Follow

G.I. Joe

Team » G.I. Joe appears in 1182 issues.

G.I. Joe is America's elite fighting force. They are the best trained counter-terrorist team. The only defense against the villainous terrorist organization, Cobra.

What is the difference between the 4 current G.I. Joe titles?

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I know there is G.I. Joe, G.I. Joe cobra, G.I. Joe infestation, and G.I. Joe A Real American hero but what is the difference between each one and which one is the best currently?

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jamesewelch

Here's what I know.

G.I. Joe is the main title from IDW. They relaunched it years ago and this fits into the new continunity.

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero - this re-launched last year. It's the original continunity from Marvel's 80/90s series, written by Larry Hama (orginal writer and the guy that wrote most of the cards on the back of the figures back in the 80s). Think of this as G.I. Joe: "Forever", it continues where the last issue in 1994 ended. If you read GI Joe in the 80s, then this is the GI Joes that you're familiar with. The newer title took a few liberties and changed a bit of things around.

G.I. Joe Infestation is a zombie related mini-series. There's also Transformers and such Infestation. I think that it's just a short mini/limited series, I think it also with cross overs into other titles from IDW.

I'm unfamiliar with G.I. Joe Cobra.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By danhimself

G.I.Joe and G.I. Joe Cobra are set in the same universe....G.I. Joe is the main series while Cobra focuses on a character named Chuckles and his infiltration of Cobra....G.I. Joe A Real American Hero is a continuation of the Marvel Volume from the 80's now being published by IDW.....Infestation is an IDW crossover where events in the Zombies vs. Robots universe cause an outbreak of zombies in the G.I. Joe, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, and Transformers universes.....it's only 2 issues

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    @jamesewelch: 

Thanks that cleared it up for me.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    @danhimself: 

Which one is the best? I heard a Real American Hero was good, not sure bout the rest though.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Awww.....I thought the title of this thread was "What is the difference between the 4 current G.I. Joe tities".....

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By danhimself
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " @danhimself:   Which one is the best? I heard a Real American Hero was good, not sure bout the rest though. "
    I read them all except for Cobra....I don't really know if I could choose....the problem with RAH is that there's the previous Marvel volume of continuity...where as the IDW relaunch book is free of continuity and can do whatever they want
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By jamesewelch
    @danhimself said:

" @CrimsonAvenger said:

" @danhimself:   Which one is the best? I heard a Real American Hero was good, not sure bout the rest though. "

I read them all except for Cobra....I don't really know if I could choose....the problem with RAH is that there's the previous Marvel volume of continuity...where as the IDW relaunch book is free of continuity and can do whatever they want "

The RAH is real easy to jump into. You don't really need to know much. Here's an outline of what you need to know, if you're looking to pick up RAH:
    • Cobra infiltrated the US and began supplementing security forces as a contractor
    • Cobra funded and provided support for some radical groups that attacked US monuments and cities, thus the US called on Cobra to help
    • Cobra then began to take over most of the security measures for the US and put GI Joe on the terrorist list
    • GI Joe then regrouped and General Hawk, Duke, Snake Eyes, Mainframe, Scarlet, etc. attacked Cobra and exposed them
    • Recently, Snake Eyes was captured and was brainwashed by the Brainwave Scanner, so he's "dark snake eyes" at the moment
    • There's a virus in the BWS that is the deceased Dr Viper's ego that has infected Billy (Cobra Commander's son) into thinking that he's Dr Viper
    • Cobra has been using the BWS on Destro, Baroness, Stormshadow, and Billy to keep them loyal to him, but it's wearing off on a few of them.
    • Stormshadow (who was under control of the BW scanner) is now not under control and escaped Cobra to tell Joes that Snake-Eyes has been brainwashed. Stormshadow in this series was always a bit of good guy who infiltrated Cobra to find out who killed his sensei but was then brainwashed, etc. In fact, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Stalker were BFFs in Vietnam back story.

So RAH is the continuation of the "Classic GI Joe" comics.

Personally for me, I like the RAH, but I kind of grew up on Hama's Joes in the 80s so it's more sentimental for me and I met Larry Hama last year at SDCC 2010 :) All of the GI Joe toys from the 80s and characters/outfits are in this series. The new series looks more modern and uses more modern hardware, weapons, uniforms and such (I think).
    g33ky monk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By g33ky monk3y

Cobra is actually better than the main Joe series. It also feels more realistic; there is less sci-fi junk floating around. It deals with Chuckles infiltrating Cobra, so it’s more intrigue than anything else. I’m psyched about the Cobra Civil War coming in April, not so enthusiastic that Chris Gage left Cobra (he went exclusive with Marvel). IDW restructured the Joe comics, closing out G.I. Joe: Origins and starting up Snake-Eyes. Mike Costa has some cool things planned for Cobra though. It sounds like the intrigue/espionage angle will be toned down and the action amps up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.