Batman Fights Prince in Grant Morrison's Mind

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Purple rain, purple rain...
The Batman/ Prince connection just runs deep, doesn’t it? As I reference whenever I get the opportunity, the musician formerly known as “the Artist” created one of the most bizarre, yet fitting, soundtracks in movie history for the ’89 BATMAN movie.  21 odd years later and I still can’t get the beat to “Batdance” or the lyrics to “Partyman” out of my head. In fact, one of my pet dreams is to one day get the chance to write a Batman title and have the Caped Crusader actually fight Gemini -  - the dual Batman/ Joker persona Prince assumed for the movie-related music videos.

Alas, Grant Morrison has beaten me to the punch. He’s revealed over a multi-part look behind-the-pages of BATMAN & ROBIN on the Source that new supervillain, the Flamingo , was inspired, in part, by the Purple One. The cover to the right, in fact, was based on the poster of Prince’s film PURPLE RAIN. Drat! Foiled again. Ah well…

Prince wasn’t the only character cited by Morrison as inspiring the Flamingo. He also conceived of him as being an evil Zorro to serve as a dark mirror to Batman’s own inspiration in the Mexican swashbuckler. What I relish about a creator like Morrison is the broad swath of influences, both cultural and pop cultural, that he brings into his work. Who else references the Beatles , Dick Tracy, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, MY FAIR LADY, KILL BILL and a penitent order of flagellant monks when writing a Batman book? Much like the work of another of my favorite comics writers, Alejandro Jodorowsky,  Morrison’s best stories are dizzying parades of imagination that never abate.  

While we’ve got all the thumbnails, concept sketches,  color tests and raw pencils that went into the covers and new characters marking this new volume of BATMAN & ROBIN here, I highly recommend you all check out the Source and read Morrison’s own descriptions, which are a fantasy trip in of themselves.
== TEASER ==

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
interesting!
#2 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha, now I don't have to buy the special edition hard cover to get the sketches in the end.  Only kidding.  These aren't all of them.  Wish I could get this, but maybe later on, during July.

#3 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

He's on acid I know it
#4 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

i wish gm would write batman titles forever !!!!

#5 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:

" He's on acid I know it "

Grant Morrison makes his own drugs from chemicals aliens gave him.
#6 Posted by blaakmawf (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Chubby rain.

#7 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
" He's on acid I know it "
Morrison's drug use is a well known fact

Thought Flamingo's Bike looked familiar...
#8 Posted by Golden Cod (378 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else think that Damian's gray costume in the sketches look better then the traditional green-red-yellow?   The robin colors just don't seem to match Damian imo but I could see Morrison doing that on purpose.

On another note, that sumo wrestler in high heels is terrifying.   Like bearded lady meets wrecking ball...

#9 Posted by Cosmic Cube (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Little known fact: Comic Vine actually has a Prince character page. And his comic series was under a DC imprint, but he never got to fight Batman unfortunately.

#10 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

I know not everyone loves his writing, but you gotta admit, he's got such a fascinating mind! i love his stuff

#11 Posted by War Killer (19478 posts) - - Show Bio

Why didn't they go with this design? It's so cool and realistic, reminds me of The Dark Knight.

#12 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19709 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cosmic Cube: yet
#13 Posted by johnny_spam (2028 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dr. Maxwell: He has said last year that he doesn't do drugs anymore. 

I think it's interesting to get a look at a fresh take on Batman I think it's been way overdue to change his adventures.
#14 Posted by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio

It is no coincidence that I know all the lyrics to 1999.

The Flamingo is definitely one of my favourite villians in this run of B&R. I hope we see more of him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.