Follow

Ghost Rider

Concept » Ghost Rider appears in 1063 issues.

The Ghost Rider is an empyrean/infernal creature made of a human spirit and a Spirit of Vengeance through a contract with Satan, dealings with an immortal vengeful spirit, or a supernatural entity. Ghost Riders tend to seek out vengeance for sins rendered. Notable Ghost Riders include Johnny Blaze, Dan Ketch, Alejandra and most recently Robbie Reyes.

What Went Wrong With Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

• 156 results
    umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#51  Edited By umbrafeline

i only seen the last few minutes of it after i got out of ONE FOR THE MONEY starring katherine heigl and john leguizamo with debbie reynolds.

and are you asking for a remake or a reboot of ghost rider, because you anger the jamz when you ask for both and not knowing that the word is and always will be remake

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By GiveUpNed

@Miss_Garrick said:

2 words: Nicolas Cage. Nuff said!

You are not from around these parts. http://www.screened.com/news/screened-presents-year-of-the-cage/3258/ We love Nicolas Cage.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@GiveUpNed said:

@Miss_Garrick said:

2 words: Nicolas Cage. Nuff said!

You are not from around these parts. http://www.screened.com/news/screened-presents-year-of-the-cage/3258/ We love Nicolas Cage.

oh man... I love Screened. I also usually love Nic Cage, no matter how over the top he is, but it was a bit much in this GR film.

@CaioTrubat said:

I have to disagree with EVERYTHING this article says.

- I don't mind Neveldine/Taylor shaky cam and I was capable of keeping up with their action scenes.

- Nicholas Cage in batshit insane mode is way, way waaaaaayyy better than in his dull mode. The Wicker Man is one of the best comedies of all time because of his acting and I really hate the Sorcerer Apprentice and Season of the Witch. He was having the fun of his life playing as total maniac AND his favorite superhero.

- I don't think the 3D was that bad.

- The movie not taking itself so seriously is improvement over the first movie falling into so many superhero cliches like the Green Lantern, a movie so viciously panned by the critics that I also liked. If you think that Ghost Rider peeing fire ruins the character FOREVER, I don't know whats wrong with you.

i think I may have upset many people posting my positive opinion on this. Well let flaming begin.

No one should be upset with your opinion. If they are, then they need to take a chillaxitive. Opinions are opinions. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and it's nice to see opposing point of views. Flaming is for the weak. Discussion is for kings.

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Azrael66

Nick Cage is everything that is wrong with this movie.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@umbrafeline said:

i only seen the last few minutes of it after i got out of ONE FOR THE MONEY starring katherine heigl and john leguizamo with debbie reynolds.

and are you asking for a remake or a reboot of ghost rider, because you anger the jamz when you ask for both and not knowing that the word is and always will be remake

Seeing that it's based off a comic book and completely scrapping the original premise and storyline would have been a better idea, it would still be a reboot. A remake follows the same story with a few changes to suit the target audience, especially with the movie "What Women Want," which was an American film with slightly different plot points from its remakes. The Chinese version didn't stray too far in terms of the story, but it held together enough to provide a clear picture of the the protagonist's conformity. With Ghost Rider, had it been recast and re-scripted then yes it would be a reboot. But forget the reboots, because Ghost Rider simply isn't that interesting on screen.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By Gambit1024

I think the problem with many reviewers is that they're expecting way too much out of this movie. As soon as I heard the Crank guys were involved, I knew what I was getting into the minute I bought my ticket and slurpee. Him pissing fire was even in the damn trailer, so anyone who had high hopes that this movie was serious isn't very bright. Is this movie an Oscar contender? Hell no. Was it better than GR1? It was certainly a step up, but that's not saying much. Was it a good movie all around? No, but if the object was to have fun while watching it, they certainly achieved their goal.

Bottom line, if Nic Cage is still involved in any of the GR movies, they will never be taken seriously, but if he's going to be involved, I at least want to be entertained. I was certainly entertained by both the action scenes and the Cage Rage, but that's not me saying that this was a good movie by any means.

I give it 5/10.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AlKusanagi

This one SHOULD have been a reboot. Cage absolutely ruined any potential the franchise had in the first one with his Elvis-impersonating, jelly bean eating take on Johnny Blaze. Pure crap.

nszerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By nszerdy

@Azrael66: Amen!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By Gambit1024

@AlKusanagi said:

This one SHOULD have been a reboot. Cage absolutely ruined any potential the franchise had in the first one with his Elvis-impersonating, jelly bean eating take on Johnny Blaze. Pure crap.

Which is why I think this movie was a step up. Crazy Cage is so much better than boring Cage, but neither of them are great. If that makes any sense, lol.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Mayo88m

I haven't seen the movie, nor do I plan to, but I believe the real reason people didn't go see this one is because the first one was horrible to begin with! I'll admit the trailers of this one at least seemed to ramp up the potential of this film, but I just wasn't going to risk the money on a gamble that it may actually be better after watching the first; it's a good thing I didn't. Oh, and Nicolas Cage is just all wrong for the part to begin with. In fact, he's just turned into the most horrible of actors, offering up repeated hammy performances again and again. The funny thing is that he takes himself so seriously. I watched a piece about how he prepared for the role. He even went so far as to paint his face like a skull (he referred to it as a tribal-like design from witch doctors), and offered up a bit of information that he could, "See the fear in his cast mates eyes when he walked on stage." That made me lol, they were just looking at him like he was an idiot most likely.

DickDastardly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DickDastardly

@zackattack529: Batman in may?.. Think thats wishfull thinking, man. Dark knight rises is out in july..

musim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By musim

Yeah I really didn't like the first movie. Everything about it was just bad. The directors for Spirit of Vengeance have gone on record saying they ignored the comics in their entirety. If I were to see this film, it would only be for the action and Cage acting like a lunatic. I'll probably wait for it to show up on Netflix.

superbatprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By superbatprime

I knew it.

I haven't gone to see it... The first movie was insulting enough.

The problem is the approach... big balls action blah blah blah.

Ghost Rider should be at it's heart a very tragic, horrifying tale.

In an ideal world Alex Proyas would have directed Ghost Rider while at the height of his powers, post crow/dark city.

The movie would be R.

Rufus Sewell would play Blackheart (think it over kids, think it over, ever see him in Hamlet?)

Hugo Weaving as Mephisto.

Milo Ventimiglia as Johnny (tbh I think he'd be better as Danny).

This rather humble ensemble would I think deliver a far more serious and earnest take on the Ghost Rider.

Now I don't even mean that literally these people should do it but this is an example of how the studio should be thinking.

It's the Ghost Rider... not the freaking Expendables.

...and Nic Cage should be banned from soliciting comic book roles (which you know he does) just because he is a comic book fan.

His seeming opinion that just because he reads comics he should get all these roles helped ruin Ghost Rider and very nearly destroyed Superman... we should start a petition or something.

If he was a real fan he'd know he is unsuitable for the roles and would want to see the best possible casting, which IS NOT HIM!

/endrant.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Haven't seen it yet and I was truly wanting to until I saw this. Sadly I may just hang onto my money now considering that this movie from what I've heard totally ignores the first flick. The directors being the same ones that did Jonah Hex are kind of the deal breaker for me. That movie was an abortion and so to would be this if this made less than half of what the first movie did on its opening day.

suedeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By suedeguy

The devil had ninja henchmen. Ghost Rider, unexpected comedy

neillius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By neillius

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: Ghost rider might need some antibiotics to help with the problem of it burning when he pees

kamionero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By kamionero

Who was the idiot that green-lit this barf storm after what a shit sandwich the first one was?!?!?!?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BatteredArmor

I liked the first movie, so while I wasn't expecting a good comic movie I expected a decent supernatural flick, I was sorely disappointed. The high point of the movie was GR pissing fire and that was awful, this is the second comic film of the 21st century that was actually worse than First Class

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By KidSupreme

BEST MOVIE EVER!!!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BatteredArmor

@CaioTrubat said:

I have to disagree with EVERYTHING this article says.

- I don't mind Neveldine/Taylor shaky cam and I was capable of keeping up with their action scenes.

- Nicholas Cage in batshit insane mode is way, way waaaaaayyy better than in his dull mode. The Wicker Man is one of the best comedies of all time because of his acting and I really hate the Sorcerer Apprentice and Season of the Witch. He was having the fun of his life playing as total maniac AND his favorite superhero.

- I don't think the 3D was that bad.

- The movie not taking itself so seriously is improvement over the first movie falling into so many superhero cliches like the Green Lantern, a movie so viciously panned by the critics that I also liked. If you think that Ghost Rider peeing fire ruins the character FOREVER, I don't know whats wrong with you.

i think I may have upset many people posting my positive opinion on this. Well let flaming begin.

*drinks whole bottle of water, turns into Ghost Rider, unzips pants*

Prepare for flaming

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#71  Edited By SpidermanWins

The best part of this movie was IDRIS ELBA. He was awesome....then they had to go kill kill him

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By The Sadhu

Another bad Marvel movie to add to my collection!

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Praetor_fenix

I hated the first, i just can't stand Cage's crazy antics anymore it was one of the few things wrong with Kick Ass (That and that machine-gun jet-pack, how can you screw something like that its beyond me) and i think he's just killed ghost rider's movie career, i mean Batman survived Kilmer and Clooney... But he's the goddamn Batman, Ghost Rider... Not so much.

thatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By thatguy

Nicolas Cage. The bees. The bees.

toxin45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#75  Edited By toxin45

Man they failed to great one perfect ghost Rider movie

MrRagePants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MrRagePants

"there was too much CGI"

It's a GR film, anything less would be Lou as Hulk all over again. I went to watch GR, so I better see more GR than Nic Cage. Please don't be bias when it comes to GR and Nic Cage. They are two different entity, hate one but don't let it affect the other (unless you're a pure bred hater and hate both).

Overall, I would watch this again than Brandon Roth's Superman.

ThreadPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ThreadPool

So bad it's terrible? And so terrible it's hilarous? Now I HAVE to see this.

hollandane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By hollandane

@kamionero said:

Who was the idiot that green-lit this barf storm after what a shit sandwich the first one was?!?!?!?

Amen brother. The shit sandwich was bad, but having to sit through this vomit tsunami for over an hour was torture. Mr. Cage couldn't act his way out of a flaming paper bag.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By joshmightbe

@musim: Why bother making a comic book movie if you're just going to ignore the source material ?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#80  Edited By Pokeysteve

Just my two cents.

Negatives

• Ghost Rider moved like the girl from The Ring
    • He barely spoke
    • Johnny didn't actually want to help anyone (part of his character arc but still)
    • Ghost Rider was a little bitch as the movies tend to make him
    • The Rider wanted to attack EVERYONE with guilt
    • It seemed Johnny had zero control once he was transformed
    • More predictable than the 1st one

Improvements

• GR looked better
    • His bike was more practical (even if it was a Yamaha)
    • This movie actually HAD fight scenes
    • A pretty cool high speed action scene too
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Mega_spidey01

his character of ghost rider reminds me of sweet tooth from twisted metal. the story is interesting. but the movie was horrible.

Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Spiderslike

I just finished watching the movie and I can't disagree with a lot of what was said. In truth I honestly thought this was going to be way better than the first due to Ghost Rider looking better changing in the sunlight and better fight scenes and more interesting uses of his powers. But although I think Cage can act I think this was a poor example of his talent and every actor isn't good all the time. I hate to sound like a typical fan but I feel like I could have made a better movie and I have only read a few Ghost Rider comics and love the character and still could have made a better movie.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By DEADPOOL

Inferior Ego, Johnny and Danny riding the motorcycle was most likely to show the two bonding, setting up Danny helping Johnny near the end.

Anyway, here are the pros from my perspective (in no real order):

1. Ghost Rider was cooler. He looked cooler, acted cooler, I enjoyed it. I however didn't entirely enjoy the first fight where Ghost Rider just took it's time scaring the hell out of everyone.

2. Had better fights and no love story. Those were some of my biggest complaints about the first movie.

3. I loved that they actually talked about Zarathos, and I liked their rendition. Everything about Zarathos was pretty much omitted from the first movie and Johnny was possessed by some kind of fire spirit. Bleh!

4. I liked the characters more and the story was a lot better as well.

Now the cons:

1. Nicholas Cage. They really, really should had gotten someone else. Everyone was saying that about the first movie too. Aside from critiques about his performance, Nicholas Cage just doesn't "fit" as Johnny Blaze.

2. Overacting. Not just Nicholas Cage, but Idris Elba and Johnny Whitworth too.

3. The pacing in the movie was just too fast, the whole film actually felt like Johnny racing through the streets on his motorcycle to me.

4. Should have had more of Christopher Lambert in it.

I gotta say, the Punisher and Ghost Rider movies are very comparable to me.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By windcaster

Maybe Marvel can by the movie rights back and have him and Doctor Strange team-up?

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By KEROGA

DRIVE ANGRY+ BETTER EFFECTS =/ whatever

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By viin

they need to redo ghost riders character completely...go back to make it a western story with a cowboy and horse....i dont understand the point of him having a motorcycle

and nicholas cage needs to just go away

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I had a feeling this film was going to be bad and like you guys said they did not take this film seriously. That is the reason it did so poorly

Avatar image for comicbookfan249
    Comicbookfan249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Comicbookfan249

Ok, I havnet seen the film but WOW mat! Your saying this is one of the worst comic book films of the 21rst century? Was it worse than the BS CGI crap load that was Green Lantern all it had going for it was some dude that females want to jump. I liked the first Ghost rider but after seeing some scences and hearing the review I may have to wait till its on TV I won't pay to see this movie.

rolvtd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By rolvtd

Gotta disagree. I really enjoyed this film ESPECIALLY when compared to the first.

As for Ghost Rider peeing, I had fundamental problems with it until I actually saw it and realized:

It was 100% in a teenage boys' imagination.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it after that and actually made sense story wise.

As for the "This film is one of the worst of all the comic book films in the 21st century." , you are entitled to your opinion, as am I; cause I think you're nuts. Let's list the hits in the 21st century shall we:

Alien vs. Predator - Both of em.

Blade: Trinity (2004)

Bulletproof Monk (2003)

Catwoman (2004)

Daredevil (2003)

Elektra (2005)

Green Lantern (2011)

Jonah Hex (2010)

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)

Son of the Mask (2005)

The Spirit (2008)

SexualLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SexualLobster
    mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#91  Edited By mikex20

The thing I hated the most about the movie was when they tried to incorporate animated/motion comics into the film.

GokaiFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By GokaiFire
    No Caption Provided

I liked it. I think that it was really fun and the "peeing fire" thing was a joke and used as a joke. But of course it is alright to say that one nic cage movie takes it self to seriously and then his very next one to say that it didn't take it self very seriously. I feel that most of the hate comes from band wagoners, the same type of people who like to shit on everything they haven't actually seen because it is popular to do so. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance was good and not even close to "the worst comic film of the 21st century" . In the end I think that the low reviews are because it is easy to trash on Nic Cage films and I think that it got such a low box office gross because it wasn't exactly advertised a lot and Ghost Rider isn't exactly in the marvel's "big 3" or Spider-Man. So yeah...

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#93  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Always nice to see one of my favorite characters reduced to this level, thanks all involved! :/

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Video_Martian

NO!!! NOT THE BEES!!!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By _Zombie_

@DEADPOOL said:

Inferior Ego, Johnny and Danny riding the motorcycle was most likely to show the two bonding, setting up Danny helping Johnny near the end.

Anyway, here are the pros from my perspective (in no real order):

1. Ghost Rider was cooler. He looked cooler, acted cooler, I enjoyed it. I however didn't entirely enjoy the first fight where Ghost Rider just took it's time scaring the hell out of everyone.

2. Had better fights and no love story. Those were some of my biggest complaints about the first movie.

3. I loved that they actually talked about Zarathos, and I liked their rendition. Everything about Zarathos was pretty much omitted from the first movie and Johnny was possessed by some kind of fire spirit. Bleh!

4. I liked the characters more and the story was a lot better as well.

Now the cons:

1. Nicholas Cage. They really, really should had gotten someone else. Everyone was saying that about the first movie too. Aside from critiques about his performance, Nicholas Cage just doesn't "fit" as Johnny Blaze.

2. Overacting. Not just Nicholas Cage, but Idris Elba and Johnny Whitworth too.

3. The pacing in the movie was just too fast, the whole film actually felt like Johnny racing through the streets on his motorcycle to me.

4. Should have had more of Christopher Lambert in it.

I gotta say, the Punisher and Ghost Rider movies are very comparable to me.

I actually enjoyed Idris's performance. Plus, at least the Punisher series can say it's got the Thomas Jane movie. Ghost Rider doesn't even have that, sadly.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By joshmightbe

@GokaiFire: My hate comes from watching it, as for your bit about it being a joke I must point out GHOST RIDER IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Aronmorales

Whelp, after reading the review and all the comments, I REALLY want to see this movie now.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By LordRequiem

I'm going to see it this week, but watching the trailer and seeing the certificate as 12A I hold little hope at all. Even more so as Gamer was terrible and Crank, not much better. To top it off, apparently a Youtube game commentator Tejb is suppose to feature, Really? For what purpose? That's not serious at all. A joke. I'll still watch it though.

dcfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By dcfox

Way, way, way off on your assessment of the movie. The problem with the first movie was that it took itself too seriously. The best the part about this movie? That it doesn't take itself seriously at all. I don't need every comic book movie to be the Dark Knight. Everything in this movie was done in service to being cool and crazy even if it was to the detriment of the story and plot.

Edit: and the reason why it didn't so well at the box office? Because the first movie was absolute garbage and scared everyone away.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By mattwing87

Your movie theater charges you an extra $1 for 3D movies? My theater charges an extra $5 for 3D.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.