k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

You'd expect the final issue of GHOSTBUSTERS to go out with a bang, right? A huge display of spectacle as the team finally finds a way to defeat Tiamat! Well, instead of giving us what feels like a "summer blockbuster" ending, writer Erik Burnham, artist Dan Schoening, and colorist Luis Antonio Delgado walk away from the title on a more emotional and memorable note. And the final page? It's sure to give any fan of the movie such a pleasant dose of nostalgia. Sure, we all love the action that battling ghosts can produce -- and there's a creepy dose of that in this one -- but the finale is mostly all about character. Winston Zeddemore, in fact.

This volume has included a pretty large cast and giving everyone a satisfying ending or at least proper credit in this final issue would be a herculean task. I mean, you need to offer a memorable conclusion to the Tiamat conflict and essentially say "goodbye" to these characters (don't worry, we'll see 'em in the TMNT crossover!). Zeddemore obviously receives the most depth here, but because of the way it all ends, no one really feels left out. Even if they're just in the background or have a single line in the story, there's four pages explaining "what happened next" for all of the key characters.

As for the story, the focus on Zeddemore adds a nice amount of emotional weight to the story. You can feel the weight on his shoulders and the intensity and he rushes into action and the tragedy as we're hit with a certain reveal. Now, the issue isn't all seriousness and high stakes. As Zeddemore struggles to save the day, the other Ghostbusters are locked in a very amusing and twisted battle. This franchise has produced a lot of unforgettable ghouls and this encounter is quite creepy and, as Ray says, "gross." This side of the plot allows the book to satisfy our craving for popcorn entertainment since it's mostly vivid blasts, crazy creatures, and enjoyable banter. It's offers a nice sense of balance, making this read both fun and substantial.

As always, Schoening and Delgado created a wonderful looking book. Their characters are expressive and full of life, the ghouls are disturbing and energetic, and the environments are each produced with an impressive amount of detail. Not only is the handling of the characters, locations and effects praiseworthy, but the use of angles in each scene really allows us to appreciate everything that's going on. From a close-up of an eye to the very last page, this was quite a cinematic experience for me.

The Bad

Honestly, I was feeling a little skeptical about this issue. Mass Hysteria!has been such a big story and, as stated above, giving us a satisfying conclusion for the narrative and such a big roster seemed like a huge task. Thankfully, the way it ends gives us a chance to quickly explore everyone's future and it all ends on a wonderfully optimistic note. I'd much rather have this than forcing scenes with all of them. GHOSTBUSTERS #20 was able to give me everything I'd want from a Ghostbusters comic and felt like a more than fitting ending. So, I'm very happy to say I'm left with no noteworthy complaints about the issue.

The Verdict

Another volume of GHOSTBUSTERS comes to an end and I absolutely loved it. It may not be as "epic" as some expect, but it has a whole lot of heart and feels like a more than proper conclusion. Sure, it would have been great to see a little more focus on more of the characters (something which is countered in the very end), but the developments with Zeddemore are handled so well and there's still plenty of fun with the other three leads. There's a few laughs to enjoy, some ghosts and action to marvel at, and a surprising amount of emotion and optimism when all is said and done. Thanks for the great ride, Mass Hysteria! Now, bring on the TMNT crossover!

acomicbooklook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By acomicbooklook

I love the Ghostbusters and so I usally love all the comics, but this one fell a bit flat for me. I think it had something to do with the lack of character development that you mentioned above.

Even though I say this fell flat, I still liked it better than most the things DC and Marvel are doing right now.

TasmanianGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sad to see this great series come to an end, but it was a great run.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.