inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Note: There may be spoilers within the review and recap of this episode.

Recap

On this week's episode of Gotham, in the aftermath of last week's episode, Fish is being held captive and a surgeon looking guy named Bob will be taking care of her. Doesn't seem like he'll be very kind to her.

Gordon is working at GCPD again and already on a new case with a new death. A drug dealer is killed and Gordon and Bullock need to find out who did it. Gordon notices something peculiar. The heel of the dead man's shoe has a secret compartment in it and there's some drugs in it. The night janitor has some info for them. He goes to the precinct to work with a sketch artist. A man enters the area he's being held and asks if the janitor saw who did it, he then stabs the janitor to death. Nygma finds that the man who killed the janitor is the same man who killed the drug dealer.

Bob starts his work on Fish and Fish spends her time getting under his skin. Meanwhile, Butch is tied up in the back of a truck. He doesn't know his fate yet. The men driving he truck stop and Butch gets out and subdues the thugs.

Gordon, Essen, and Bullock are chatting about how someone under police custody and in the precinct was killed. Gordon points fingers the rest of the GCPD, since corrupt cops are something pretty ordinary.

Alfred and Bruce drive around town looking for Selina. They bump into Ivy on the street and Bruce passes on a message that he's looking for Selina.

Bob tortures Fish but Fish is one tough cookie and asks for a bit more. Bob grabs a hammer and is about to take out her knees, but Butch comes in and does what Butch does best: he beats down Bob and it's pretty awesome.

Gordon finds an officer who could be behind letting the criminal into the interrogation room. Jim knocks him out and finds a bunch of drugs in his trunk. Another cop says that Delaware (the cop he knocked out) is part of an on-going narcotics investigation. Something doesn't smell right though.

Butch and Fish are out on the lamb and Fish wants to kill Penguin for his betrayal. Meanwhile, Penguin shows his mother the club that he now runs.

Bullock and Gordon go and find Delaware and his men and see boxes full of drugs. Delaware says they have a warrant to search the warehouse they are in, signed by the Judge. Looks like they have their backs covered.

Things get weirder when Bullock and Gordon get back. Apparently, internal affairs ruled his stabbing in the back a suicide. What's going on? This is nutty. Essen wants Bullock and Gordon to move on.

The rest of the cops continue to be awful to Nygma. I kind of want to jump into the show and smack those jerks around myself. Poor Nygma.

Gordon heads to Fish's club to find Penguin and his mother. She's smitten with Gordon because he's a tall drink of water. Gordon wants info on the drug trade and what's happening inside the GCPD. Penguin says he'll look into it and says Gordon owes him nothing because they're friends. Zsasz finds Bob beaten to a bloody pulp and shoots him the head for letting Fish get away.

Penguin gets drunk in his new club during a "getting drunk" montage. Fish and Butch enter and Fish has a baseball bat.

Bruce plays chess by himself at the manor and Selina shows up. Bruce got Selina a present. It's a snowglobe! Bruce wants to know if Selina wants to stay at the Wayne Manor. Selina tells Bruce that she never saw his parent's killer's face, so she can't help him so Bruce needs to stop coming after her.

Penguin enjoys kissing Fish's shoes. Fish enjoys hitting Penguin with a bat. Penguin pleads and begs for his life. Zsasz enters and a shootout begins. Butch takes down one of Zsasz henchwomen. Butch gets Fish to safety and stays behind. Zsasz shoots him once and demands to know where Fish is.

Kringle approaches Nygma and apologizes for the big jerk head earlier. She runs out of there before Edward can make another move on her.

A man comes in, who works for Penguin, and drops a load of evidence on Gordon's lap, including the murder weapon.

A heartbroken Bruce Wayne cries near a smashed snowglobe. Alfred tells him to get his act together.

Gordon approaches the cop who murdered Winkler. He has some corrupt cop buddies as well. Gordon makes a stand and gives a compelling speech and other cops, including the captain get behind him. Essen arrests the man.

Bullock meets with Fish at the port. Fish says she's leaving town for a while and then coming back to kill Penguin. Bollock tells her not to come back. Fish wants Bullock to find Butch.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

Butch totally whoops some butt in this episode. It's great to see the spotlight a bit more on him. He's fantastic and more than Fish's second in command.

We get another montage where Jim asks a group of people a bunch of questions about the case, much like before the break while Jim was at Arkham. It's cheesy and the music playing during it is silly and really takes the show out of that moment. Speaking of the music, the scene with Kringle and Nygma has some pretty awful music as well. It's ominous with a hint of mischievousness which would work well in a forgettable Dreamworks animated film, but here, it's cartoonish. It's like the bad music never stops in this episode. Again, we have some silly music going on during the scene where Penguin shows his mother the new club he runs.

It's not all awful. The score was pretty fantastic when the Winkler's widow shows up. It really hit the emotional value of the scene.

Ivy is bad and not in the "villain" sense. The actress playing her is not up to par with the rest of the cast. Could this be on the director or the child actor? Who knows. Her character serves a point but she's just rough to watch on screen.

The Edward Nygma story is building very slowly, but it's working extremely well. I love this character. I feel for him. I hate seeing all of these guys bully him around and I want him to get vengeance. Am I vindictive? Everything felt a bit more at ease by the end of the episode as Kringle apologized for the big jerks earlier. We can still see the tension rising in the character and it will come to a head very soon.

Zsasz and his crew are terrible shots. This is the second time he's been involved in a shootout and they just can't seem to hit their targets. What an awful hitman. Kidding, kind of.

There was a lot going on in this episode, but it all meshed together incredibly well. Stories played out relatively organically. Gordon's first case back at GCPD prove that not all the corruption is gone, but it is a bit frustrating to see Captain Essen pull back, even after backing Gordon in a previous episode. Regardless, it did provide a really interesting first case for Gordon and reestablishes the fact he wants to change Gotham and get rid of crime, everywhere.

By far, the best part of the episode is the Penguin storyline. It's great to see this character grow and evolve, but a part of me is bummed that he doesn't have that fight in him that we saw in those opening episodes, where he stabbed a group of college students that picked him up. Where's the viciousness? Anyway, the change in power in the criminal underworld gives that part of Gotham a fresh feel. Not saying it was getting stale, but they switched things up and just the right point.

There's a lot of little, minor annoyances throughout this episode, but "Welcome back, Jim Gordon" offers a more of a "return to normalcy" episode of the show. The show gets back on its tracks and delivers a really cool episode.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really wanted Flass and Gordon to get into a fist fight.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please keep young Bruce to a minimum

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

I may sound like a broken record. But this show is great without the kids. They were in three useless scenes, cut it to zero and focus on Gordon.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Really loved this episode. As a huge Riddler fan I'm so happy with Nygma's slow burn story. I can't wait to see it come to a head.

I want to see Zsasz transition to the knife welding maniac we all know and fear.

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the end we see Gordon also realize that by bringing Penguin into the situation he's becoming as corrupt as Flass.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This was a big improvement over last week. I hated last week's episode but all the stuff with Gordon in this episode was really engaging. I still have problems with pretty much all of the side plots. It's also annoying that two recent major plot points have little lasting impact. Gordon was only in Arkham for one episode and Fish was in captivity for less than half an episode. It still changed the status quo for her character but I would have liked more from that sub-plot. Especially since that was such a focus of the first half of the season. Oh well, this show remains decent most of the time (with a couple major duds sprinkled in) and this was one of the better episodes. 4 out of 5.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I never thought I'd say this but... Why don't they just cancel this and give Penguin his own TV show? Robin Lord Taylor owns the role and is the only reason I even bother with this show when I remember it's on.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Excellent episode!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm gonna have to watch this online.

Nightwing1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is one of the best episodes so far. And loving the Penguins story. He's so weird and awesome in the same time. I found the expression on Gordon's face when Penguin's guy drop's off the bag of evidence very funny. Starting to love this show even though is has flaws..

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may sound like a broken record. But this show is great without the kids. They were in three useless scenes, cut it to zero and focus on Gordon.

My thoughts as well.

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is improving.

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 35

How does this show get 4 stars? Is it because it's Batman related? The acting by most of the cast on this show is un-watchable.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually feel the same way. But... the Cat and Bruce seen was far from useless. It served 2 purposes:

1. Hardens Bruce, and makes his heart a smidge colder.

2. It also puts him back on the path he started on, learning the lesson, to not get sidetrack from his misson.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I never really took the time to watch Gotham...Maybe I don't see this as a comic book show (or a superhero show) and just see this as another cop drama. But I'm guessing it's a lot more than a cop drama, huh?

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

GodxDarkxOpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GodxDarkxOpal

@lorddarkfox: Lol...Telling you to watch the language like he's a mod or your mother...Lol...Loser

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode. (It was interesting to see how Gordon realized that what he did was wrong)

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I was so pumped up after the last episode, shit was going down! And now... it's like they are kind of turning back the clock... not sure what to think about that. Sure, it's cool to have a classic character like Flass on the show, but I would have rather watched how Falcone is doing after last episode.

I liked how Gordon realized that he is not as clean as he thought he was at the end of the episode. I look forward to seeing where they'll take that. Bruce was great as always. No Barbara sightings made me happy and Penguin's mother is great.

One thing I didn't get: how the hell did Butch survive the last episode?!

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

LOL the kid drama in this episode.

But seriously, aside from that scene, this episode was great.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The show is just getting better and better. Penguin, Bullock, Gordon and Nygma are awesome, plus less Barbara and Selina.

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By LordDarkFox
    Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim's found out it's very easy to become Harvey.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By d9000

Jim's found out it's very easy to become Harvey.

Let's hope he doesn't start kissing Penguin.

No Caption Provided

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a good episode for Bruce and Selina. That was always something I wondered about before. How could Selina have seen the guy when he was wearing a mask? I always thought she new something about him despite the mask. Anyway, now she's been exposed as a LIAR!!! This kind of thing makes me imagine the future of Bruce and Selina and how this could affect their relationship in the future.

And really, Zsasz and his gal pals REALLY need to hit the shooting range. They can't hit anything AND they never take cover?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

The Iceberg Lounge is born

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: i think she was lieing to get bruce to leave her alone because bruce was getting to close to her and she didn't want that.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: i think she was lieing to get bruce to leave her alone because bruce was getting to close to her and she didn't want that.

You think? Wasn't the guy wearing a mask though? How would she have seen anything that Bruce didn't? Unless I'm wrong about the mask thing. But then if Bruce had seen him he'd know he was wearing a mask and would have question how Selina had seen his face.... Ugh, I'm getting a headache. I'm just gonna go back to not thinking about it.

I was thinking that at some point in the series that Fish would take Selina under her wing and teach her some bad things. I wonder if that "ship" has sailed?? (lol, that's my pun for the day) (Fish did leave Gotham on a ship right? I'm thinking she didn't just walk off into the water.)

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: he put a mask on as he was running up to them maybe Selena who was on the roof people watching saw him before he put his mask on and bruce might have been a tad bit distracted by his parents being murdered.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comic_book_fan:

I hear what you're saying. Bruce has ADD! So easily distracted. What is it with kids these days! :p

But yeah, that makes sense. I'll go back to thinking she knows.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.