Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Note: There may be spoilers contained in the review

Recap

On this week's episode of Gotham, a group of bank robbers goes into a back and attempts a robbery. One of them is wearing a red hood. Said red hooded bank robber is a bit of a jokester. They get outside but the cops are coming. The red hooded robber tosses money into the streets, which causes citizens to go for the cash and it blocks the cops.

Gordon and Bullock investigate the robbery. They find a week prior a smoke bomb triggered the alarm. The robbers were casing the joint weeks before. An old friend visits Alfred, Reggie. Bruce insists he stays a few days.

Fish is brought to an old hospital. In the rooms, people are missing limbs. She enters a room and a man behind a desk asks her to sit. Back at the station, Gordon sees the man in the surveillance tape light the fire. He has his workshirt on in the video.

Meanwhile, at the auto place, the Red Hood is excited about the press the gang is getting and the Robin Hood aspects of the group. One of his men shoots him and takes the red hood. He's now the gang leader. Back at the hospital, Fish talks to the man behind the desk. She wants to talk to the owner of the facility and no one else. Fish wants the doctor's name. It's Dulmacher.... YES! Dollmaker is back!

Penguin is learning that running a club is not an easy job as another entertainment act fails. He finds that they are out of alcohol. Butch says Maroni deals the booze and he's not happy with Penguin.

Gordon and Bullock enter the autoshop. No one seems to be there. Bullock demands to know the particulars of Gordon's date with Thompkins. Bullock finds the dead body of the old Red Hood. Meanwhile, the new Red Hood is with his gang and robbing a new bank. Some of the hostages are hoping for some money. The Red Hood tosses it and the crowd goes wild.

Gordon and Bullock find out about the new robbery. They have a witness who saw the Red Hood take off his mask. Reggie sees Bruce come in the house and offers to help him learn to fight. Reggie tells him never to lose his cool. Reggie tells him to use what's around him to his advantage. Penguin goes to where Maroni holds his liquor. Butch sends in a few fake cops to shut it down.

Selina visits Barbara on the balcony, where she's having an alcoholic drink, early in the morning. Barbara tells Selina she's beautiful. Barbara offers up a bunch of her clothes as she drinks a glass of wine. Mixing wine and hard liquor? Oh my! Gordon and Bullock have an old fashion police line-up and plan on following the guilty party home.

Fish talks to the man behind the desk again. He says that there are clients all over the world who need their services and Dulmacher has his own experiments. The man says he's going to take Fish's eyes. Fish takes her own eye out with a spoon and squishes it.

Bullock and Gordon follow the Red Hood leader home. Another gang member is in his apartment. He wants the hood because his girlfriend thinks he's a loser. The leader says no because they only have one last job left before they skip town. The kid shoots the leader and leaves. Gordon and Bullock find application loans and all of them were denied. He wanted to open a pastry shop. Gordon finds the third bank they're going to rob.

Alfred finds Reggie stealing stuff from the house before he heads off after getting kicked out by Alfred. Reggie says he's in trouble. Alfred wants to help, but Reggie stabs him and walks off. Bruce finds Alfred and calls the police.

The new Red Hood puts on the mask and enters the bank with his two other gang members. All of the GCPD shows up. Cue gunfight. The GCPD ends up gunning them all down.

Gordon gets the call about Alfred and heads to the hospital where Alfred is pretty out. At the Wayne corporation, Reggie is there with information about what Bruce had against them.

Outside of the bank, a kid finds the Red Hood mask and puts it on. The end.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

I loved how the Red Hood gang operates. The idea where the most powerful in the group or the one who just gets a quick upper-hand is the leader is a pretty great move for this group, since there's no distinct leader of the gang.

As far as the adaptation goes for the Red Hood Gang from comic to television, it really works out well. There's power within the mask and nothing else and that's what this episode really says. It doesn't matter who is wearing the mask, as long as someone is in it. It's different but a really cool translation.

Wow. I can't believe the show went there by showing Fish take her own eye out with a spoon. That's a pretty intense scene and a decently gory one at that. I really like how her story is progressing and it's easily one of the better ones during this second half of the season.

What a freaking amazing turn with Reggie. The guy was living on the streets and I thought that maybe he's just in trouble with some mobsters or something, but nope, he was playing Alfred and Bruce the whole time and working for Wayne Enterprises. What a great idea to make the company the Waynes built to be the enemy.

Really pumped to see Dollmaker back, since he hasn't been around since the second episode of the show, even though he was only mentioned by name. This would have been even better if the show mentioned here and there that someone was still stealing kids or people. Again, we don't see him, unless the man Fish talks to is actually Dollmaker, but it's still great to see this show moving forward with a story line.

While that last gunfight was pretty fantastic, the CGI blood looked terrible. Remember when CGI blood wasn't a thing in television? Those were the days. Corn syrup>computer blood.

The scenes with Barbara, Ivy, and Selina continue their pointless voyage through this show, Barbara tries to show Selina that you can use sex to get what you want and Selina calls her out on it because Barbara is oh so alone. That was a pretty great moment but everything about these scenes feels like filler. It's not moving anywhere or adding anything to the show.

Back on the great side of things, Butch really grows into his own in this episode. He makes a statement that he doesn't want to be a sidekick anymore and this episode really makes him stand out. He's no longer standing behind anyone and taking orders. He's taking things into his own hands for the greater good, even if the greater good involves some illegal activities.

This was the first time, since the return from winter break, where Gotham feels like it has direction again and isn't a villain of the week television show. The Red Hood story was pretty great, the Alfred/Reggie story was pretty great, and Fish Mooney spooning out her own eye was pretty great. This episode restored a lot of my faith in the show and there's a few doors opened in this episode which the show can build on in the upcoming weeks. I'm surprised and happy that this show made a big turn-around.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think this was my favorite episode of the season so far. It had a couple of WTF!? moments and had a bit of everything going on. This is what I want from Gotham every episode! Expanding the storylines, cliffhangers and some shock and awe.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think this is the one episode where the Penguin was the weakest part of the show! (Selina, Ivy, and Barbara don't count as they are consistently pretty awful)

Five stars for me.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gotham331

I'm surprised this episode got 4 stars. Usually the episodes I liked and the ones the get graded down. Solid episode tonight. I even liked Bruce and Alfred this week. For Petes sake, do away with Selina and Ivy. They're bringing nothing to the table

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TrueMarvel

Shocked this episode got 4 stars. But everyone has an opinion i guess.

Everything about this episode imo, was less than mediocre. Only the "WTF" moments brought this episode up briefly at times.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I still don't get why people like Gotham...Much less, why it got picked up for another season? I'm feeling like that dog from the Cheese Chasers cartoon:

Loading Video...

Explain it to me, please.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't get why people like Gotham...Much less, why it got picked up for another season? I'm feeling like that dog from the Cheese Chasers cartoon:

Loading Video...

Imo, it's so bad its good. Kinda strange really. I enjoy the show but every time I watch it, its flaws are almost painfully apparent.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I thought this was a pretty solid episode. I agree with the review on pretty much everything.

Cobraskulls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cobraskulls

@judasnixon: every time I see her I think of Matt. So funny

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

The teaser for future episodes suggested Ed's going to be going on his path to becoming the Riddler very soon, which in turn gets me thinking Season 2 will be mostly about him. Makes sense, as most of the other villains are still pretty young (Joker, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, etc.)

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This episode had me picking up my jaw on two occasions.

This episode was a eye opener.

Cannot wait for next week.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before I read the comments and the review, lemme just say, FISH GOT DAMN MOONEY!

pipex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really loved all the little references of the joker, the first leader of the gang (the first red hood) being a bit crazy about the powers of the hood can bring you, then the third one saying his girlfriend thinks he's a loser (an seem a little off too), the stand up comedian been mocked at penguin's place, and last the kid who picked up the hood at the end more close to bruce's age (not a refrence but helps to make my point). all those things i hope opens a small chance that the supposably joker presented last week isn't in fact the joker, because one of the best thing of him is not knowing what his really origin is.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By KritikalMassX

@truemarvel said:
    @kritikalmassx said:

Loading Video...

Imo, it's so bad its good. Kinda strange really. I enjoy the show but every time I watch it, its flaws are almost painfully apparent.

I see...It's kinda like watching Batman And Robin (1997) for the first time and noticing the apparent flaws...Like, "Why is Bane a fricking idiot when in the comics, he's a intellectual?" or "Why is Batgirl related to Alfred when she's supposed to be related to Commissioner Gordon?"

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By godzilla44

Dang who ever is playing Alfred is putting a run for the for best Alfred which of course is Michael Cain.

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sachmoo said:

Before I read the comments and the review, lemme just say, FISH GOT DAMN MOONEY!

Yeah, now i am all for her having a triumphant return to Gotham.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Agreed actually. Well, I agree about many things in this review. I'd also go with four stars which is a pretty big upswing from the 2 star episodes we've consistently gotten since the mid-season finale. I'm still not convinced that this is a true turn around because the show has every once in a while pushed out a pretty good episode before returning to it's sub-par standard. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Bruce Wayned and Alfred continue to be the highlights of this show for me. Even when I hate most things about an episode, I still enjoy them. The Reggie reveal at the end actually surprised me. Which is a rarity for this show as most of it's reveals or twists have been formulaic and easy to spot. If nothing else, I'll likely continue to enjoy Bruce's transformation. Here's to hoping the rest of the storylines can rise to that standard.

Where I differ with this review is with Fish. The eye gouging scene made no sense and I don't see the appeal of her sub-plot. I'm glad they linked it into the ongoing Dollmaker story from earlier in the season but as it stands, the Fish stuff is not doing anything for me. I keep hoping that this show will win me back over and this was definitely a step in the right direction. Now I just need it to string together a number of quality episodes and then I'll be back on board.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Surprisingly...

A decent episode!

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By theMightyMODOK

"Barbara tries to show Selina that you can use sex to get what you want..."

Which is actually very creepy considering she and Pepper are both 14 years old.

I also really hope that last scene is what I think it is... COURT OF OWLS.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Barbara tries to show Selina that you can use sex to get what you want..."

Which is actually very creepy considering she and Pepper are both 14 years old.

I also really hope that last scene is what I think it is... COURT OF OWLS.

DITTO

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Two things i disagree on:

1) The Selina/Ivy/Barbara scenes are not pointless. Having Selina learn now how to use sex is a big part of who Catwoman becomes. Learning about that at 14 (or younger) is sadly, pretty realistic. Now, the scenes aren't particularly entertaining...but they aren't meaningless.

2) I have the opposite feelings about Fish. I've enjoyed the sub-plot, that her life isn't merely just tangling with Oswald and Falcone. However, I didn't the point of her eye-gouging. She's an assassin type..why not gouge out their eyes instead of her own? What did she gain by her actions? But I'm the one always preaching patience with this show.

Like that last week wasn't necessarily "Young Joker" Seems like they'll keep who he is shroud din mystery, by giving us several options for future Joker. I like that idea quite a bit.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking like the show will introduce a number of potential Jokers during its run, which is kind of a cool idea as long as they never go "This is the one. This is the real Joker."

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode. Totally agree that Barbara needs to go. I hope they play up the crap going on at Wayne Enterprises more. However, I worry if the young actor playing Bruce has the chops to handle anything that meaty. I'm at a complete lost why they following Fish, but am willing to stick it out to see where things lead.

Harryvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they had "3 blind mice" playing when they showed Ivy, Barbara and Selina together. I find it funny that Barbara is the Granny Goodness mother hen for future crazy con-women of Gotham. If you're going to be "batty" then you better learn from the best.

The whole time the guy with the Ace Ventura hair-don't was talking I was like, "It's him! That's going to be the real Joker!" Then he was shot and I remembered that the creators said before the show aired that there would be lots and lots of Joker possibilities.

The absolute best part about this week's Gotham was going through an entire review without reading an implied eyeroll. Here's three cheers for objective journalism!

What's the point of watching a show and then logging into a website to openly hate it? Comments like "I still watch this garbage but only bc it's so bad it's good". Do me a favor and post your home address so I can mail you a scarlet letter. It's one thing to have an opinion but to openly crap on something people enjoy is straight up obnoxious. Furthermore, who brags about doing things they hate? Do what most people do when they don't like something....shut up, go away and continue your life.

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or was Barbara totally sending pedo vibes toward Selena?

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Fish scene was definitely the stand out.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Aw, why'd they kill off the most interesting member of the gang first?

Also Jeffery Combs. 'Nuff said.

Kurosame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

OMG she "spooned" her eye out! O_o That was really freaking me out.
    Fish is imo the most interesing part of this series and I love her character. The rest of this episode was just meh. Especially the "main" part with the red hood gang was kinda pointless. Seriously, the only things that appeal to me on this show are Penguin and Fish Moony. :D

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By GREGalicious

I'm still not loving Gotham. It's a bit on the boring side and just feels like an all buildup and no payoff show. Why present so many future villains if we will never see them become who they're destined to be.

This show would've felt more relevant if it focused on mostly extremely obscure characters and original characters with the occasional appearance from a well know future villain character.

Standing against other comic shows like Arrow, Flash, Walking Dead, Agent Carter, and even Constantine and Agents of SHIELD, this show comes off as bland.

It's throwing in too many "just because" well known comic characters to be effective as a police drama and most of the cast aren't interesting enough for it to be an effective comic show. It just feels stuck in the middle.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mickeymayhew

I wish they had "3 blind mice" playing when they showed Ivy, Barbara and Selina together. I find it funny that Barbara is the Granny Goodness mother hen for future crazy con-women of Gotham. If you're going to be "batty" then you better learn from the best.

The whole time the guy with the Ace Ventura hair-don't was talking I was like, "It's him! That's going to be the real Joker!" Then he was shot and I remembered that the creators said before the show aired that there would be lots and lots of Joker possibilities.

The absolute best part about this week's Gotham was going through an entire review without reading an implied eyeroll. Here's three cheers for objective journalism!

What's the point of watching a show and then logging into a website to openly hate it? Comments like "I still watch this garbage but only bc it's so bad it's good". Do me a favor and post your home address so I can mail you a scarlet letter. It's one thing to have an opinion but to openly crap on something people enjoy is straight up obnoxious. Furthermore, who brags about doing things they hate? Do what most people do when they don't like something....shut up, go away and continue your life.

oh well said!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.