Follow

G.I. Joe

Team » G.I. Joe appears in 1182 issues.

G.I. Joe is America's elite fighting force. They are the best trained counter-terrorist team. The only defense against the villainous terrorist organization, Cobra.

A Side Of "A"

acomicbookgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By acomicbookgirl

Sometimes it can be pretty hard to find a girl that is really into comic books, so when we met AComicBookGirl we were very excited. Not only does she have an affinity for comics and all things pop culture, but she is an awesome chick all around! We invited her to write on Comic Vine because we though she was neat; hopefully you'll like her too!

Two Sides of Me: Reviews of "GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra" and "Julie & Julia"

First, I wanted to say hello to everyone.

No Caption Provided
    For my first post on Comic Vine, I wanted to make it on the personable side. Include some tidbits about me. For example, I have a thing for comics, movies, and food. These things came together in some form or another this past weekend.

Movies and comics came together with GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra. As a child, GI JOE wasn’t exactly my favorite cartoon. The only thing I liked about it was seeing Scarlett or Lady Jaye. Hearing that there was a movie coming out intrigued me.

I avoided people’s opinions like the plague. Fans have a habit or exaggerating things for their own good.  This looks bad. That’s just awful. I can go on. I just waited until I saw a trailer with a date on it (it’s how I believe that a movie is actually exists).

No Caption Provided
    So I decided to watch it on the day of release. No Lady Jaye but at least there was Scarlett played by Rachel Nichols. I liked Scarlett kicking ass. When she wasn’t kicking ass, not so much. Same thing goes for Sienna Miller playing the Baroness/ Duke’s ex-fiancée Ana. Channing Tatum was just delicious as Duke. I hope after this movie, Marlon Wayans will stop cross-dressing. Now, if there was only more Dennis Quaid in this movie..

I enjoyed seeing the flashback moments of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fighting each other. Cobra’s mask on the other hand not so much. If you are looking for mindless fun and can get past the odd quirks, give GI JOE: The Rise of Cobra a chance.

Now, for my other love, cooking. Julie & Julia came out this past weekend as well. I have a love for food. I love trying new things. I have a thing for buying stuff for my kitchen to where I run out of space. Just like I buy trades and have no space on the bookshelf for them (oh like you don’t). I usually have comics or trades in my bag so I can read them when I’m on break, at lunch or if I just need to kill time.

No Caption Provided
    This movie is based on Julie Powell’s book Julie & Julia as well as My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme. This movie is about two women who are at loose ends within themselves during different time periods and find their passion and fearlessness.  As a child, I used to watch re-runs of Julia Child on PBS. Whether it is a conservative nun in Doubt, a heartless editor in The Devil Wears Prada, Meryl Streep does an impeccable job in whatever role she takes. She was perfect as Julia Child.
    Amy Adams reminded me that short hair is a good thing. Her portrayal of Julie Powell was adorable with the exception of the meltdown moments. Also, loved Stanley Tucci in this movie. If you love food or Julia Child or just want a good movie, please watch Julie & Julia. You’ll thank me for it.

That’s all for this week. Have a good week!
    Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

Nice reveiws welcome to the vine

FIRST POST!

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2  Edited By The_Martian

A new staff member?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3  Edited By No_Name_
    @Nobody said:
    " A new staff member? "
    Nope, she just wants to contribute for us! I thought that was nice of her :)
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4  Edited By The_Martian

Oh, well welcome to the Vine.

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LastSon1027
    @Babs: Is the Comicvine staff going to let people start contributing to the site? Cause that would be sweet! I absolutely love Comicvine and would be honored to be a part of it in any way. I mean of course articles and reviews would have to screened but it would be a great way to get some of the Viners more involved other than the wikis, I mean I wouldn't want to see superfluous crap on here but if an article is quality and it is obvious the Viner has put a lot of effort into contributing to the community then Hell Yeah I would love that. P.S. I could write a mean Smallville Review for the season opener if it were so desired. ;)
    Lord's Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lord's Angel

Well done. Love newbs who aren't noobs!

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By warlock360

what is the prologue for? D: 

it makes it sound like the account is being held by another person or something ;D

nice Review(s)

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#8  Edited By HaloKing343

I loved GI Joe. It was awsome and great fun. 

But l have no intentions to see that cooking movie.

Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Drafta

I actually want to see Julie and Julia more than ROC....

Welcome to the vine!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10  Edited By No_Name_
    @Voidheart: Because I wanted to give her an introduction.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NightFang3
    @TheSavageAssasin said:
    "Nice reveiws welcome to the vine    FIRST POST! "
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @Babs said:
    " @Voidheart: Because I wanted to give her an introduction. "
    You ever get the feeling that people aren't actually reading some of the things on the page?  It's pretty clear why there is an prologue. If you read everything.

I thought it is a nice mix up. Pretty good first article. There are a few small mistakes here or there, but I'm hardly one to speak. lol
    I like how she explains the premise,  runs down source material, and then gives her own thoughts. What I really like to see is how she italicizes proper titles. Looks like we might of had the same English teacher. Though she missed a few there at the end.
    All in all I think it's a good read and I certainly look forward to reading her opinion.
    Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arjuna

"it’s how I believe that a movie is actually exists." 

SIC

The Traveler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The Traveler

Some of the buzz on GI Joe got me on the bandwagon to not go see it, but I'm glad that I didn't let that completely persuade me. I did end up enjoying the movie, and I would go see it again, actually. The Julie and Julia movie wasn't on my radar to go see.

I might be reaching here, but I submit that having two sides to your personality, AComicBookGirl, can enhance your experience with comic books. For example, you might like the writing because it's short and concise sentences all wrapped together into a neat package. The artwork is also telling the story, but it's not necessarily neat, but instead sloppy at times, and maybe a little bit more expressive in parts than the writing. So when you put the two together, like the two parts of your personality, you have something that works.

So anyway, I've been reading Comic Vine for about a couple of weeks, and actually signed up today to comment and whatnot. Good luck in your endeavors.

Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed GI Joe...but my opinion might be considered biased since i never kept up on the cartoons or comics

bigmoneyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bigmoneyb

i liked g.i joe but channing tatum is a awful actor lol like it was painful watchin him  play duke

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheBug

Great reviews. Props for representing both sides of your interests, it makes you seem sincere. Its nice to see that the Vine is getting some more much needed estrogen. :)
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Welcome to the Vine, great review.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jefprice

Nicely laid out. Welcome to CV, look forward to more!

Avatar image for jeangreyemmafrost
    jeangreyemmafrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

g.i. joe great

i mean im a girl but i never liked julie and julia 
    i love joe better

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Media_Master

solid reviews

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By grimreaper1980

those movies have nothing in common, wtf

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.