WonderCon 2011: Geoff Johns

#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

He's my favorite.  Met him in 2009 at one of my local comic stores when he was signing Blackest Night #1.

#2 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Never saw First Flight, but I'm pretty excited to see Emerald Knights.  Johns had me when he used the Star Wars bounty hunter analogy.

Excited for Flashpoint, though I would have liked for the new Flash series to have gotten a bit more of its legs underneath it before attempting a huge event comic.
#3 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff almost said "yes" to a death. He said to her question "Ye...well errr...." to cover himself up.

#4 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

Well since he clearly said yes to the question, i wonder who it's going to be, i just hope it's not another lian harper incident

#5 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
@GothamRed said:
" Well since he clearly said yes to the question, i wonder who it's going to be, i just hope it's not another lian harper incident "
That was Robinson, so I doubt it.
#6 Posted by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that Flashpoint is a Flash and Batman in a Brave and the Bold type story has me interested I do think there is something to people complaining Johns relies too much on mythology in stories but when it comes to a straight superhero story Johns is a master of so I'll be checking it out.

#7 Posted by Lunacy (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm here with Geoff Johns at WonderCon. The man who made Hal Jordan the mass murderer and pedophile great. Can I say that?

#8 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel: True, but you never know what'll happen, there's always the looming threat of editorial mandates on big crossover events, though i hope the death will be done with dignity
#9 Posted by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lunacy: @Lunacy said:
" I'm here with Geoff Johns at WonderCon. The man who made Hal Jordan the mass murderer and pedophile great. Can I say that? "
Different writers.
#10 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

"Ye...well errr... I Dunno, Maybe."

Now the question is, WHO'S GONNA DIE???

#11 Posted by Lunacy (40 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:
" @Lunacy: @Lunacy said:
" I'm here with Geoff Johns at WonderCon. The man who made Hal Jordan the mass murderer and pedophile great. Can I say that? "
Different writers. "
I never said they weren't.
#12 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lunacy said:
" @johnny spam said:
" @Lunacy: @Lunacy said:
Different writers. "
I never said they weren't. "
It was implied.
#13 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

He retconned the interview. This never happened.

And it did, then. And it was twice as good the second time.

#14 Posted by Lunacy (40 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel: No it isn't. The man who made Hal Jordan (the mass murderer and pedophile) great.
#15 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lunacy said:

" @Supreme Marvel: No it wasn't. The man who made Hal Jordan (the mass murderer and pedophile) great. "

Fixed. If you used parentheses before, then it would have been okay. :)
#16 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel said:
" @Lunacy said:

" @Supreme Marvel: No it wasn't. The man who made Hal Jordan (the mass murderer and pedophile) great. "

Fixed. If you used parentheses before, then it would have been okay. :) "
Should I have said "The man who made Hal Jordan famous" instead? 
#17 Posted by xkoenig (392 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs: I love your interviews, but you guys really, really need to come up with a 'sign-off' at the end I think. You know, even if it's goofy or cheesy, just something to wrap it up before you cut. Anyway, great job :)
#18 Posted by craigbo180 (196 posts) - - Show Bio
@xkoenig: Didn't she wrap it up when she said "alright, thank you so much for talking to us today"? I laughed when babs asked if someone was gonna die and he said yes but had to stop himself. :D
#19 Posted by xkoenig (392 posts) - - Show Bio
@craigbo180 said:
" @xkoenig: Didn't she wrap it up when she said "alright, thank you so much for talking to us today"? I laughed when babs asked if someone was gonna die and he said yes but had to stop himself. :D "
I just meant something like: <turns to camera> 'I'm Sara Lima and you're watching ComicVine,' <aaannd cut!> 
But I don't want to pretend like it's a big deal... :P
#20 Posted by craigbo180 (196 posts) - - Show Bio
@xkoenig: Fair enough, I definitely don't think its a big deal :) I would rather just have a natural ending myself.
#21 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

For all his retconning and his altering continuity to suit his books, I've rarely read anything by him that I hated (maybe I'm just not as stuck-up on continuity as most people here). Looking forward to Flashpoint.

#22 Posted by HumanNumber (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited for both emerald knights and flashpoint, Geoff Johns is the man. Great interview.

#23 Posted by War Killer (19851 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious said:
" "Ye...well errr... I Dunno, Maybe."Now the question is, WHO'S GONNA DIE??? "
That is a pretty bad excuse to say when YOU'RE the one writing the book xD lol
#24 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic Vines coverage continues to be awesome. Too bad this interview wasn't as long as the others, but it was still really cool

#25 Posted by grbear (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be looking forward to Flashpoint more if it didn't involve a million different comics. That list of expected Flashpoint publications made Blackest Night look like a fart in a hurricane by comparison.

I'll still end up buying it all though. D'oh!!

#26 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns is such a class act. I'll be sure looking forward to Flashpoint next month.

#27 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Supreme Marvel said:
" @Lunacy said:

Fixed. If you used parentheses before, then it would have been okay. :) "
Should I have said "The man who made Hal Jordan famous" instead?  "
Maybe "The man who made Hal very well known." Because I still think Hal's a douche! Kyle for the win!!
#28 Posted by Thunderscream (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

god he's hot

#29 Posted by Trodorne (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL how many times do i have to say this. Hal Jordan is not a pedophile, Arisia is an alien our human laws do not apply to her.

#30 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

I can not wait for Flash point.

#31 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

That was a rather...short interview :P

#32 Posted by DavidRose (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Sara: the man who made Green Lantern great... Can I say that?

Geoff: Sure.

Great interview! Geoff Johns is by far my favorite comic writer.

#33 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Eyz said:
" That was a rather...short interview :P "
If I wasn't getting yelled at to hurry it up, I would have kept going :) 
#34 Edited by DarkMatter23 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

How the hell did Geoff Johns do it? From an intern (by accident) to Richard Donner, to being a top writer for DC. And all and all, being pretty darn amazing at it! I am envious.

#35 Posted by BurnSide (53 posts) - - Show Bio

geoff johns = bad ass
#36 Posted by ZaberCat (246 posts) - - Show Bio

You are so lucky to meet famous writers and artists! I bet you are so glad to meet those who wrote and drew comics. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.