Follow

Godzilla

Character » Godzilla appears in 419 issues.

The king of the monsters. He is mankind's greatest ally and enemy. Quite possibly the most unpredictable force on the face of the planet.

Oxygen Destroyer...effective or not?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer

Now before actually doing some digging into it, I was thinking like most that the only weapon that ever killed Godzilla was the Oxygen Destroyer. However upon further digging into it, I find that doesn't seem to be the case and it never really killed Godzilla....but here lets take a look at who designed such a weapon. 

The Oxygen Destroyer was created by Dr. Daisuke Serizawa, making the weapon of mass destruction which releases a chemical(dubbed Micro-Oxygen) which reacts violently to water, isolating the molecules and splitting them apart. Now obviously yes the Dr used it, thus killing himself and supposedly Godzilla so the weapon would never be found out about, and used in an arms race....but lets focus back on the main focus of the thread. 

Now in the 1984 Godzilla, one of the characters reports that "Thirty years ago, they never found a body." Now looking at fiction and its rules, how do we know that this statement is accurate? Unless the guy actually witnessed the event, he could be mistaken.  Now then your gonna say, that we saw Godzilla disintegrate however it must be noted that the death was taken from the POV of Dr. Daisuke Serizawa who was suffering from oxygen deprivation and the effects of the weapon itself...so for all we know, Godzilla disintegrating could have been all in the Doctor's mind and we just see it, now this isn't to say Godzilla was injured just isn't destroyed if we take that the Dr was just having a hallucination.

Now moving on here, to Destroyah which this monster was one of Godzilla's most powerful foes and he was pretty much a walking monster Oxygen Destroyer. Ok so here is where this starts to add up, Destroyah used his Oxygen Ray on Godzilla which didn't harm him to the point that it was actually killing him. Now you could say the reason for this, was because he was fighting Godzilla at his most powerful form however Destroyah was a match for Godzilla even in said form so why wouldn't his Oxygen Ray be just as powerful? More to this, the Oxygen Destroyer couldn't have been effective because...Godzilla had a son in which after the events of Godzilla vs Destroyah he clearly dies and passes on all of his power to his son thus making Godzilla Jr. into the new King of all Monsters(so pretty much Godzilla is still Godzilla just in a different body if you look at it in a way.) 

So all signs seem to point that the Oxygen Destroyer, wasn't as effective as some people think given the doctor could have been hallucinating due to lack of oxygen and from the effects of the weapon itself which seems logical thinking on it. But anyway thats what I have gathered, after doing some digging around so if anyone else has anything to add then feel free.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheCowman

I'm pretty sure that they mention in a couple of the movies that there were two Godzillas.

The first one, from the original movie, WAS killed with the Oxygen Destroyer. Now, whether or not the other one could be killed by it, I couldn't say. I'm not sure how the first Godzilla compares to the main one in terms of power.

In the newer "Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla"; MechaGodzilla is actually built around the bones of the original Godzilla that was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @TheCowman said:

I'm pretty sure that they mention in a couple of the movies that there were two Godzillas.

The first one, from the original movie, WAS killed with the Oxygen Destroyer. Now, whether or not the other one could be killed by it, I couldn't say. I'm not sure how the first Godzilla compares to the main one in terms of power.

In the newer "Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla"; MechaGodzilla is actually built around the bones of the original Godzilla that was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer.

I'm going strictly from the Heisei series here, the Millennium series with all their movies seem to always use the first Godzilla movie as a starting point for some reason. The Heisei series actually just picks up where the 1st movie left...so really, it actually makes sense that Dr. Daisuke was hallucinating the death and thus it sets up for Return of Godzilla. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.