'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' Pushed Back to March 2013 to Add 3D

• 84 results
Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a piece of ridiculous news. G.I. Joe: Retaliation was set to open on June 29. Despite the lackluster results of the first theatrical attempt, this movie appeared to have potential. With a cast that included Dwayne Johnson, Bruce Willis, Channing Tatum, Ray Stevonson and Adrianne Palicki among others, the set up for the story looked to give us a darker tale that could actually give the movie the edge needed to make up for the first. But now all the momentum that's been built will be thrown to side.

Deadline Hollywood has reported that the movie will no longer open in June but will now have a March 2013 release date. The reason wasn't the usual delay issues like needing to reshoot scenes or rework the script. Paramount has decided they want nine months to work on adding 3D to the film.

I like 3D as much as the next person. Maybe even more. But I don't feel it's necessary for the success of this movie. Retaliation looked to be a pure action thriller that could do well without what many still see as a gimmick. Yes 3D will add to ticket sales but there are those that will avoid seeing a movie in 3D if it means paying more. Joe fans want a good movie. We don't need the 3D. I'm sure it'll look good but I'd rather have the movie next month instead of nine months.

It will be interesting to see how this affects the expectations. We've already seen a prequel comic from IDW. There's also the cost of marketing including the Superbowl ad which are now pretty much a waste. It's a sad day today. COBRA just moved one step closer to winning the battle.

== TEASER ==
*Insert annoying cackle here*

Here's a little of what we could have had next month.

Does anyone besides me feel like there's more to this story than just a desire to add 3D?

#1 Posted by Master_Thief (786 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF 3D SUCKS... come on guys the movie isn't going to be that good anyways!!!

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio

They likely backed out due to Battleships poor performance, movie studios do weird things like that all the time

#3 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

That sucks. I was looking forward to this, probably more than the Avengers.

Bet IDW isn't too happy either. They were making a big push with their Joe backlist this spring and summer.

#4 Posted by Trinitytiger (11 posts) - - Show Bio

That's sucky, but maybe now they'll have more time to advertise? Ya know, spread the word about the movie a little more. If it wasn't for comicvine and CBR I would have barely heard anything about the sequel at all. Hell I didn't even know it was due to be released next month.

#5 Posted by kennybaese (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

"I like 3D as much as the next person..." This means you really really hate it right? Because almost everyone I know really really hates it. I feel like this is more them trying to get the movie out of the way of movies that are going to be especially successful this summer. My guess is that Battleship getting completely crushed by Avengers after it had already been out by a couple weeks scared them off.

Either way, I was (I can't believe I'm say this) really looking forward to this movie and it bums me out that it's getting delayed to add 3D when I'm going to go out of my way to see it in 2D.

#6 Posted by regrivett (50 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if other "summer" movies are going to be pushed back in light of Avengers and their success.

#7 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (531 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually didn't know there was going to be a new GI Joe until I saw the trailer for it when I went to go watch The Avengers....yesterday. o.O

Either the marketing was awful or I was just not paying any attention to anything.

But as a result, im not all that torn up about the delay....considering I didn't care for the first one at all anyway.

#8 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15127 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAT THE F

#9 Posted by NXH (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF

#11 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2215 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to see this in theaters for my birthday, now it turns out that I'm not going to see it at all.

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha.

#13 Posted by Warren X (31 posts) - - Show Bio

well this is just F@#KING fantastic, my summer was looking good first Avengers then Amazing Spiderman then Dark Knight Rises then finally an actually looking very epic G.I Joe movie

#14 Edited by k4tzm4n (34911 posts) - - Show Bio

Now you know, and 3D is half the battle!

Sucks for anyone waiting for it, but I'd say it's a smart move. They'll get more cash with the 3D and this delay will give them a better chance to promote more and (hopefully) let people know it's totally different than Rise of the Cobra. Not sure what's coming out around the new date, but perhaps it was re-scheduled in an attempt to have it release when there's less competition when it comes to popcorn action.

Staff
#15 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1361 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha.

Is right.

#16 Posted by Inverno (13284 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Sucks for anyone waiting for it, but I'd say it's a smart move. They'll get more cash with the 3D and this delay will give them a better chance to promote more and (hopefully) let people know it's totally different than Rise of the Cobra. Not sure what's coming out around the new date, but perhaps it was re-scheduled in an attempt to have it release when there's less competition when it comes to popcorn action.

They did the same thing to Clash of the Titans they push their release three months later to covert it to 3D and guess what? The 3D sucked so hard everything was dark and blurry. I am more concerned with the right now with visual quality than the movie's release.

#17 Posted by Inverno (13284 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

My biggest concern right now is the 3D quality. Back at 2010, when they made Clash of the Titans they pushed the release 3 months later to add 3D. The problem is that the movie wasn't filmed in 3D and the the movie ended up being really dark and blurry to watch. I was surprised this movie wasn't being filmed in 3D in the first place and only right now they decide to convert? BS man.

#18 Posted by inferiorego (28275 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate 3d and I hate that this is delayed

Staff
#19 Posted by Mumbles (843 posts) - - Show Bio

it's going to suck now or later. really doesn't matter

#20 Posted by dcfox (164 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThanosIsMad: Even more bad news, your birthday also got pushed back to 2013 to add 3D.

I don't believe for a second this delay has anything to do with 3D. I think the theory that they were scared off by the failure of Battleship is the most likely culprit.

#21 Posted by k4tzm4n (34911 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

@k4tzm4n said:

My biggest concern right now is the 3D quality. Back at 2010, when they made Clash of the Titans they pushed the release 3 months later to add 3D. The problem is that the movie wasn't filmed in 3D and the the movie ended up being really dark and blurry to watch. I was surprised this movie wasn't being filmed in 3D in the first place and only right now they decide to convert? BS man.

I'm just concerned that you went to see Clash of the Titans :D

@inferiorego said:

I hate 3d and I hate that this is delayed

Yeah, it actually looks like it has the potential to be a pretty fun movie. They're definitely taking it more seriously than the first effort.

Staff
#22 Posted by NightFang (10259 posts) - - Show Bio

This is straight bull crap.

#23 Posted by Master_Thief (786 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mumbles said:

it's going to suck now or later. really doesn't matter

agreed

#24 Posted by SixX6SevN (7 posts) - - Show Bio

their is no way its pushed back just because of 3D. they dont wanna sink like battleship did amongst the summer giants avengers, spiderman, and batman.

#25 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

That is the 100% truth and only truth!

#26 Posted by shrmntnk62 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

That is astronomically stupid.

#27 Posted by TheHeat (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't really looking forward to this movie, but this move to push the date just they can convert the movie to 3D is pretty dumb.

#28 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

If test audiences are coming back with strong positives, it could be that Paramount suddenly finds itself with a really good film that would only get lost between Spidey and Batman.  3D will put a cherry-on-top when it comes to those opening weekend ticket sales.  But March?  Who skips work to see a 3D film in March?

#29 Posted by Z3RO180 (6709 posts) - - Show Bio

i was looking forward to this cause i liked the last one but dlaying a movie almost a whole year to add 3D is such a dumb move £D is nuthing more than a gimmec that has never worked

#30 Posted by yo_yo_fun (639 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw man that sucks! This looks like a pretty good movie (I guess I'm the only one who liked the 1st one).

I'm sure 3D is not the only reason why they decided to push back the date, The Avengers has been overshadowing a lot lately...

#31 Posted by pikahyper (12697 posts) - - Show Bio

Horrible idea, Retaliation was getting a lot of hype and attention and I think people were really looking forward to it :( and I'll jump on the bandwagon, 3D sucks, I hate how everything is about 3D now, pure BS.

#32 Posted by joshmightbe (24702 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want to know how quick the Hasbro lawsuit will pop up considering they're likely to lose tons of money due to the fact that they already have all the merchandise on store shelves with no movie to sell them.

#33 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

This is so dumb. They've been advertising this movie for months as coming out this summer. It even had a Super Bowl commercial saying so. Not everyone likes 3D and I doubt many of those who planned to see this cared if it was 3D. I was looking forward to this now I don't think I'll bother. It a "Summer Blockbuster" by every definition. Why push back to a winter release?

#34 Posted by BritishMonkey (331 posts) - - Show Bio

well that's the dumbest thing i've seen today

#35 Posted by joshmightbe (24702 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure dedicated movie pirates are high fiveing each other right now over this considering they'll be making cash off this movie long before the studio even releases it

#36 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

I just want to know how quick the Hasbro lawsuit will pop up considering they're likely to lose tons of money due to the fact that they already have all the merchandise on store shelves with no movie to sell them.

Doesn't Hasbro co-produce it, they are in the movie making game now....certainly the reason why Battleship was made
#37 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

I was looking forward to this, now I'm thinking of boycotting it because Paramount don't have the balls to go up against Batman and Spiderman.

#38 Posted by webofthornns (672 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is they really didn't want the summer spot between Avengers and Dark Knight...March won't have that much competition for ticket sales

#39 Posted by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

HA HA

#40 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

I am pretty stoked for this, but A FUCKING YEAR? The 3D is going to suck anyway. Man this pissed me off.

#41 Posted by joshmightbe (24702 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Hasbro licensed it to Paramount but Paramount has contractual obligations to them and since they didn't inform Hasbro of this delay before time they issued all the merchandise for the movie so unless the movie is a smash hit and people go looking for the toys they're going to lose millions, not to mention all the investors who paid for the Super Bowl Spot and all the advertising thats been done up to this point whose money they just wasted

#42 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@cattlebattle: Hasbro licensed it to Paramount but Paramount has contractual obligations to them and since they didn't inform Hasbro of this delay before time they issued all the merchandise for the movie so unless the movie is a smash hit and people go looking for the toys they're going to lose millions, not to mention all the investors who paid for the Super Bowl Spot and all the advertising thats been done up to this point whose money they just wasted

You would figure Hasbro would be clued in...
#43 Edited by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

This is ridiculous. This movie was never going to set any box office records, and 3D won't change that. Now they've just wasted all the money they've spent marketing this movie for the June release.

The truth is this summer is a meat grinder for any action film that can't live up to Avengers/Spiderman/TDKR levels of quality, and GI Joe was afraid of being Battleshipped, period; the "3D conversion" is just an excuse. If competition was the studio's concern, that haven't solved anything by postponing the release; instead of getting crushed by competition, it will be crushed by the added cost of conversion and the wasted marketing expense that has been spent so far. What a clusterf*ck.

#44 Posted by joshmightbe (24702 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: If they were I'm sure they wouldn't have gone out full steam with the merchandise

#45 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@cattlebattle: If they were I'm sure they wouldn't have gone out full steam with the merchandise

If it was a last minute decision they would have..I am not saying anything for sure, I would just think that a decision like this would be made by all the major players involved in the project...studios, producers etc.
#46 Posted by joshmightbe (24702 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Most of the articles I've read about it so far are heavily implying that Paramount did this without any consent or even informing the investors or Hasbro. And pretty much of them agree that this is going to hurt Hasbro

#47 Posted by KRYPTON (1868 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you kidding me? I was looking forward to this movie in June, now what comic book film will I watch in June before THe Dark Knight Rises comes out and Spider-Man? There is no fill in the gap for the month of JUNE?!!

#48 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Oh, well if its stated they did it without compliance, they are screwed. Hasbro is probably still hurting from Battleship flopping....proverbial salt on the wound
#49 Posted by joshmightbe (24702 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: from what I've read it doesn't seem like Hasbro got any say at all here. This could be just a rumor but if not Paramount is gonna get burried in legal fees

#50 Posted by Bestostero (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAAATTTTTTTTTTT WHY!?!?!?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.