King of the Gods

• 122 results
#1 Posted by venomyak (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a question I find quite interesting, but have been unable to come up with an answer for. If Zeus were to croak or disappear who in the greek pantheon would become ruler of the Gods?

#2 Posted by Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye (10167 posts) - - Show Bio

Hades.

#3 Posted by venomyak (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

@CozyDaPrynce: Why do you think Hades?

#4 Posted by YoungJustice (6887 posts) - - Show Bio

Greek? Roman? (Even though technically same thing). Egyptian?

#5 Posted by Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye (10167 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomyak: I don't wanna go into detail. I'll just say I'm speaking from a metaphysical standpoint.

#6 Posted by YoungJustice (6887 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna assume Greek for now. I'd say Hades also. Seems that he would be the best leader.

#7 Posted by JediXMan (31219 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

I'm gonna assume Greek for now. I'd say Hades also. Seems that he would be the best leader.

Pretty obvious he meant Greek... he said Zeus.

#8 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the one fallacy about these gods. Its just a title. They can die.

If we were taking about the Roman gods, and if Jupiter died, the next largest planet would be Saturn and he would be King...

#9 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

In Greek Mythology Apollo is destined to overthrow his father, but the mythology never went on to explain that story. I would assume war would rage if Zeus died thus they would probably all destroy themselves.

#10 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

In Greek Mythology Apollo is destined to overthrow his father, but the mythology never went on to explain that story.

KNOWLEDGE BOMB!

#11 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

@Blood1991 said:

In Greek Mythology Apollo is destined to overthrow his father, but the mythology never went on to explain that story.

KNOWLEDGE BOMB!

I have mad Greek Mythology knowledge :p

#12 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@Strafe Prower said:

@Blood1991 said:

KNOWLEDGE BOMB!

I loved the couple of things I have read on it! Any recommendations on reading material?

#13 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Strafe Prower said:

@Blood1991 said:

KNOWLEDGE BOMB!

I loved the couple of things I have read on it! Any recommendations on reading material?

There are so many different translations and versions of stories :/ hmmm I would get a more general book.

I started with a book like this "it was an earlier version"

http://www.amazon.com/Library-Mythology-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199536325/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349329961&sr=1-14&keywords=greek+mythology

I also took a Greek Mythology course last year so that really helped in understanding some of the more complex stories. My favorites are; The Birth of Apollo, Hermaphrodite "this explains ALOT, the Odyssey "for obvious reasons", Pallas Athena, and I love Hephaestus's origin.

#14 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Thanks! I'll get this soon!

#15 Posted by venomyak (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

So since according to Blood1991 Apollo is destined to rule, do you think he is the best choice to rule or is there someone who would do a better job?

#16 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower: You welcome ^_^

#17 Posted by venomyak (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion: The Gods in greek mythology can't be killed, but they can be destroyed. Basically you can cut them into tiny pieces and throw away the chunks but they remain living just without a body, like Lord Voldemort.

#18 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomyak said:

@TheSecondOpinion: The Gods in greek mythology can't be killed, but they can be destroyed. Basically you can cut them into tiny pieces and throw away the chunks but they remain living just without a body, like Lord Voldemort.

Umm... no, you can't. Unless you got that from Percy Jackson.

I assume Poseidon, Hades, Athena (yes, I know she's female, but her unborn brother was destined to overthrow Zeus, sometimes Athena is coined for this in some myths), and Apollo are all possibilities.

Actually, Hades is the least likely out of the above. He isn't even considered an Olympian (generally, sometimes he is). And he has the task of preventing the Titans (not all of them, but those who were banished to Tartarus) from escaping. Of course, as Tartarus is the a Primordial being, they wouldn't be able to escape anyways.

@venomyak said:

So since according to Blood1991 Apollo is destined to rule, do you think he is the best choice to rule or is there someone who would do a better job?

Athena, but this is "King of the Gods", so possibly not.

I agree, Apollo might do very well. Poseidon probably gets waay too angry. Hades has no relevance here, truthfully.

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be "list all the King of the Gods" and I was ready to make an enormous list consisting of multiple mythologies. LOL.

#19 Posted by venomyak (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova: Are you disagreeing with me on the point that they continue living without a body or that you can cut them up into little peices. The former is differnet depending on the version of the myth whilst the later is true in almost all versions.

#20 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomyak: Some gods never had a true "body". You don't cut gods into "pieces". That was Percy Jackson garbage. The Titans were banished to Tartarus, Ouranos was castrated. Neither was "sliced into a thousand pieces", as the first Percy Jackson novel said.

Actually, in some myths, some beings were "sliced into pieces", but in majority, or the four major mythologies, no.

Also, Voldemort wasn't cut into many pieces. His soul was spread into multiple objects, called Horcruxes.

#21 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously, it would be . His status message says it all.

#22 Edited by TheThe (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

Hadès or Poseidon. I'm more inclined to give the title to Poseidon, because he was the elder of the three brothers.

#23 Posted by venomyak (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova: Ouranos was cut into many pieces and thrown into the sea, of course the part of him that was "castrated" has significance because Aphrodite came from it. I was just using Voldemort as an example of a creature existing without a body, since he is a more well known example.

#24 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomyak: In some myths, he was cut into seven pieces and thrown into the seven seas. In some myths he was castrated, then he ejected himself away from Gaia. Aphrodite's emergence from the castrated part is only in Hesiod's version, also, the spilled blood and semen fertilized beings (especially giants) such as the Gigantes.

@TheThe said:

Hadès or Poseidon. I'm more inclined to give the title to Poseidon, because he was the elder of the three brothers.

Hades was the eldest of the three brothers.

#25 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomyak said:

@ShootingNova: Ouranos was cut into many pieces and thrown into the sea, of course the part of him that was "castrated" has significance because Aphrodite came from it. I was just using Voldemort as an example of a creature existing without a body, since he is a more well known example.

Sauron is most likely more well-known, and way cooler <3

#26 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@venomyak: In some myths, he was cut into seven pieces and thrown into the seven seas. In some myths he was castrated, then he ejected himself away from Gaia. Aphrodite's emergence from the castrated part is only in Hesiod's version, also, the spilled blood and semen fertilized beings (especially giants) such as the Gigantes.

@TheThe said:

This is true Zeus is the youngest and freed them from their father who ate them "Mythology is weird remember that". Hades would never get the support from the other gods. I see this becoming a Civil War between Apollo and Poseidon. The elder gods would side with Poseidon the younger with Apollo.

#27 Posted by venomyak (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: You fool you'll start a war between Potter fans and Tolkien fans. WE ARE ALL DDDOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDDD!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#28 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomyak said:

@minigunman123: You fool you'll start a war between Potter fans and Tolkien fans. WE ARE ALL DDDOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDDD!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Posted by TheThe (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@ShootingNova said:

@TheThe said:

This is true Zeus is the youngest and freed them from their father who ate them "Mythology is weird remember that". Hades would never get the support from the other gods. I see this becoming a Civil War between Apollo and Poseidon. The elder gods would side with Poseidon the younger with Apollo.

Really ? For so many years i thought the order was Poseidon first, then Hadès and finally Zeus. I should have checked the facts before sending my post. As for the story behind the reign of Zeus, that i know. But i dont think Appollo is that much of a threat for Poseidon's coronation.

#30 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe: Apollo will have quite a bit of support. His twin Artemis, Athena, Hermes, and Dionysus from the get go. Poseidon will have Hera at his side, but the other gods and goddesses will be more divided. Hephaestus will probably side against his mother, Ares will probably stand with Poseidon and Aphrodite as well. Those are the big ones.

#31 Edited by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Greek mythology is my fourth/fifth specialty in mythology. I have superior specialty in Egyptian, Taoist, Chinese and Norse mythologies.

@Blood1991 said:

@TheThe: Apollo will have quite a bit of support. His twin Artemis, Athena, Hermes, and Dionysus from the get go. Poseidon will have Hera at his side, but the other gods and goddesses will be more divided. Hephaestus will probably side against his mother, Ares will probably stand with Poseidon and Aphrodite as well. Those are the big ones.

I'm not sure about Dionysus. But Gaia and Themis would probably lean towards Apollo more, since all three are oracle gods. Then again, Poseidon was one also.

#32 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe: LOL. It was Hades, then Poseidon then Zeus. In every myth.

#33 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova: Greek is the only one I specialize in lol, but I want to learn more about Norse and Egyptian. That is true though, but I see Gaia staying out of it for the majority. Themis is a go either way. Demeter will probably side with her brother which is bad news for Apollo. She has defied Zeus and Hades and had to be talked down in the story of Persephone "or at least in the version I read".

#34 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: LOL. Greek is the most "classical", Egyptian is more about creation and just...... explaining how things are, why they are, why they were created, and why things happen. Basically, Norse is just warrior stories and adventures (well, the Vikings were warrios, so whadd'ya expect?), and it does have some of the weakest, most "mortal" gods.

Gaia is a Primordial, so she most likely would stay out. Themis might go with Poseidon since they are both sea-deities. Demeter will be with Poseidon, definitely. Eros would side with Poseidon, Pontus would as well (although he is a Primordial god) and possibly Oceanus would side with Poseidon, if it was a must-war. Otherwise he would remain neutral. I see Hekate and Theia supporting Apollo, Rhea/Rheia could be either Poseidon or Apollo, truth be told. Probably Poseidon, since he's her son.

#35 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Poseidon or Apollo.

#36 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@Blood1991: LOL. Greek is the most "classical", Egyptian is more about creation and just...... explaining how things are, why they are, why they were created, and why things happen. Basically, Norse is just warrior stories and adventures (well, the Vikings were warrios, so whadd'ya expect?), and it does have some of the weakest, most "mortal" gods.

Gaia is a Primordial, so she most likely would stay out. Themis might go with Poseidon since they are both sea-deities. Demeter will be with Poseidon, definitely. Eros would side with Poseidon, Pontus would as well (although he is a Primordial god) and possibly Oceanus would side with Poseidon, if it was a must-war. Otherwise he would remain neutral. I see Hekate and Theia supporting Apollo, Rhea/Rheia could be either Poseidon or Apollo, truth be told. Probably Poseidon, since he's her son.

Fascinating and I agree those seem like the most likely scenarios.

#37 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Yep.

#38 Posted by kingkronos (2501 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomyak:

@ShootingNova said:

@venomyak: Some gods never had a true "body". You don't cut gods into "pieces". That was Percy Jackson garbage. The Titans were banished to Tartarus, Ouranos was castrated. Neither was "sliced into a thousand pieces", as the first Percy Jackson novel said.

This. And it is possible for a god to get sliced and not die, but not to the Titans. They were very durable, basically any one of them can just lift the sky and earth easily.

They can be injured, even permanently sometimes, but never die. And besides, it's their divine soul that endures.

Anyway, to answer your question, without Zeus, the Titans would get freed and would stomp the Olympian gods. That's the unfortunate truth, because Zeus was the one to inherit their power, such as the time steads, the heavens, etc.... So without Zeus, there is really no Olympians, and they will be the ones rotting in Tartarus for eternity.

Zeus>>Poseidon>Hades>Athena

#39 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingkronos: In some myths, Ouranos was cut into seven pieces and they were thrown into the seven seas, once piece per sea. Of course, Ouranos wasn't destroyed from that, since the sky/heaven is still out there.

#40 Edited by kingkronos (2501 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@kingkronos: In some myths, Ouranos was cut into seven pieces and they were thrown into the seven seas, once piece per sea. Of course, Ouranos wasn't destroyed from that, since the sky/heaven is still out there.

Ouranos himself, or his.... you know?

#41 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingkronos: What about Ouranos and his you-know-what? He was still sliced up (the testicles being the prominent part) and was thrown away. He didn't die, obviously, but he did get sliced up.

#42 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are threads like these made? Can the Ancient Greeks even prove any of their gods exist?

#43 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingkronos: I do have a question, All Arguments aside. Since you go by feats and powers of each religious god, since Zeus ( Mythology ) has eaten a Universe. Is their any gods that you know of who are more powerful than all Mythology Zeuses?

#44 Posted by kingkronos (2501 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATORXX said:

Why are threads like these made? Can the Ancient Greeks even prove any of their gods exist?

If you have nothing to say other than this. You should leave.

@TERMINATORXX said:

@kingkronos: I do have a question, All Arguments aside. Since you go by feats and powers of each religious god, since Zeus ( Mythology ) has eaten a Universe. Is their any gods that you know of who are more powerful than all Mythology Zeuses?

LOL, how am I supposed to explain to someone who doesn't actually understand religion? I told you the concept behind "eating" the universe. And it's actually infinite universes, and I have proof unlike you. But unfortunately you lack in knowledge of religion. Zeus not only "ate" his universe, he merged with it, he destroyed all the universe, recreated it, and then MERGED with it. ? Becoming the very universe, the gods, the mountains, the buildings, etc....

And yes, there are many deities above Orphic Zeus. Brahman who is not even a god, is much above his level. The Spiritual world inhabitants in Hinduism also are above him. Beings like Krishna, Srimati Radharani, Narayana, Maha Sankarshana, Balarama, also are above him. Maha Vishnu could possibly challenge him. Aten the Egyptian transcendent all powerful god should stalemate him. So yeah, like you see, I at least can admit that my favorite character would lose to some, unlike you who is stubborn and close minded.

#45 Posted by kingkronos (2501 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@kingkronos: What about Ouranos and his you-know-what? He was still sliced up (the testicles being the prominent part) and was thrown away. He didn't die, obviously, but he did get sliced up.

But it wasn't his body only his testicles, right?

#46 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingkronos said:

If you have nothing to say other than this. You should leave.

I can say whatever i'd like and I will post if I chose and theirs nothing you can do about it.

LOL, how am I supposed to explain to someone who doesn't actually understand religion? I told you the concept behind "eating" the universe. And it's actually infinite universes, and I have proof unlike you. But unfortunately you lack in knowledge of religion. Zeus not only "ate" his universe, he merged with it, he destroyed all the universe, recreated it, and then MERGED with it. ? Becoming the very universe, the gods, the mountains, the buildings, etc....

I understand religion more than you do. Im actually the straight A Student at religion than you are and you clearly admitted yourself you know nothing about the bible cause you'r not interested in it. I just asked you a simple question based on what your small brain goes by. No You have no proof Zeus Swallowed the Universe. Where is Zeus? Show me proof in real life right now that he did it? You can't and guess what? Lucifer with a soft poke flicked and broke 20 trillion universes all in one and inhaled it all back together with one breath. Thats why Zeus is a god spelled with a lowercase g and Jesus Christ God was spelled with an upercase " G " and because the real God has an upercase G in his name. that is proof hes the bigger, greater God just cause his name in caps is bigger.

And yes, there are many deities above Orphic Zeus. Brahman who is not even a god, is much above his level. The Spiritual world inhabitants in Hinduism also are above him. Beings like Krishna, Srimati Radharani, Narayana, Maha Sankarshana, Balarama, also are above him. Maha Vishnu could possibly challenge him. Aten the Egyptian transcendent all powerful god should stalemate him. So yeah, like you see, I at least can admit that my favorite character would lose to some, unlike you who is stubborn and close minded.

Ok thank you for your info. Whose your favorite character? are you saying Zeus is your favorite character? lol...........ok Im not stubborn at all. I asked you nicely and you just replied to me rudely with rude remarks.

#47 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7736 posts) - - Show Bio

Either Apollo, Athena, Hercules or Poseidon. Hades is way too dark, and concerned with the Underworld to rule.,

#48 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4005 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously though Athena

#49 Posted by ShootingNova (18650 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

Either Apollo, Athena, Hercules or Poseidon. Hades is way too dark, and concerned with the Underworld to rule.,

Heracles isn't even remotely going to rule Olympus.

@kingkronos: In some myths, his entire body was cut up into seven pieces, once piece was thrown into each of the seven seas.

#50 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomyak said:

This is a question I find quite interesting, but have been unable to come up with an answer for. If Zeus were to croak or disappear who in the greek pantheon would become ruler of the Gods?

Chronos

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.