meteorite's Giant-Size X-Men #1 - Deadly Genesis review

Good story, not-so-good art

Wow, it's Giant Sized X-Men #1. When I read this the first time, I enjoyed it every bit as much as I still do today. I found the plot exciting, the new characters (especially that legend Nightcrawler) creative, but there's one thing about this issue I don't like: the artwork. Sure, Dave Cockrum is really notable in doing the art for this legendary issue, but that doesn't mean his art is that good.

Apart from the art, this is a really good issue. The thing that makes me enjoy it so much is the action. Even in the scenes without any real action, such as Prof X talking to Sunfire, you can still get the sense that they need to hurry before the X-Men are killed. It has the return of some old characters like Banshee and Sunfire, and some legendary new ones. This is the kind of issue that only comes out once every three or so years. It's brilliant.

But the best thing about it is the fact that they're all fighting a giant island. Didn't see that coming.

Other reviews for Giant-Size X-Men #1 - Deadly Genesis

Rated: Neither Over nor Under 0

This is a very good comic, but it is neither underrated nor overrated. It deserves the tempered acclaim it has received over the years, surely, but we probably remember this issue best for what it started, not its own intrinsic merit, and that is just fine. The premise of Krakoa is a bit thin, especially because of the odd mysterious narrator telling us things we don't of necessity need to know, and the resolution to the main problem is almost laughably magical (one wonders if Mr. Thomas was not...

Historic importance mixed with solid writing 0

I've been a big X-Men fan since I was a kid, having been totally in love with the animated series. In going back and finally reading the old comic books, although I love Beast, I had trouble getting really into the early stuff. Compounding the fact that the other four members of the original team have never been among my favorites, the dialogue was always really rough. I am definitely a modernist when it comes to comic books; I feel less is more in terms of dialogue for the most part.  "Giant Si...