The son of Burdock, a low-class Saiyan warrior; and Gi-ne, Kakarot was born on Planet Vegeta in or around Age 737. Sensing the impeding danger to the Saiyan race from Frieza, Kakarot's parents secretly sent him off planet to Earth when he was only three years old.
On Earth he was taken in by the elderly Son Gohan, who named him Son Goku. Initially a difficult and violent child, Goku suffered head trauma in an accident and became more friendly and amenable after recovering. Gohan instructed him in martial arts, and became aware of the transformations that Goku underwent when he was exposed to the full moon. He instructed the boy never to look at the moon, but Goku disobeyed and transformed into a Great Ape. While in this transformed state, he accidentally murdered Gohan. After the death of his adoptive grandfather, Goku essentially raised himself alone in the mountains.
Goku was created by Akira Toriyama . He is loosely based on the character Sun Wukong from Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en.
Major Story Arcs
Now eleven or twelve, Goku encounters a new person for the first time in his life, a woman named Bulma. He joins her on her quest for the seven Dragon Balls, and the pair go through a number of adventures, gathering new companions and acquaintances as they go, including Master Roshi, who instructs him further in martial arts and teaches him many of his important moves. They manage to gather six of the seven Dragon Balls, but lose them when they are taken captive. Goku helps his friends escape captivity by becoming a Great Ape, which leads to speculation on whether or not he is human. Goku decides to leave his friends for a time and returns to Master Roshi for training. During this time he meets Krillin, another student with whom he becomes friends. Goku participates in the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament, and performs well, though he loses in the final round after transforming into a Great Ape and back, depleting his energy. After the tournament, Goku goes to see the world, having many adventures as he searches for the Dragon Ball that had been left to him by his grandfather. During this quest he has continual conflicts with the mysterious Red Ribbon Army and various agents sent by them to kill him. Goku eventually defeats the army single-handedly, and acquires six Dragon Balls. He attempts to uncover the final Dragon Ball's location with the help of a fortuneteller named Baba, who tells him its location after he and his friends battle five of her warriors. He acquires the Ball after a fight with the current possessor, and uses the Balls to summon the dragon Shenron, using his wish to bring a friend back to life. He continues to train, and eventually participates in the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament. He loses in the finals to Tien Shinhan.
Goku's friend Krillin is murdered by one of King Piccolo's sons, Tambourine. Attempting to avenge his friend, he is defeated by Tambourine, because he was still weak from his fight with Tien, but a fully recovered goku kills him easily in a later confrontation. He is then confronted by King Piccolo himself, who almost kills Goku, After recovering from his defeat, he seeks out the Ultra Divine Water, which could unlock his powers or kill him. Surviving the Water, he travels to the castle of King Furry, where he kills another of Piccolo's sons and challenges the King himself to a fight. The pair have a drawn-out and bitter fight that leaves both horribly wounded. Ultimately, Goku manages to kill Piccolo by punching through his chest. With his dying breath Piccolo spits out an egg that contains his reincarnation, Piccolo Jr. Unaware of this, Goku begins to search for a possible way to revive the dragon Shenron. This leads him to the Guardian of Earth, Kami, and ultimately to the resurrection of all the friends who had been killed by Piccolo. Goku then begins training with Kami and Mr Popo in order to prepare for the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. Despite suffering extreme injuries, Goku defeats Piccolo in the final round, becoming the winner of the tournament. Goku and Chi-chi, a young woman he had met while travelling, get married.
Now living with his wife and young son, Gohan, Goku's life is interrupted by the arrival of Raditz, his long-lost brother. Raditz informs him of his Saiyan heritage, as well as telling him that he was meant to take over the Earth. Refusing to carry out this mission, Goku is attacked by Raditz, who kidnaps Gohan and instructs him to kill a hundred humans or have his son murdered. Goku joins forces with Piccolo, and together with the help of Gohan they defeat Raditz, though Goku also dies. Traveling through the Other World, Goku begins training for the imminent arrival of more Saiyans. His friends wish him back to life, but it takes him sometime to arrive, and by the time he does many of his friends have been killed by the Saiyans, Vegeta and Nappa. Goku easily defeats Nappa, and manages to defeat Vegeta after a protracted battle. He chooses to spare the injured Vegeta's life after the battle.
Severely injured, Goku spends some time in hospital before being completely healed by a Senzu Bean. Goku then travels to the planet Namek where his friends are searching for the Namekian Dragon Balls. There, he engages in battles with members of the Ginyu Force, the elite fighters of the villainous Frieza. He manages to defeat many of them, but is seriously wounded after a quarrel with their leader due to a special attack which enabled the user to exchange bodies with victims. He retreats to be healed, and in the meantime Frieza arrives and attacks Goku's friends. He returns to find the battle turning against his friends. Enraged by the death of Krillin, Goku transforms into his Super Saiyan form, which turns the tide of the battle in his favor. Ultimately, he defeats Frieza. He leaves the planet in a Ginyu Force ship, which takes him to the planet Yardrat. His friends back on Earth believe him to be dead, but later learn he is alive when they attempt to resurrect him. He declines to return to Earth and remains on Yardrat for some time more, learning the skill of Instant Transmission while there.
Returning to Earth after two years, Goku encounters Trunks, the son of Bulma and Vegeta from the future. The boy warns him about future events, and provides him with a cure for a virus he will contract in the near future. He and his friends spend three years training for the arrival of two androids, Android 19 and Android 20. When they arrive Goku is unable to fight at full strength due to the sudden onset of the virus he was warned of. He is taken from the battlefield to be cured of the virus. He is hunted by the artificial beings android 18 , 17 and the newly awakened 16 of whom were created to destroy Goku. At this time a new villain rises, named Cell . Cell absorbs both 17 and 18. At this time Goku's heart virus is also cured. Goku, Gohan, Vegeta and Trunks travel to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to undergo intense training; there, Gohan is revealed to be potentially more powerful than Goku. They emerge from the chamber and Goku begins preparing to battle Cell, as well as getting a new Guardian of Earth, Dende, to create new Dragon Balls so that he can set right what Cell has put wrong. At the Cell Games, Goku battles Cell at full strength, but finds himself unable to defeat his opponent. He cedes the match, trusting Gohan to defeat Cell. Gohan does so, and Cell attempts to self-destruct and destroy the planet as revenge. Goku steps in and uses Instant Transmission to transport both of them to King Kai's planet , resulting in both his and Cell's deaths as well as King Kai's. Cell manages to resurrect himself, and Goku, trapped in the Other World, encourages Gohan to fight him. After Cell is finally completely destroyed, Goku insists he be allowed to remain dead, since he believes that all the troubles on Earth were caused due to him .
He returns to Earth for a brief period seven years later to participate in the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament. There, he meets his youngest son, Goten, and becomes embroiled in defeating the evil wizard Babidi, who orchestrates the theft of Gohan's Super Saiyan energy. They attack Babidi's ship, and Babidi possesses Vegeta, then sets Vegeta and Goku to fighting one another. The pair fight for some time before Goku attempts to halt the fight so that they can team up to defeat Babidi's monster, Majin Buu. He is knocked unconscious by Vegeta, who then abandons him. He seeks healing from Dende and teleports all his friends to himself, teaching Trunks and Goten how to perform the Fusion Dance, which will combine them into a far more powerful being. Goku then fights Majin Buu, using his powerful Super Saiyan 3 form. He easily holds his own against the monster, but does not defeat it. The strain of maintaining the form forces him to return to the Other World. There, he observes the fight between Majin Buu and the newly-created Gotenks via a crystal globe. Gotenks performs well, but is ultimately unable to defeat the monster and is absorbed into it, as is Gohan. Goku is returned to Earth by the sacrifice of a friend. He and Vegeta fuse to become Vegito, easily defeating the monster. Vegito allows itself to be absorbed into the monster to rescue its friends and family. After a brief battle, it succeeds and Vegeta and Goku return to their normal bodies. Majin Buu is forced to transform back into its original form, Kid Buu. Kid Buu destroys the planet, briefly killing most inhabitants, though they are soon restored. Goku fights Kid Buu, and gathers energy from most sentient beings around him (using the Genki Dama Technique) to destroy Kid Buu.
Powers and Abilities
As a Saiyan, Goku possesses all the powers inherent to his race. He is super-humanly strong and durable, and possesses enhanced speed and reflexes. He can undergo Saiyan transformations, more powerful forms of his body, and has been known to take every possible advanced Saiyan form. He can generate energy blasts from an inner energy called ki, notably in the form of the Kamehameha Wave. He can teleport anywhere he wants instantly via Instant Transmission. He is capable of unaided flight, and was capable of aided flight through the use of a small flying cloud called the Flying Nimbus. He is capable of transforming into a Great Ape when he is looking at the moon and possesses his tail.
- Afterimage Technique - A typical distraction technique where through a short burst of speed Goku is able to leave an afterimage of his body behind which often causes the opponent to attack. Goku as a child in the 21st World Martial Arts tournament could leave 3 images behind, but by the time of the cell games Goku can leave an innumerable number of afterimages behind.
- Continuous Kamehameha - Goku's version of the Continuous Energy Volley where Goku fires many small blasts of energy in rapid succession in order to cause great damage. The technique has the downside of leaving a large smokescreen from the explosions so if the attack fails it often gives the enemy a sneak attack.
- Crazy Fist - A technique Goku came up with on the fly to counter Jackie Chun's Drunken Fist technique. Goku hopes around like a monkey giving him an air of unpredictability and uses his tail more.
- Destructo Disk - A technique taken from Krillin where Goku forms a flat energy disk that can cut through most objects and enemies. Due to the lethal nature of the attack Goku only uses it when absolutely necessary, like cutting off Gohan's tail when he transformed.
- Dragon Fist - One of Goku's ultimate techniques and the only one he created himself. Goku charges his fist with a golden ki dragon that resembeles Shenron and punches the opponent resulting in the dragon either devouring or impaling the opponent. This move is easily Goku's most powerful move besides the spirit bomb as he was able to blast a hole in Omega Shenron's chest who was more powerful than a Super Saiyan 4 Goku.
- Dragonthrow - Goku's trademark grapple where he grabs a leg, tail, tentacle, or other extremity and spins them around and hammer throws them typically into a mountain.
- Flight - Goku is able to manipulate his ki to self propel himself for flight. Goku can either levitate lightly or full on fly at high speed.
- Fusion Dance - Goku learned the technique fro its creators the Metamorans while in the Other World. Goku can perform the dance with Vegeta in order to merge their bodies to form Gogeta. The techniques downside is that it only lasts for half an hour.
- Hasshu-Ken - A technique copied and improved from King Chappa where Goku moves his arms so fast it appears he has eight arms for combat. This was used to counter Tien's Four Witches technique.
- Homing Energy Wave - Goku can fire an energy wave that tracks and homes in on his opponent by locking onto their energy signature.
- Instant Transmission - A technique that Goku learned from the Yardrats after his battle with Frieza. Goku typically places two fingers on his forehead and senses a ki signature and the instantly teleports to that location. The technique requires a lot of concentration so Goku can be interrupted or stopped by pressing the attack.
- Janken Fist - Goku's original signature technique that was taught to him by his Grandpa Gohan. Gokku calls out the name of the attack and delivers either a punch (rock), slap (paper), or eye poke (scissors).
- Kiai - An invisble energy wave that is often used to defeat and demoralize weaker opponents or cancel out attacks without using too much energy. Goku used this to defeat Chi-Chi and to cancel out Nappa's Break Cannon.
- Kaio-ken (Pronounced"KAI-o-ken") - One of Goku's signature techniques that was taught to him by King Kai. King Kai has said that Goku is the sole student to master the attack so Goku is probably the sole user besides King Kai himself. The technique multiples Goku's ki power by 2X or more depending on how much Goku's body can take. Goku by the time of his battle with Frieza could multiple his ki by 20 times. The technique strains Goku's body so he must use it sparingly. This technique was superseded by the Super Saiyan transformation which put out more power, but put less strain on his body.
- Kamehameha - Goku's most used technique and the staple move of the Turtle School invented by Master Roshi. Goku copied this move after watching Roshi perform it once and continued to use it for the rest of his life. The Kamehameha is a blue energy wave fired from cupped hands after pronouncing the name of the attack. Goku can perform many variations of the move like shooting it one handed, firing it from his feet, bending the kamehameha, and others.
- Mimicry - Goku has a knack for for mimicking ki attacks after he has seen them performed. Goku learns the Kamehameha, Destructo Disk, Hasshu-Ken, and Solar Flare this way.
- Solar Flare - A technique copied from Tien Shinhan where Goku places his hands around his face and releases a blinding flash of light used to blind opponents for either a quick getaway or as an opening for an attack.
- Spirit Bomb - Goku's most powerful move outright where Goku gathers energy from the area around him to form a positive energy ball that is highly effective against beings of evil. Goku can expand his horizon and take energy from surrounding planets even taking a galaxy wide drain to defeat Kid Buu and a universe drain for Omega Shenron. The technique takes a very long time to complete so Goku typically needs someone like Piccolo or Vegeta to run interference
- Super Kaio-ken - A last resort move where Goku uses the Kaio-Ken along with the Super Saiyan transformation for a very powerful combination. This move is very taxing on Goku's body as one punch was enough to cause Goku to run out of breath. Goku used this technique once against Pikkon during the Other World Tournament.
- Telekinesis - Goku is able to use ki to move objects with his mind, he demonstrated this by manipulating a glass of water until Chi-Chi interrupted him.
- Telepathy - Goku is able to read minds by placing his palm on the head of the intended target or broadcast his thoughts to others.
- Tornado - A move Goku came up with during his battle with Nam in the Semi-Finals of the World Martial Arts tournament. Goku spins around rapidly and moves around the ring hitting his opponent though the move will make him very dizzy.
- Twin Kamehameha - A variation of the Kamehameha where Goku charges twin energy spheres that he can launch one at a time. The first time Goku used this was to test if Frieza only used his eyes instead of sensing energy.
Super Saiyan: Goku's first Super Saiyan transformation. Goku achieved this form on Planet Namek during his final battle against the galactic tyrant, Frieza. Frieza killed Goku's best friend, Krillin, causing Goku to fall into a fit a rage and gain the legendary degree of power Frieza has so greatly feared. While in this form, Goku's eyes are colored green, hair stands on end and becomes golden in color. He also possesses a golden flame-like aura.
In this form, Goku's stats are increased 50x than his base form , allowing Goku to overpower and eventually defeat Frieza. However,his personality is affected while in this form as his good-hearted personality is now replaced with ruthlessness, anger, and rage. It is succeeded by many other Super Saiyan transformations.
Super Saiyan 2: Goku's second Super Saiyain transformation. Much like the previous tansformation, Goku's hair stand and is colored gold. However the hair style in more rigid. His aura takes on more fierce flame-like appearance along with crackling blue energy sparks.
Although it is unknown when Goku achieved this form, it was first seen his fight against the monster, Yakon. In this form, Goku's power is increased 2x times the power given by Super Saiyan, multiplying his energy 100 fold, allowing him to hold his own against Vegeta. While Goku is not as aggressive in this form as he is in Super Saiyan 1, his power drains more quickly.
Super Saiyan 3: Goku's third Super Saiyan transformation. Goku gained this form when he went through vigorous in Other world. The appearance is much different from the other two. The rigid hair style becomes smooth and flowing, sometimes growing down passed the waist and Goku's eye brow are gone. His aura remains the same as Super Saiyan 2, expect with more blue energy sparks. This is the strongest form in the Dragon Ball Z manga and anime. In this form, Goku's Ki energy is increased four times the strength of Super Saiyan 2, multiplying his power 400x its normal power. This form was enough to stand against Majin Buu in his first and kid form. However much like Super Saiyan 2, his power drops rapidly, allowing to stay in the form only a few minutes.
Super Saiyan God: Goku's fourth Super Saiyan transformation in the movie "Dragon Balll Z: Battle of Gods". This transformation was revealed by the Oracle Fish when he explain to The God of Destruction, Bills, that a Super Saiyan God would appear before him.
Goku's overall appearance in this form of this form is unchanged. However, his hair and eyes are now a crimson color and he possesses an explosive flaming aura.
The only way for Goku to achieve this form is to harness the power of six pure-hearted Saiyans. The power of this form in even enough to excite Bills. In this form, Goku is able to match the God of Destruction blow for blow, but powers down more quickly than his other transformations due its godly degree of power.
Super Saiyan 4: Goku's fourth Super Saiyan in the anime "Dragon Ball GT" Goku gained access to this form during his battle with Baby Vegeta. In this form, Goku's appearance is a mixture of a humanoid Saiyan and the Great Ape transformation, with crimson color fur, tail, and shadow trim around the eyes.
Goku's power is increased 10x beyond the limit of Super Saiyan 3, giving his power a drastic increase of 4000 times normals. Unlike the other three transformations, this form does not have a time limit and his body is able to handle to the 4000x increase without powering time and the form can be accessed at any given time. However, Goku becomes more violent and instinct prone while in this form, being unable to listen to reason and tends to have trouble on controlling his own power.
Goku appears as the protagonist in numerous anime adaptations of the original manga in both Japanese and English. Notable appearances are Dragonball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Doctor Slump, and Dragon Ball Z: Abridged. He is voiced by such actors as Masako Nozawa, Kirby Morrow, Sean Schemmel and Lawrence Simpson.
Goku appears as the protagonist in numerous live-action and animated film adaptations of the manga and anime. He has also appeared in a number of made-for-television and direct-to-video movies. He is portrayed by such actors as Masako Nozawa, Justin Chatwin and Lawrence Simpson.
Goku appears as a playable character in over eighty Dragon Ball-related video games.