Is Gladiator a parody of Superman?

#1 Posted by Alladin Sane (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I was watching the x-men cartoon recently and I realized that gladiator has many of super-mans powers such as super strength, "heat vision", the ability to blow really hard, and flight. I always thought superman was way to powerful, his powers make much more sense for the leader of Marvel's imperial guard, then just some alien who gains powers due to earth's atmosphere somehow gradually giving him one power at a time.

#2 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

Gladiator is a homage to Superboy or Mon'El (depending on who you ask), as the Shi'ar Imperial Guard is a homage to the Legion of Super-Heroes.

#3 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Very true and Nightcrawler was suppost to be on the Legion. Wouldn't that have been weird having Nightcrawler on the Legion and the X-Men without him.

#4 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightcrawler (Marvel comics) was supposed to join the Legion of Super-Heroes (DC comics)??

#5 Posted by Superkitty (1086 posts) - - Show Bio

Satyrquaze says:

"Nightcrawler (Marvel comics) was supposed to join the Legion of Super-Heroes (DC comics)??"

Foreign exchange program. X-Men will get Beast Boy.

#6 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Superkitty says:

"Satyrquaze says:
"Nightcrawler (Marvel comics) was supposed to join the Legion of Super-Heroes (DC comics)??"
Foreign exchange program. X-Men will get Beast Boy. "

Of course... and Starfox will get Powergirl...

#7 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Satyrquaze says:

Yep the person who created his Nightcrawler(don't know his name) was working on Legion of Superheroes when he started making the character. But then he moved over to the X-Men before he introduce him in Legion and he did it for X-Men instead.
#8 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

From Wikipeida:

"Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner) is a fictional comic book superhero, and a member of the X-Men, appearing in books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer Len Wein and artist Dave Cockrum, he first appeared in Giant-Size X-Men #1 (May 1975). Dave Cockrum designed Nightcrawler to be used in DC Comics' Legion of Super-Heroes series. Cockrum was working on the series just before he went to Marvel, and Nightcrawler's costume design (and overall unusual look) fit well into the Legion's design scheme."

#9 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio

Hyperion is a superman duplicate, as the Squadron Supreme is a duplicate of the JLA.

If I remeber correctly, marvel got in to some hotwater with DC over the Imperial Guard and the Squadron.

#10 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

I learn something new everyday. Thanks!

#11 Posted by Magda (2003 posts) - - Show Bio

The_Creator says:

"Hyperion is a superman duplicate, as the Squadron Supreme is a duplicate of the JLA. If I remeber correctly, marvel got in to some hotwater with DC over the Imperial Guard and the Squadron."

yeah

#12 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Satyrquaze says:

"I learn something new everyday. Thanks!"
No problem. I just try to imagine the X-Men without Nighty and the Leigon with him. That would be weird.
#13 Posted by -000 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Has DC ever parodied Marvel in anyway?

#14 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator is my second favorite homage/parody/rip-off of Supes.

#15 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, luckily the relationships between the companies have gotten better over the years.

#16 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

-000 says:

"Has DC ever parodied Marvel in anyway?"
Yes Aquaman is there biggest one I can think of. The Fantastic Four has a whole I believe has been.
#17 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

-000 says:

"Has DC ever parodied Marvel in anyway?"

Recently in issues of Superman/Batman they indroduced several groups/characters based on the Avengers, Deadpool (who was supposedly an alternate Deathstroke), Spiderman, Hulk... among others...

#18 Posted by HellionVulcan (3621 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator isn't a parody but a homage to superman but Glads i find to be way better IMo as im a huge fan .. .

#19 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

has anyone noticed the name?  Kallark?  KAL-el + cLARK Kent? coincidince? me thinks not

#20 Posted by Kurrent (14061 posts) - - Show Bio
Alladin Sane said:
"

the ability to blow really hard,

"
WORST POWER EVER....for a dude....lol j/k
#21 Edited by PowerHerc (81458 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator is a hommage to, pastiche, archetype, version of, inspiration of and/or rip-off of Mon-El who is a Superboy/Superman rip-off.

I like him anyway, though.  He's one of my top 10 favorite Marvel heroes. 

#22 Posted by Crazy_Wilhelm (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2_0 said:

has anyone noticed the name? Kallark? KAL-el + cLARK Kent? coincidince? me thinks not

This. His name is Kallark and he's from a planet named for an element (the element Strontium,) much like Krypton. It's pretty straightforward.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.