Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Gotham City Sirens #3 Reviewed!

Gotham City Sirens #3
    Written by: Scott Lobdell 
    Art by: Guillem March

How much do I love thee, Guillem March, let me count the ways! The consistency of the art in this latest issue is what initially struck me. The emotions are so vividly captured and relate directly to the text in the story. That is what good comic book art is all about! The artistic interpretation of the Riddler was the highlight for me. His eccentricities and theatrics are played out to perfection in every panel. Everything about his neurotic behavior from the way he reenacts the murder scene he is investigating, to the abundance of green jackets and matching bowler hats we find in his closet, were just perfect. While it is always a pleasure to see magnificent art; it is equally as exciting to see a character that you love written well, which I always found rarely happens with Edward Nigma. To write an intellectual and clever character without completely dumbing down the characters he interacts with can often be a challenge. Scott Lobdell, however, writes the best Riddler I have read in a long time- possibly not since HUSH. I was truly impressed with the characterization of both Riddler as well as Dick Grayson in this book. Lobdell writes Grayson, who is still adjusting to the role of Batman, perfectly; particularly the line where he slips and says "You're not helping people by scaring them." A line so in character for Grayson, but completely out of character for Batman. Of course, we can not have a Riddler story without seeing him match wits with the Bat at least once! The narration is effortless and transitions smoothly from Dick to Riddler with ease. I really recommend this book to anyone who has been waiting for a good Riddler story. Of all the three books in this series so far, this one has been the best of the bunch. The Lobdell/March creative team do not disappoint!
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By johnny_spam

Two issues and already another  writer I guess whatever it takes for the books to come out regularly.  That is one of the most sexy covers to a comic I have seen and March's art and it was beautiful in The Last Days of Gotham story but the colorist in Sirens takes away from it I think.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheBug

Happy to see Riddler in the spotlight. Looks like a great read, seems like creative team captured Eddie's charm.
    Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Ravn

I really enjoy this series and I loved this issues! Everything about it, from the art, to the dialogue and wit, to the pacing! Plus I think its doing a great job tying into Streets of Gotham, as well as the REST of the Batman Mythos. (Which cannot be said for Batman & Robin, sadly... LOL)

But overall, VERY happy with it!! :)

Avatar image for batarrowlantern
    batarrowlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By batarrowlantern

of the 3 it is not my fav. Oh and did you really think MEgan Fox would be Catwoman I didn't. THough I have always thought the ridler just wants to prove to you that he is smarter than you are and to take your money not necessarly kill you

Avatar image for batarrowlantern
    batarrowlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By batarrowlantern

What did you think of GL #45

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Babs: Did you label parts of the comic?
    Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravn
    @batarrowlantern said:

" of the 3 it is not my fav. Oh and did you really think MEgan Fox would be Catwoman I didn't. THough I have always thought the ridler just wants to prove to you that he is smarter than you are and to take your money not necessarly kill you "

@batarrowlantern said:

" What did you think of GL #45 "

The Megan Fox thing, and the conversations it sparked yesterday was quite funny, but I didn't believe it for a second! Haha 

I really liked GL #45, but I kinda felt Johns tried to do TOO MUCH in one issue. I loved the fight between Sinestro and Carrol Ferris, but I would have liked to see more of what was going on with Lira and more of Larfleeze...
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I agree the cover is very Bond movie.

Edward Nigma has to be the best villain's real name ever in comics. Normally, I hate horrible pun names for villains, but this one is at least clever. Edward Nigma, E. Nigma.

The next Batman movie is probably going to do Catwoman, but I really hope the Riddler will be a good villain. I kept hearing rumors that Johnny Depp was going to play the Riddler. Though, I haven't found anything to back that up.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9  Edited By No_Name_
    @War Killer said:
    " @Babs: Did you label parts of the comic? "
    I just use post its when I take notes
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Babs said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " @Babs: Did you label parts of the comic? "
    I just use post its when I take notes "
    Oh, cool
    The Black Hood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Black Hood

The vibe I'm kind of getting from the comic, and the direction I HOPE its going will be to make Gothem City Sirens a superpowered version of Charlie's Angels.  At the end of battle for the cowl they kind of indicated that Riddler was working with Harley and Poison Ivy.  The first two issues of Sirens kind of went away from by showing Ivy using her abilities to manipulate and control Riddler.  I'm hoping this issue focused on Riddler to bring him back into the fold and make his the male "Charlie" part of the group.  I would love to see a book about these former hardcore "Bat" villians trying to do some good; or atleast trying not to do so much bad.  One of my favorite books continues to be Secret Six so for some reason reformed villains always seem to be a niche I enjoy.

Anyone else think there's a chance I'm right about the Charlie's Angels thing?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By NightFang3

Pulling an allnighter Babs, I feel you're pain. I like the art and I think Riddler should have his own mini-series.    

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Media_Master

Loving that cover and the well written dialog!! 

This makes me want a Gotham City Sirens movie animated or live-action made!

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

If this issue wasn't so good I'd be made the Sirens were barely in it.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I've fallen behind on this series sad to say.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By FoxxFireArt

You'll have to excuse me. I'm a lover of riddles, word games, and puzzles. Here is a challenge if you have the time.

Riddle Me This
    Riddle Me This

Riddle me this Comicvine:
    If 1 equals 2, 2 equals 5, 3 equals 5, and 4 equals 4. What does 7 equal?

Keep your eyes on the clock, and see how long it takes you to figure this one out.
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I enjoyed the first two issues but was not totally enthralled.
    I told myself that this was their last chance to wow me and they did it!
    I have to continue this series just because of this issue.

Avatar image for chocolate_lantern
    Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

good review! I'm going to have to check this issue out
    Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Obsurity

I loved the art work! When this series began I wasn't too sure about it but I've enjoyed each issue.  I wish I was getting this issue sooner...
    Blossom Top

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blossom Top

Picking this up tomorrow, by far one of the books that keep me coming back.  I don't know why but it's purely a good read in my opinion

Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pheeke

wow that cover is so beautiful

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bruce Vain

I love the cover artwork of Gotham City Sirens. That's one of the main reasons why I've been buying this series.
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By EisforExtinction

I'm more of fan of the Riddler when he's a kid in a candy store with riddles. He seems like such a douche in this comic. The Batman: Run, Riddler, Run version of Riddler is my favorite of the character. He really likes making up puzzles for Batman to solve. I wouldn't says he's necessarily evil, just misguided. This Riddler is just kind of a jerk.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Having not read the Battle for the Cowl or any Hush or any of the Batman for some time I had to ask Arrow to explain a lot of this one too me!! XD But I was blown away and I have to say I am madly in love with March, the man is a freaking genius.. his art is perfect for Batman he captures the essence of the girls and also Batman just how I would have pictured. This series is one of the best i have read in some time, i am totally hooked and it has to be my favourite in a long time.  

The Riddler has never been a character I knew much about and as I stated I had to really get Arrow to explain a lot to me about what was going on why was the Riddler good etc lol. Thank god for my man being up to date on everything. I agree with you on the art and the Riddler Babs, Scott did a great job, my only issue would have been that it did not follow the flow of the other issues, I wanted more on the girls, I get that they had to take it sideways to explain some of what is going on and also to build the story but i wanted more of my girls!!  

i agree def 4/5  

great review babs, agree totally

Kashimu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kashimu

I read issue #1 and 2 but wasn't thrilled with them and decided not to pick it up. But, your review seems to have made me change course again.

tara_la_reine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tara_la_reine
    @The Black Hood:
    I can see where you're going w/ the whole 'Charlie's Angels' thing- or 'Eddie's Angels', in this case- and I think it'd be cute, but I have one real problem with it. Why in the heck would they take all of the Gotham supervillainesses and turn them into...what, anti-heroines? (Okay, Sugar's still around and I like her, but she's not exactly a butt kicker.) We have so few bad girls w/ real personality in comics, and these ladies are among the best. It makes some sense in terms of Catwoman, since she has been primarily a thief in a love/hate relationship w/ Batman. But Harley and Ivy? Harley, the adorable, amoral murderess in love w/ *the Joker*? Ivy, the misanthropic plant woman who takes eco-terrorism to a whole new level? Why can't they stay bad, when they do such a good job?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.