inferiorego's Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters #1 review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters 1

It's Godzilla for a new age! The giant green beast is reintroduced into this world by was of a reboot. Godzilla shows up in Tokyo and the Japanese try what they can to stop him!

The Good

It's the reintroduction to Godzilla! What's not to love? The creative team of Eric Powell and Tracy Marsh on writing, Phil Hester on pencils, Bruce McCorkindale on inks, and Ronda Pattison on colors a great combination of talent, and that being said, this book is a light and fun read, but it's the perfect jumping on point for anyone interested in Gojira.

As you may have guessed, Godzilla runs around in this issue smashing things because it's what he does best. There's a great scene at the end where it cuts to President Obama making fun of people who unjustifiably call him ridiculous things. Political humor abound! Aside from that, it really is just about the Japanese government trying to stop the monster. Godzilla is the main character, and his actions speak so much louder than words. The action is great, and I'm loving the art on this book.

The Bad

It's a bit creepy to see this book after what happened in Japan, and especially the final page where the president decides he's going to help the Japanese people. Art coincidentally is imitating life. Aside from that, it felt like the book was a bit short. I blew through it in minutes, but maybe it was because I was so excited for it.

Godzilla fans finally have a comic they can be proud of! This entertaining piece is a great start to a new series. It's the perfect jump-on point for anyone. You can literally know nothing about Godzilla and have no trouble following along with this book since it's the equivalent to the Ultimate series. I highly recommend this book.

One Last Thought

I know most people reading this realize that this book was most likely already printed before the tragedy in Japan a few weeks ago. At one point, the kids in the book think there is an earthquake. I have a sneaking suspicion that people will take offense to this, and no one really should. Instead of getting up-in-arms that a comic that was completed before the natural disasters in Japan, take a look at what this book really is. It's a celebration of a beloved Japanese character that is loved all across the world. Our hearts and thoughts go out to all of those around the world affected by the earthquake and tsunami.
Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir

I saw a preview of this and really got interested for this. Glad to know it's good.

Posted by Jake Fury

These covers kick major ass. I might pick this up.
Posted by NightFang

I wish the best for the people of Japan.

Posted by FireFlare153

I really need to pick one of these up!
Posted by Eyz

This is finally out? Awesome!

As for the tragedy in Japan..well.. Such a tragedy, my best wishes goes to them...Bad timing for the king of Monsters.
On a sidenote: He's always been an allegory and closely related to traumatic events in Japan.

Great review! Pickin' my interest, I'll gladly try to get my hands on this one!