book appearance- but to change him and to re-introduce the character to a modern audience. So many people know the story of Superman which is why the character may seem like a hard sell- so the decision to relaunch him and action comics isn't entirely unexpected.

[What we wanted to do is] To change some of the basics and to re-introduce some familiar faces in some very unfamiliar ways.."

What is interesting, however, is the stress Morrison places on this "Superman for the twenty-first century." Not only will Morrison be telling the story of Action Comics #1 and of the very first superhero; but he will be doing so in a modernized way. The answer to the "how do you modernize Superman," question is by doing something "a little bit new." The plans to also "re-introduce" familiar faces in "new and unfamiliar ways," is also interesting; which makes me wonder whether or not the rumor about Lois Lane and Superman splitting up holds any validity. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see in September!

What do you think of the idea of a "new" Superman for the twenty first century, and do you think that this reintroduction of the character will bring in new fans? What would you like to see change? Do you trust Grant Morrison with Action Comics #1?

#1 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

oh god.............ugh

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

GRANT MORRISON IS KING OF THE UNIVERSE.

I cannot wait for this series. I love Morrison's Superman.
#3 Posted by Jake Fury (18319 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO @ the altering views in the first two comments.
#4 Posted by Golden Cod (420 posts) - - Show Bio

I trust Morrison far more then other writers <cough>Loeb<cough> to reinvent characters in interesting ways so I'll sign up for it.  

#5 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is anywhere near as good as All Star Superman, than I can't wait. Grant Morrison is one of the few people I trust to overhaul Superman without ruining him.

#6 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison is Scottish? Never read any Morrison but I guess I might pick this up.

#7 Posted by MutenRoshi (851 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman?  

SNORE 

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm no diehard Superman fan, so I'm not gonna scream blasphemy. I very much look forward to Morrison's take on the book.
#9 Posted by djotaku (441 posts) - - Show Bio

Gosh Darn you, Morrison!  You know, I was all set to ignore Supes and just do Batman, but now I'm going to have to pick up action comics for a least a few issues to see what you're up to there

#10 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

I think what we've seen of Action #1 so far, and what we've heard from Morrison is a perfect example of how DC could do things the right way. I'm really excited to read Action #1 and see where he takes Clark and exactly how a modern Superman sits with me. 

I believe in Grant Morrison.  

:P

#11 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1393 posts) - - Show Bio

really exited for  morrison's run on action comics,big superman fan regardless of this revamp just cant get on board with his new costume,the one on the superman#1 cover.......its so stupid

i mean it look its like putting a human head on a robot its just sad n if not for his balls of steel i think he'd be very uncomfortable in that .
#12 Posted by FLStyle (368 posts) - - Show Bio

This whole DC revamp is doing nothing more than pushing me more and more towards Marvel.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

What does all this mean for the new Superman Movie being made? Will the changes be incorporated in to it also?

#14 Posted by Outside_85 (8525 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if i know even a tiny bit about Morrison, then we are really about to see something we've never seen before when it comes to Superman...but i hope he's not going to make Supes a dad with a Livewire...

#15 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

Really looking forward to this.

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
LMAO @ the altering views in the first two comments.
#17 Posted by Billy Batson (57905 posts) - - Show Bio

:D 

BB

#18 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I did like all star superman.  I guess I'm in.

#19 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cosmic Sentinel said:
If this is anywhere near as good as All Star Superman, than I can't wait. Grant Morrison is one of the few people I trust to overhaul Superman without ruining him.
QFT
#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan: The outfit itself isn't terrible, it's just the way artists depict it.

#21 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait!

#22 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

We all say what happened in the late 90'swhen they tried doing something new with Sups (blue engergy suit cough cough). Lets hope this one doesn't damage dear old DC to much.
#23 Posted by TheNameIsWayne (48 posts) - - Show Bio

i am really pissed off that he is doing Superman. The superior character is Batman, and he was perfect writing for him. I fucking hate that kryptonian.

#24 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9563 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheNameIsWayne said:

i am really pissed off that he is doing Superman. The superior character is Batman, and he was perfect writing for him. I fucking hate that kryptonian.

Hahaha cry me a river
#25 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk about this.

#26 Posted by Vitality (1762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@UltimateSMfan: The outfit itself isn't terrible, it's just the way artists depict it.

Yeah...they make it look like armor.
#27 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Grant Morrison. He was able to make two Batmen work in the DCU, he has the chops to recreate Superman. I'll give it a chance.

#28 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio

What I am really wondering about is the power-set Superman will have. Is he just going to have the classic powers of strength, flight, and durability; or is he going to have all the crazy silver age powers or the more subdued, all be it still outlandish modern age powers.

Superman was the first comic I really started to collect and the reason I stopped was because every week he was pulling some crazy new power out of his power bag to beat the villain. I think if they just focus on giving him the original powers he could still be an awesome character. I mean is there a reason for a character like him to have super breath, heat vision, super hearing, etc... ?

#29 Posted by zombietag (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

i just hope i can understand any of it

#30 Posted by TerryMcC (306 posts) - - Show Bio

All of this is like Schrodinger’s cat, or in this case Schrodinger’s superhero, we won’t know what weather the critter is alive or dead until we open the box / book.

For myself I’ve been following comics a long time, and have no problem with change, change is what keeps pop culture alive and interesting.

In regard to all this, nothing is real, anything is permitted, and I think it will be fun.

#31 Posted by VanAce (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read much Superman but I have read Grant Morrision's work and I have faith that it will be done well. 

#32 Posted by VanAce (139 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

And remember, that is the cover. Covers are always a little misleading so I would complain about the costume until you actually see inside the comic.
#33 Edited by MydLyfeCrysis (106 posts) - - Show Bio

So, after reading other releases by DC where authors completely avoid saying this revamp is to rework Superman in a way for DC to legally keep the rights, this pretty much clinches that, doesn't it? They continually state it's in order to update the heroes, to bring them into this generation, for a new crowd, and other shite. But, in reality, a real crux of this is fundamentally altering Supes so DC can keep him. Hopefully it's not a complete stripping of the character we've grown to love since the first superhero book.

#34 Posted by GOREX (49 posts) - - Show Bio

You know now that I look at that cover better with the costume and all and hearing Morrison say they want to revamp him in a new and over the top way maybe... he is now a robot !!! Well that would be something unexpected. They could probably make up a nifty story about it of how the actual Superman died years ago and he was built by someone/something. An ever bigger surprise would be that it would turn out to be Brainiac as Superman because he somehow felt emotions/guilt/something and is now the new "Man of Steel". And every1 is happy but Batman... because he's Batman.

#35 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8983 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this would be a great chance to put Chloe Sullivan in the comics

#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright I'm officially on board. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt then that I will be getting the Superman Family #1s in September at the very least, and not only because Morrison is doing Action.  Pretty much I like to get anything involving the Man of Steel so I definitely will wish to try this if I try nothing else of the revamp.

#37 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@haydenclaireheroes said:
I think this would be a great chance to put Chloe Sullivan in the comics
I hadn't thought of that, but that's a great idea.
#38 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

agreed
#39 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah interesting twist place Superman's fate in Lex Luthor's hands....wait.

Really Morrison is a fountain of ideas especially when it comes to Superman in JLA, All Star Superman and Final Crisis he always found something cool for Superman to do and the Superman 2000 pitch by him Waid, Millar and Peyer really sounded like it would have injected new life in the character and updated him.

#40 Posted by TheMightyAvenger (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll wait to see if it's good or not before saying anything.

#41 Posted by Chris2KLee (173 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still not super excited for this whole DC relaunch thing. But if someone has to reboot Superman, I'm glad it's Grant.

#42 Edited by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh no! Change!  The bane of my existence!  *catches breath*  Well, alright...  If I have to.  I guess.

#43 Posted by mark5 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio
@vanace said:
I haven't read much Superman but I have read Grant Morrision's work and I have faith that it will be done well. 
second this.
#44 Edited by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio
Grant Morrison is comic book god.  If you have any doubts about his take on superman, go read All Star Superman.  It may be the best Superman series ever, hell it maybe the best comic series ever, period.  

@TheNameIsWayne
said:

I'm not a Superman fan by any means.  But that doesn't mean there is no potential.
#45 Posted by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio

Can anyone explain to me why any of these characters (Supes or otherwise) needs to be "recreated for the 21st century"? In what way have these characters not kept up with the times? Why do "the basics"need to be changed? And what is "modernizing" in this context? Honestly I don't think I get it.

#46 Posted by TerryMcC (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait a minute... that picture.... it's ASTRO BOY! 

Perhaps Gorex hit the nail on the head.

#47 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

This Superman suits is really horrible. I'm really angry. Superman looks stupid and looks like Superboy. I want Morrison to wrote Superman, but this disgusting suit it's not necessary.

#48 Edited by ozker1127 (46 posts) - - Show Bio
@UltimateSMfan
I think the outfit is something new, i perfer this one actually. Like Deranged Midget said, it is the way a artist depicts it. In the case of Superman #1, his head looks too big for his body. 

I think i will be broke reading all these "new" comics. But Im excited for Grant Morrisons Action Comics. He was awesome in All-Star Superman.
#49 Edited by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@MutenRoshi said:

All Star Superman?  

SNORE 

How DARE you! 
#50 Posted by B_Heart (152 posts) - - Show Bio

I like what morrision has done on Batman, so I'm willing to give this revamp a go.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.