Follow

Ghostbusters

Team » Ghostbusters appears in 470 issues.

Group of paranormal experts who turned into ghost hunters for hire after losing their university funding.

Question of the Week: Thoughts on a Female Ghostbusters Reboot

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

No Caption Provided

There's been a lot of talk over the years about the next appearance of the Ghostbusters on the big screen. From rumors of a third movie featuring a younger team to hints of it being a complete reboot, discussions on the subject have basically been all over the place. However, the latest bit comes from Variety and it's certainly interesting. Paul Feig, the director of Bridesmaids, is being "courted" to direct and produce the reboot. And the biggest news of it all? It'll "most likely" feature a female team! Naturally, opinions appear to be mixed on this potential premise, but we want to hear what you, the Comic Vine community, thinks about the latest bit of Ghostbusters movie news. You ain't afraid of no change? Or do you have a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality about the classic team?

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!!!

That said, it's worth noting this wouldn't be the first time a mostly female team has kicked some ghost booty. In Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening'sIDW series, the following team took over when the regular roster became unavailable to battle ghouls in the city. And yes, that's the team's secretary, Janine Melnitz, leading the charge!

No Caption Provided

The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET), so that should give you more than enough time to give this subject some proper thought before voting. After you vote in the poll, don't forget to travel to the comments and share your expanded thoughts on the question with us. Would a gender change alter the core elements of a Ghostbusters movie for you? To you, what are the key elements in a Ghostbusters film? And if you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and tell us which actresses you'd love to see in the movie!

No Caption Provided

Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for the results and more! Do you have a great idea for a future edition of the Question of the Week? If so, feel free to share it below or via Twitter.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I don't think we'll ever get a Ghostbuster 3.

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm fine with an all female Ghostbusters team, but what I really want is more content and continuity with the original films. So I'm not sure that I'd be thrilled with a female Venkman, Spengler, Zeddemore, and Stantz. Of course if pay to go see ANY movie set in Ghostbusters continuity, or any sort of reboot. So I'm torn, for sure.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Ghostbuster's reboot doesn't interest me in general

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

I have no connection to the original Ghostbusters, so I don't mind this.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

A Ghostbuster's reboot doesn't interest me in general

this

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just put Melissa McCarthy in it, and you have me.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
    i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@thatguywithheadphones: lemme guess: she'll be the spunky fat chick. just like her other roles. she's the new adam sandler, funny-ish for now, crap very soon. just watch tammy.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

It will suckkkk

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I've been saying they put love and care into it and it's a passing of the torch movie or even another branch of Ghostbusters I'll be fine with it. I know a lot of people are against it, but I happened to love Extreme Ghostbusters so if we can get new awesome characters dealing with the job I'm all for it.

I will say I don't want to see the Bridesmaid actresses in there though.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

makes some level of sense to go with a different gender for the group in this reboot. You're not gonna be able to compete with the original crew dynamic, and no matter who you bring into it, (regardless of talent) they'll have the spectre of the original Ghostbusters hovering over them. So it makes some level of sense to go with an all-female group of Busters to start anew.

My only concern is, regardless of how they approach this, the type of comedies that got made in the 80's are vastly different from the types that get made today. I'm just worried that they're gonna dumb this WAY down and add in way too much 'slapstick' and forget that Ghostbusters is also meant to be spooky as well as funny.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Heck ya, just go all in, flip it all around. have a modern update, new characters with a female team it would be great. Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph the way they were in Bridesmaids could pull this off, not their SNL versions..though.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Part of what made the original work, is that the roles fit the respective comedians (sorry Ernie Hudson). I think that it would be the same case, not to force gender equality for the sake of equality, but to make the characters fit the actors. Kristen Wiig would be pretty cool as well, but then so would a lot of people. A Ghostbusters reunion with Rose Byrne as well?

The fact of the matter is though, that there is no need for a Ghostbuster to be a male, as really anyone can be interested in the paranormal.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I think if they go with an all-female Ghostbusters, they should be successors to the originals, but not a total replacement.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

If this is happening I'd rather it be a sequel than a reboot. Overall I'm not against the idea but I can't think of four females that could work together and pull this off. Any commenters on here know which four ladies could pull off the task?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@razzatazz said:

Kristen Wiig would be pretty cool as well, but then so would a lot of people. A Ghostbusters reunion with Rose Byrne as well?

If this movie does happen, I sincerely hope they team-up again.

UchihAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds unbelievably gimmicky and quite frankly stupid. Much like female Thor, it sounds like another insane idea to cater to cackling hen feminists who don't even care for things like Ghostbusters so what's the point?

They really need to leave this franchise alone, we don't NEED a Ghostbusters 3. People wouldn't accept any replacement members regardless of gender. They're only entertaining this idea just so that when people object, they can pull the "sexism" card to silence opposition.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

its the only way to get my ticket: queen latifah, melisssa mccarthey, kristen wigg, maggie q, and maya rudolph

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: please don't, Im tired of seeing her play the idiotic fat sloppy chick role she plays in all of her movies. All curvy chicks are not idiotic,sloppy, and nasty for crying out loud.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thoughts that ran through my mind as i read this:

If it succeeds it'll definitely be a bold bold move. Stop rebooting franchises!. Could work if it's not all sex appeal and cheesecake-y. But Bridesmaid wasn't funny. hmmm.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz: to me the reason the movies work was because the films were adventure films with comedy elements, sort if like Indiana jones. It's the reason why the characters in the film work including Ernie Hudson who basically was not only put in for diversity reason but also to be the outsider of the group which I felt work really great. Like Ernie Hudson was pretty much us the audience and we were seeing the other three through his eyes. I feel that if they make a ghostbusters movie now it would just be a full blown slapstick, parody comedy movie.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#22  Edited By RazzaTazz

@dadarkknight36310: I am not sure, you have to give some filmmakers some respect. Maybe a collaborative effort between Jason Reitman and Christopher Nolan.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignoring the whole concept of taking a popular "white, hetero, guy" franchise & rebooting it with diversity, what does it say for diversity when there is no originality other than the cast isnt a bunch of "straight white guys"?

Also, if "girl-busters" is a success, is it because of the female cast, or because this hugely popular franchise finally got a third movie that most everyone wants to see , that turned out to be good?

Also, why not just do like they did with Evil dead? You got a female character, AND you have the ability to have BOTH cross over.

Scrap GB3. Its what, 30 years? Have the guys franchise out the GB company. The public knows ghosts exist. Have a GB team set up in each city, just like a police/sherriff & fire department. That way, you have 3-5 NEW female characters, & not just gender-bendered versions of the 4guys. AND you can have the remaining original cast still show up as well.

& YES!, Janine or at the very least Kylee Griffin should be in a new GB movie ,#3 or reboot regardless.

But the reboot process needs to stop. It does NOT help.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys putting way too much stock in the term ‘reboot’. The term reboot means nothing and its used all over the place.

Remake = Reboot

New sequel after a long period since the last film = reboot

Spin-off from a series that no longer has sequels = reboot

Reboot is such a s***y term and always a bunch of people get sand in their vaginas over it. We can never have a decent discussion because everyone wants to go on and on about cruddy terminology.

And if I’m wrong, show me where someone official (NOT a rumor blogger) specifically calls it the ‘Ghostbusters REMAKE’ rather than ‘Ghostbusters 3’… link please!

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

I also have no interest in a Ghostbusters reboot or sequel, male or female team.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

M1cAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm game for this, why not? its' been long enough since the last movie, i feel like they can do whatever they want...actually, thats how im feeling bout tmnt too

Jokercell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jokercell

I have read the New Ghostbusters run since it started a year and a half ago. My favorite issues in the series is when the New Ghostbusters were the focal point of the story telling. Once they started to mix the New with the Old the series started to lose its luster. I'd be interested to see what an all female lineup would be like.

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At this point my interest is little more than curiosity and that's a shame because I love Ghostbusters.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhhhmm Granddaughters.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WheatStalker

Make an origin story, put it in modern London, give me Helen Mirren, Hayley Atwell, Louise Brealey (Molly in Sherlock), and Keeley Hawes. Throw Simon Pegg in at the front desk. Add two cups sci-fi, three teaspoons humor, bake overnight in a haunted clocktower.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By KidSupreme

I grew up to this I hope they don't ruin my childhood lol!

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't just do something to do it, do it because it's the right move. Is it the right move? That I don't know.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did the extreme ghostbuster happen according to current status?

DrEgonSpengler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They can introduce one or two female Ghostbusters, but I don't think the entire team should be female. They can add Kylie Griffin. This just sounds like a gimmick to me.

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only concern is, regardless of how they approach this, the type of comedies that got made in the 80's are vastly different from the types that get made today. I'm just worried that they're gonna dumb this WAY down and add in way too much 'slapstick' and forget that Ghostbusters is also meant to be spooky as well as funny.

This is 100% what will happen.

Scrap GB3. Its what, 30 years? Have the guys franchise out the GB company. The public knows ghosts exist. Have a GB team set up in each city, just like a police/sherriff & fire department. That way, you have 3-5 NEW female characters, & not just gender-bendered versions of the 4guys. AND you can have the remaining original cast still show up as well.

Also, this. Although I wouldn't necessarily franchise it out to multiple cities... someone buying the rights to the one Ghostbusters company would be just fine. Multiple cities would just be too busy and "epic" for a comedy that started out by just focusing on the relationship a few guys have.

Avatar image for zerooriginality
    ZeroOriginality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah ah ahem.... Stop it.

Avatar image for redhotrebellion
    RedHotRebellion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude. If it's Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Wendi Mclendon-Covey, I'm IN!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.