Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Recap

This week on Gotham, Gordon adjusts to his new life working at Arkham Asylum, which includes enjoying a play put on by the inmates. His new boss, Director or Doctor Lang is really riding him and thinks he's unfit for the job. Gordon discovers one of the patients, or someone else, has been shocked to the point of being brain dead. Lang puts the blame on Gordon even though Gordon tells him its a skeleton crew running it with no surveillance. Gordon goes on the hunt to find out how this happened. He interviews the inmates and finds little help from them. Gordon discovers an inmate out of his cell and sees his head has been fried, like the man before.

A new doctor makes her way into Arkham Asylum: Dr Leslie Thompkins. Apparently, Gordon is now infamous among the people of Gotham and the inmates of the asylum. She helps Gordon help with the investigation of who is shocking the inmates.

Bullock comes to Arkham to help investigate the assaults. Bullock puts Lang in his place, in a hilarious manner, and takes him down to the station as a suspect. When he gets there, he sees Penguin in a holding cell. Penguin was taken downtown after threatening some dock workers. Penguin wants Bullock to call Maroni to get him out, but Bullock makes a couple of jokes about loving seeing Penguin while he's working at his desk. Bullock grills Lang about who could be doing this.

It turns out that an inmate posing as a nurse is behind it all and she releases all of the inmates from their cells.

Selina and Ivy are both living on the streets together, but it's tough for Ivy to adjust to her new living situation. Selina breaks into Gordon's place so she and Ivy have a place to stay, out of the rain because Ivy is sick.

Fish Mooney starts to make a play for power in the crime family of Gotham. She wants to be on top, but she's not next in line. She gets Butch to help her out but she thinks Butch may be turning on her. Butch has a chat with Jimmy, the man next in line for the throne. Jimmy makes Butch an offer to join up with him and leave Fish. Jimmy offers Butch almost too much to pass on.

Barbara is staying with Renee now. Renee knows Barbara needs help because she's popping pills. She calls Gordon's and gets to talk to Ivy on the phone.

Turns out inmate Jack Gruber was behind it all with the help of the help of an inmate named Aaron. Gordon and Bullock make it back to the Asylum to find Lang, dying. There's a note for Gordon at the Asylum from Gruber. In the note, Gruber says he's been using electricity to warp people. Gordon comes home to find the someone had been staying at his place, but Selina and Ivy are not there.

Butch meets Jimmy at the docks and Jimmy asks him if he's in. Butch ends up taking Jimmy out.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

Putting Gordon into Arkham Asylum was the best thing you could do to the show. Not that the show was getting stale, but it really was getting a "villain of the week" flavor to it. Throwing Gordon into Arkham not only shows another side of how Gotham operates, but it gives Gordon room to grow away from the other supporting characters, which is pretty cool to see.

Donal Logue really shines in this episode. He's really found his footing with the character of Harvey Bullock. He brings a comic relief to the show, which isn't over the top at all. In addition, he brings some hard-boiled detective work to the show too. He's made Bullock a very dynamic character.

As much as I've complained in the past about Selina, Barbara is a badly written character, far worse than anyone else. She's a folly for everyone else's emotions and stories. She got to have a scene talking on the phone to Ivy, which was the highlight of two poorly written characters engaging in some bad dialogue in an awful and meaningless scene. Both of these characters make me really appreciate Selina Kyle right now.

David Zayas as Salvatore Maroni is awesome. I'm so happy to see him back in this role on the show.

It's revealed nurse Dorothy is the person behind the madness, and least we think she is. And for the time being, I was cocky and said "I called it." However, we get this fantastic turn and find out Gruber was behind it and I was actually pretty surprised. Better yet, this story will continue onto next week as well.

The story for the episode really works. We're introduced to some great, new characters and the episode really grabs the audience. There is another downside that this episode will be a one and done for Gordon at Arkham, since next week's preview shows Gordon back on the streets. I think for the good of the show, he needs to stay there a few more episodes. One doesn't seem like enough.

"Rogues' Gallery" wasn't a powerhouse episode filled with action and adventure, but it was a great episode that sat more in the realm of police procedural with a mix of mafia. This was the episode that felt like Gotham found its footing. Sure, the Barabara and Ivy scenes were utterly awful, but on the bright side, Selina was a much more subdued and tolerable character to the point where I actually kind of enjoyed her short time on the screen. This episode was broad and covered a lot of ground, but it did so extremely well. Gotham has me hook, line, and sinker.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Oh right... Gotham... I kinda forgot that was a thing.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Transformers1024

Wait, what? This is back on tonight? I haven't even heard much about this show since it's midseason...

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this episode, though I'm unsure as to how there was NO record whatsoever of crazy nurse lady being an inmate. I very much liked the music at the end of the episode, too.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still incredibly plain, predictable, and most of all uninteresting.

Why is this show still going?

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I didn't even know that it was on tonight! Oh well, I guess I'll have to catch up online.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is still on?

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This comment is so I fit in... I didn't even know this was still on tv! Now my actual comment. I enjoyed this episode. I agree with you, Mat, about the strong points and the weak points of the show. Especially Barbara!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#8  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

whattt? This show came back?

-SWAG

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

I knew It came back,but I recorded it. I'll get around to watching it...eventually.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Great episode

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh right... Gotham... I kinda forgot that was a thing.

How do you always get top comment?

BumBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barbara was so corny to me in this episode. She was having sex with Renee and then gets mad when she thinks Jim moved on.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@patrat18: He's a comment cougar, always on the prowl :)

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad they didn't shoehorn Bruce into this episode.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sachmoo

This is the most intriguing show going right now. As per usual around here, the lack of flip Back kicks, Superpowers and all around unrealism has people uninterested. Storylines laced with pseudo-realism doesn't cut it. No wonder critics think Nolan style Hero flicks are dead.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you take out every scene involving "Cat", "Ivy", and Barbara this episode is 5 stars.

That how bad those characters are dragging down the show as a whole

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Sometimes I wonder whether Laurel or Iris is the more terrible character, but then every Monday I'm reminded that Barbara exists.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really getting annoyed of Barbra.... At least Iris has her moments but Barbra is practically Laurel from Arrow S1

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't care for it. Was very predictable and for every scene I liked there were three that left me shaking my head in disappointment.

I'll list my biggest problems.

1. Any scene with Isiah Whitlock Jr. I don't know if he just phoned it in or what but that was some terrible back and forth during anytime he was on screen.

2. Cat and Ivy...need I say more.

3. Barbra and Renee storyline should be cut completely.

4. The nurse no one knew was an inmate...seriously..? Not to mention a play in a mental institution?

5. Gordon's little get back in your cell moment and the words with the guard about his keys were both cringe worthy.

I wish the show just stuck to the mob and cop stuff it's what it does best.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22 frozen  Moderator
    RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Seriously, can someone bring in Hugo Strange and put him in charge of Arkham?

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This ep was ok and yeah Jim Gordon Mall Cop needs to stay at Arkham a bit longer. Did anyone else notice Jim had a radio attached to his belt and think it weird he didn't think to radio for the lockdown instead of asking Dr. Thompkins to.

Also Barbara you got fooled by a pre teen

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great ending. If only the show had that tone throughout.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Oh Gotham's back.. missed this one though dammit =(

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the(poison) Ivy fore shadowing.

But yeah barbara needs something done.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, I wish Barbara would just die already. And Renee too. I can't believe they are wasting her character on this lame-ass lesbian love drama with Gordon's girlfriend.

Selina outwore her welcome 6 episodes ago.

Ivy's actress is absolutely god-awful.

The only female characters that don't suck ass are Sarah Essen and Leslie Thompkins.

Also, LOL at Dorothy somehow disguising herself as one of the asylum stuff. I actually burst out laughing at the explanation for that, that's how stupid the whole thing was.

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@dark_stranger: Why do you watch then? And I am not being sarcastic. If you hate it, don't watch and the ratings will go down.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounded like the Joker was there when the Nurse was killed

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

NEWSFLASH: Nobody gives a crap if you don't like it so there is no need to come on this review every week and comment how you "think it should be canceled" or "why is this still on?" all that does is make you sound like a douchebag. "Hey.. hey guys I don't like this one thing so I think that means nobody should". I don't like tomatoes but that doesn't mean I want to ban them from all shops. Grow up.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jv said:

@dark_stranger: Why do you watch then? And I am not being sarcastic. If you hate it, don't watch and the ratings will go down.

Probably cause I was willing to give it another chance.

But seeing as how it hasn't improved, nor changed my opinion of it. I'm now pretty much done with it.

@sachmoo said:

This is the most intriguing show going right now. As per usual around here, the lack of flip Back kicks, Superpowers and all around unrealism has people uninterested. Storylines laced with pseudo-realism doesn't cut it. No wonder critics think Nolan style Hero flicks are dead.

Or it's just the fact that the characters (bar Penguin. Of whom is the only good thing in this show) are all flat, and poorly acted for a majority of them. As well that the plot (again Penguin story aside) is just terribly plain, predictable, and just uninteresting. Is the reason why people don't like it, rather than over the top action or powers, as you seem to suggest.

Linore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linore

The writers seriously need to find a way to make Barbara's character likable or at least tolerable this just sad with how shes written

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark_stranger: Or it's just the fact that the characters (bar Penguin. Of whom is the only good thing in this show) are all flat, and poorly acted for a majority of them. As well that the plot (again Penguin story aside) is just terribly plain, predictable, and just uninteresting. Is the reason why people don't like it, rather than over the top action or powers, as you seem to suggest.

And that's your opinion, that's fine. Some of the acting is bad, but compare that to the beginning of Arrow where pretty much ALL the acting was bad, most of which hasn't gotten better. What carried that show, was a guy wearing green doing back flips shooting arrows. Now people love it (Including me) despite its poor acting.

As far as predictable, all of these shows are pretty much predictable. Why? because they are based on events in which we already read about in comics. They may throw a few curveballs and such, but basically, we know whats going to happen.

It's fine though, don't watch a show you don't like.

Avatar image for darkseid_beyond
    Darkseid_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"You're right detective. I am afraid of authority and the things I'm hiding, I'll never tell you."

"Sounds heavy."

"Heavy? Yes and if you know what's good for you, you won't dig any deeper."

I really want to see a Court of Owls storyline presented in Gotham. The show already has an opening for their appearance, considering the mystery surrounding the Wayne's murders and young Bruce Wayne who is interested in finding the truth. There could be a great scene in this show where Bruce tracks the Court to the Harbor House, only to find it empty and he's rescued by Alfred a few days later after being trapped inside. The Court should remain a mystery by the end of the arc however. Perhaps Gordon and Bullock can get close only to have their investigation fall apart, but then we as the audience get a tease showing the Court being real. A problem for the future Batman to clean up when he's ready. This show has all kinds of potential.

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"You're right detective. I am afraid of authority and the things I'm hiding, I'll never tell you."

"Sounds heavy."

"Heavy? Yes and if you know what's good for you, you won't dig any deeper."

I really want to see a Court of Owls storyline presented in Gotham.

yeah me too man.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About Barbara..all the complaints about her, are, I think, THE WHOLE POINT OF THE CHARACTER. Folks she's messed up, she's NOT SUPPOSED to be "likable"

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_stegman  Moderator

@saren: And Barbara is apparently stupid enough to think a 10 year old girl is an adult who's with Jim.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Decent episode. Not amazing.

I enjoyed Leslie Thompkins - a character who I've never cared much about in comics. Bullock was fantastic. And Arkham made for a fun setting.

The villain reveal with the Nurse was expected, but the "twist" with Electrocutioner and Amygdala was a nice touch.

I honestly don't understand why everybody loves the mob angle of the show so much. It just seems horribly corny and cliche to me. The Penguin is the only part of that storyline that I find remotely interesting. Fish, Maroni, Butch, and Falcone (and that's Falcone-NEE!) all just fall very flat to me, both in the characterization and the acting departments. I'm even find the kids (Bruce, Selina, and Ivy) to be more enjoyable to watch onscreen.

Not much to add on Barbara. She just plays that type of role that people are designed to dislike. Though it's a shame that Renee Montoya - a fantastic character in comics - has to be dragged down with her. I think Barbara just needs to get pregnant with twins and leave the show for a while. Maybe come back someday after the audience and the characters have had time to cool down. Then she might have a chance at becoming tolerable.

e@saren said:

Sometimes I wonder whether Laurel or Iris is the more terrible character, but then every Monday I'm reminded that Barbara exists.

I quite like Iris. I feel like she plays that type of role that people typically hate, but that as a character she has sidestepped the situations that might make everybody dislike her. That's definitely more than can be said for Barbara or Laurel (though Laurel has her moments, I suppose).

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's all the Gotham hate I thoroughly enjoy it

Harryvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Harryvine

CSI: Gotham was turning into a villain of the week. I want this show to be more have more of a detective angle with story arcs that play out for 2 or 3 episodes. Batman's best stories have multiple random things going on at once that he eventually connects. It looks like we are heading in that direction. Very excited. If you thought the show was getting stale, this is a great time to jump back on.

Whoever mentioned Hugo, YES!

Don't ever put Iris in the same category with Laurel and Barbara.

Send Barbara to the beach! A bikini can be a good distraction.

Penguin/Mafia is getting stale but at the same time I really liked Butch getting some time. It's nice to see the spotlight shone on a different POV in a sitch.

Inmates putting on a play...hilarious. Then again it was an inmates idea. The nurse was hilarious.

"You look good in that uniform Jim" - Jim Gordon's future wife, Sarah Essen

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

House party at Arkham Asylum,
    Where there ain't no ifs ands or buts.
    'Cuz we're disoriented,
    As well as demented,
    Yeah we've all gone a little bit nuts!

I like how everyone was fully aware of Arkham's crappy security. Big maze, no cameras, etc.

(Did Barbara seriously think Ivy, who can't be more than 10, was seeing Jim? And why is she pissed off about it after banging Montoya? Hypocrite)

Anyone else think "Jack Gruber" is really Hugo Strange?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.