God in comics

#1 Posted by bgibs13390 (820 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok now that there is the new Chaos War storyline we are getting to see all the different Pantheons being represented. Almost all religions are shown there. What I want to know is why Marvel does not show Jesus or the Christian God. Is Marvel worried about offending people? Would that not work in a comic universe? Its just something I have been wondering. What do you guys think? 

#2 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

people would be upset if Jesus was deafeated in a comic they would think it was an insult to there religion. but since no one really worships Thor or Hercules anymore if one of them is defeated by a god fromm another pantheon or a regular being less people get offended marvel had to retcon one of there stories where Thor defeated shiva the destroyer because hindu readers were offended
#3 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12506 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer:
this, plus theres the fact that no one truly knows what god looks like. an interpretation of him did show up in FF a couple of yaers back when the thing was brought back to life
#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12506 posts) - - Show Bio
@bgibs13390:
i still feel appalled at what Spawn comics did to god
#5 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

A. Marvel is scared of Backlash, and so is DC don't hold your breath.
B. It has been done in a few other places by smaller companies.
C.The " Aquarian" Always reminded me of J.C.
D. It would not sell in U.S./Christian markets and would cause an uproar. lol.

Erik Larsen goes where others fear to tread.
Any and all Religious Pantheons are fair game and public domain.  Whether they are still worshiped or not relates directly to the amount of backlash you could expect from re-presenting them.
#6 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

Its one of those things that they would rather just save themselves the hassle and leave God and Jesus out.

#7 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34405 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
" @bgibs13390: i still feel appalled at what Spawn comics did to god "
While I see where you're coming from, the way I see it, God never really appeared in Spawn at all, just two characters remotely similar to Him (the one called "God" that didn't even create the universe and was rather childish, and the Man of Miracles). 
It would still be nice if Marvel would have acknowledged the existence of the Judeo-Christian God somewhere (if respectfully done, obviously).
#8 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

The   Judeo-Christian God has appeared in Marvel comics as a member of the Council of Godheads. He did seem to be a minor deity compared to the others.

#9 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34405 posts) - - Show Bio
@fesak: Any specific issue where that happened?
#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

God's appearance in Preacher is downright insulting.

#11 Posted by Valtot (4502 posts) - - Show Bio

god in DC is sorta potrayed better

#12 Edited by Valtot (4502 posts) - - Show Bio

hes sorta portrayed better in dc

#13 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Marvel's "God" the One Above All?

#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: Yes, Image is Man of Miracles and in DC is the Presence.
#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" Isn't Marvel's "God" the One Above All? "
Yep.
#16 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @Emperor Gonzo Noir: Yes, Image is Man of Miracles and in DC is the Presence. "
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" Isn't Marvel's "God" the One Above All? "
Yep. "
That's what I thought
#17 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: I always seen MOM, TOAA and PResence as the same being.
#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Never read any Spawn, but I agree on the Presence/TOAA thing.
#19 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

He has appeared in Spawn and some other titles in other companies but don't expect to see him in Marvel or DC anytime soon.

#20 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: :) Its like I always considered the Lucifer from Vertigo/DC as the real Devil in comics.
#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Yep, I agree :)
#22 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: You know why?
#23 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

the Juedo Christian God was the god in sailor moon but he played a unattached role...he was mentioned here and there we see his pictures here and there but he lets the universe do it own thing   i guess 

#24 Posted by Celunon (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, no offense, but we're, like, not really talking about Sailor Moon, whatever that may be...it is interesting, though, to see Christianity as part of a Japanese manga.  

The Judeo-Christian God is, I think, essentially the One-Above-All, the entity above all orders and levels of gods, cosmic beings, abstract concepts, and celestial beings in the Marvel Multiverse. And the One-Above-All is indeed a true confirmed canon character, if the Marvel Handbook files can be at all trusted:  
http://img543.imageshack.us/f/tribunalj.jpg/       
http://img151.imageshack.us/f/eternitys.jpg/     

In certain rare instances, the Christian God's power has been made truly manifest, such as Sorcerer Supreme Dr. Strange himself invoking Jehovah's power through prayer to destroy Dracula:  
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5971/crossdrac.jpg     

The Judeo-Christian God rarely directly intervenes in the affairs of mankind - and that's what I think is most interesting. On the order of an Earth deity (such as attending Council of Godheads), yet also on the order of abstract cosmic entities (over the Living Tribunal), and yet on the order of mortality, as a Man - through Jesus Christ. All three are God; and no other character could claim the same.
#25 Posted by Kairan1979 (16711 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's not forget the portrayal of God in Battle Pope.

#26 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

quite simply, if they show only one type of god (whether God or just a god) the universe would have to center around 1 type of god

if you have many (norse, greek, alien etc) you have more choices and can do what you want

it's not a personal thing, people just dont want to get offensive, and want variety

#27 Posted by Despair (2200 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to forget that contrar to Hinduism, Greek religion and most other poltheistic religions Christianity/Islam/Judaism have the prohibition of picturing god. It would not only be an offence, it would also be a break of fundamental religious taboos that Marvel doesn't want to deal with I think.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32657 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike the fact the Christian god is shown to be above all other gods in comic books

#29 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

im a christian my self and i dont think a comic would work what would the stories be about is just sounds cheesy to me

#30 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer secularism in reality (being an atheist who dabbles in the occult for sh*ts and giggles), but deities can make for very interesting stories in fiction. The "gods" in Marvel don't really count, as the vast majority of them are just hyper-advanced aliens. I'm thinking more along the lines of Sandman, Lucifer, Hellblazer, and Preacher.

Anything Vertigo really.

What a ☠☠☠☠.
#31 Posted by deadpool25mm (576 posts) - - Show Bio

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:

Isn't Marvel's "God" the One Above All?

Well its not Marvels God , thats God ,The One Above All. I mean Marvel took it from what people belive in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.