sithfrog's Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Punisher: Hearts of Darkness #1 - GN review

An Oldie But Goodie!

While reorganizing my comic collection I stumbled upon this one-shot from about twenty years ago or so and realized that I had either never read it or the story totally slipped my memory.

The Good
While not a unique concept, we see Blackheart (son of Marvel's version of the devil a.k.a. Mephisto) tempting three of the MU's less morally bound characters.  This would then provide Blackheart with some extra power to kill Mephisto and take over his "operation".  The story was not bad and well paced.  I liked the character of Lucy Crumm and how polite this little girl was to some of Marvel's more gritty characters.  I have to also say that John Romita Jr.'s art felt right for this fast paced tale of supernatural temptation and heroics.  This was odd having just seen so many people feeling like JRJR's work on the Avengers wasn't doing that book and its Fear Itself tie-in issues justice.

The Bad
While the pace went along well, at times it did feel a little rushed.  The ending felt slightly anticlimactic, but still ended in an appropriate manner.  Not really too much I can call foul on here.

While enjoyable, I'm not the biggest Ghost Rider or Punisher fan so that did hinder my rating a little.  That being said, it was refreshing to read a supernatural plot line that didn't feel it was influenced or dictated by Twilight and all of the other recently chic supernatural pop culture.  I had to go back to the early '90s to find it, but still.  Like I mentioned earlier, tempted champions in no new concept, but I do feel like this succeeded over all.  A must have for GR, Punisher, or Wolvie fans as well as fans of Howard Mackie or JRJR.  Above average and leaving me a bit curious as to what happens in its sequel The Dark Design.