Follow

Gotham City

Location » Gotham City appears in 9979 issues.

Gotham City is under the protection of Batman and his proteges from the criminally insane supervillains, gangs, and mobs that litter its streets.

The Id, Ego, and the Superego of Gotham

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By thehummingbird

The Id, ego, and superego diagram was first created by a psychiatrist named Freud. It was a theory about what people's personalities were composed of. The Id: the most basic form of human instinct, on thinking about oneself, and pleasure. Ego: Defined by the in between of the Id and the Superego, the ego both focuses around one selfish desires, but is also aware of when their actions are incorrect. Superego: when it is impossible to do anything selfish, you are constantly looking and making the best decisions for others. For a list of quick character examples, the best and most basic example I could find, The Cat and the Hat. Within this story their are three perfect examples of all three. The first the Id, the Cat, all the Cat is trying to do his have fun and he does not care who he hurts or what he has to do to have it. The Ego, the narrator and his sister, Through out the whole story they are battling if it is wrong or right to have fun with the Cat as he destroys their house, Last is the Fish, who is the Superego of the story, constantly trying to tell the kids that what they are doing is neither best for them or for their mother. Now relating this concept back to Gotham. 

I propose that in order to have a well a balanced book that all three of these characters most be present. Within Gotham City this is done almost as well, and almost as obvious as the Cat and the Hat. The Id: The Joker constantly trying to create his fun and hurts whoever is near in order to please his twisted since of humor. The Ego: Catwoman, through out all history in Gotham Catwoman has always balanced walking the line between good and evil. She constantly has an inner fight with herself as to why she does things that she knows to be wrong, like stealing and hurting those closest to her, but she is still aware that it is wrong. Last once again I am sure everyone saw this one coming but, The Superego: Batman, he for the most part has a no kill policy, and will save anyone he sees to be in danger regardless of circumstances, a perfect superego. Just another Idea that I am aware that the writer probably did this unintentionally, but does that not make it even more interesting how are minds want to constantly see how these three different forms of characters act together? I have not looked for other examples, but I do plan on it. I just found this interesting when I noticed how easy it was to place these characters to the diagram. 

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

Huh, Batman never struck me as having an ego. To me if he had an ego he would have told people he was Bruce Wayne. I guess there are signs that he has an ego, No one else has the police shine their symbol in the sky when something happens. Batman still seems to be doing hat he does for nothing other than to help his town.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thehummingbird
    @hydrabob:  

A superego is complete selflessness in psychology sorry I may not have clarified well ^.^' That is what I said Batman represented, and Catwoman the Ego 
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz

You could say that the ego represents any of the anti-hero types, or reforming criminals. 
    thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thehummingbird
    @RazzaTazz:  

Yep, that works I just love using literary tools...XD It is one of my favorite past times...It is always fun when you can match them up  as if they were a puzzle, and, all the aspects and archetypes are present because the human mind  works different, but the same as everyone else. We all the same ideas just in different formats.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

Great comparison/reference. Thus great blog. Thus great blogger! 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.