The Geoff Johns/Silver age rant

Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
 Sigh

Geoff, You annoy me. You very much annoy me. Why? I've just read three issues of Superman: Secret Origins, and I don't know whether to love you, or freaking hate you. 
On the one hand, the whole series is beautifully written. Every character seems tangible and real. It's interesting. It's charming. It's what anyone who wants to understand Superman should read. Every moment is nicely thought out. Every interaction is great and the events really set the tone for what the characters will become and how they'll evolve into people we all know and love.

On the other hand, IT'S FREAKING SILVER AGE! It was stupid when it was made and I would very much like it to stay buried. 
I don't want a moronic clumsy oaf Clark. I don't want the legion of Superheroes in his childhood. I don't want him to have a Superdog from his superplanet. I don't want him to wear a supersuit made from the superblankets found in his supership.  And I don't want him to be a superbest friend with his future supernemesis.
All these concepts were retarded when they were made, and not even your freaking awesome writing can't pull them off. Crisis happened for a reason. John Byrne happened for a reason. They happened to get rid of all the stupid stuff you have been going out of your way to bring back. Why Geoff? Why? 
What is the point of undoing decades of work to bring back the time everyone and their grandma thinks was silly? 
Why have Lex and Clark be childhood friends? That is a plot point from Tiny Toons or Tom and Jerry Kids.  "Hey, they hate each other's guts and fight every day, what would happen if they met when they were kids? BRILLIANT!!!" Well not so much. In fact every concept you've introduced in Superman since Infinite crisis was retarded, but you somehow make it work, and I'm still asking why Geoff? 
Did someone dare you? Did you make a bet that you can bring back the stupidest thing in comics and make it work? Come on. Is it that necessary to bring back Superman's "Iconic" origin? Was normal modern Superman so bad you couldn't write any good stories about him? I mean you're good with re-imagining train wreck characters into something awesome. The Rogues and Black Hand are living proof of that, but Superman has never been lousy. Not for anyone who bothered to read his book. 
I loved your Action Comics, Geoff. I loved your New Krypton. And I love your Secret Origins. But I'm glad you're not writing anymore Superman books, and I hope you don't get around to write another one for a long, long time.

/rant over

Disclaimer: Yes, I know Geoff Johns probably isn't the one to blame for DC's urge to undo Crisis on Infinite earths and all the good things it's brought, but it's my blog. Leave me be.
#1 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I love a well reason rant.  Well done, sir!  Rant on...!  :)

#2 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey..I was gonna rant on this..but I always complain about this so more power to you atphantom!

#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7911 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought The last crisis re-established alot of the stuff done before crisis on infinite earths
#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" I love a well reason rant.  Well done, sir!  Rant on...!  :) "
@geraldthesloth said:
" Hey..I was gonna rant on this..but I always complain about this so more power to you atphantom! "
LOL Why thank you, I needed to get that out of my system. 

@DEGRAAF said:
" i thought The last crisis re-established alot of the stuff done before crisis on infinite earths "
Silver age's been creeping in to DC for the last five years. Not sure exactly what you mean though.
#5 Edited by ~The Wanderer~ (34406 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if I disagree about a few minor things, I love this rant and agree with the main point../high five!

#6 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff loves the Silver Age , should be a sitcom
#7 Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio
Clap clap clap 

Well done!
#8 Posted by DEGRAAF (7911 posts) - - Show Bio

i mean the crisis after infinite earths. the one that brought the 52 worlds back, i thought when that was brought back just recently (when prime got sent bacl to earth prime) that that is when all hte old silver age related history came back in to play as well
#9 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

That's pretty much how I feel about it.
#10 Posted by The Wretch (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't understand the aversion to some Silver Age concepts.  I was never a fan of the, "Clark used to be friends with Lex" concept, but the others weren't bad.  Why does everybody hate Krypto?  Why can't Superman have a dog?  It's a FUN concept.  There's not enough fun in the funny books anymore.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Clark as a reporter.  The initial reason was so he could know when something was going down- but really, all he has to do is listen with his super-hearing.  If he's concerned about having a secret identity, his best bet would have been to stay in Smallville.  At least then there would be less people suspicious of how he disappears when Superman shows up.  Then we all wouldn't have to suspend disbelief when they say Lois is a good investigative journalist, etc.  Well, since they're married now that doesn't matter, but hell, she's not the only reporter that works with him.

#11 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15040 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Wretch said:
"I still don't understand the aversion to some Silver Age concepts.  I was never a fan of the, "Clark used to be friends with Lex" concept, but the others weren't bad.  Why does everybody hate Krypto?  Why can't Superman have a dog?  It's a FUN concept.  There's not enough fun in the funny books anymore.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Clark as a reporter.  The initial reason was so he could know when something was going down- but really, all he has to do is listen with his super-hearing.  If he's concerned about having a secret identity, his best bet would have been to stay in Smallville.  At least then there would be less people suspicious of how he disappears when Superman shows up.  Then we all wouldn't have to suspend disbelief when they say Lois is a good investigative journalist, etc.  Well, since they're married now that doesn't matter, but hell, she's not the only reporter that works with him."

1. I don't hate krypto, I love Krypto. And I'm sure many other people do too. I hate, however, Krypto's origin of being the EL family fog sent to earth in an experimental rocket. That is cheesy beyond belief. Krypto's modern origin, being created on an imaginary Krypton prison for Superman, and following him back after he escaped was good enough, but this is just moronic.

2. Yes, this is another point I forgot to address in the blog. The Clark/Superman relation. 

Thing is, in the modern continuity, Clark isn't a reporter to keep a disguise or keep track of things, he's a reporter because he loves doing it. He doesn't wear Clark Kent as a disguise because he is Clark Kent. Superman is just something he does in his spare time. He defines himself as Clark Kent of Earth, not as Kal-El of Krypton.  

And this is good. It establishes Superman as earth's greatest hero, not a newcomer from another planet. He is not an alien, or a God, or a higher intelligence coming down to help us poor humans, he's one of us. He loves everything we love. He enjoys everything we enjoy, and he can help other people because of his powers, so he does. 

This is an aspect of modern Superman, that he sees himself as just another man and tries to help just as any other kind man would, I feel most protective about, and thankfully it hasn't been completely forgotten of. But nevertheless they've brought back the bumbling disguise Clark who has to act in front of everyone 24/7 because heavens forbid someone finds out he actually has a spine. It sucks.
#13 Posted by The Wretch (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't disagree with you on most points, but doesn't it make more sense that Krypto would have been the test subject?  I mean, there's precedent for that in our own space program and most parents would probably risk their dog before their child.  I just don't see how that's "cheesy"- yet creating him in an imaginary Krypton prison (which granted, I'm not familiar with) is better? 

Weird.  I go from from calling for more "fun" in the comics to defending the more plausible at the expense of the fantastic.  I'm a living contradiction.

#14 Edited by MrDirector786 (43641 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at the bright side.... at least THIS hasn't returned.........

#15 Posted by BIackFlash (1882 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" Look at the bright side.... at least THIS hasn't returned.........

"
To be perfectly honest

I think I might prefer that stuff to Emoboy Prime 

#16 Posted by robbiesol (459 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty good rant. 

I mean I don't personally agree with it, but it was a good jarb. 

#17 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, Johns loves the silver age a little too much...

#18 Posted by Thorion88 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
Look at the bright side.... at least THIS hasn't returned.........

The very second any of that BS creeps back, I'm dropping Superman. I can stand Bronze Age Supes, but I rather dislike SA Superman with a passion.
#19 Posted by ironshadow (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the hate Johns gets should be redirected towards Didio.

#20 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

I Hate the Silver Age man...HATE IT. John Byrne's Superman was awesome....Damn you Johns...DAMN YOU!

#21 Posted by StarKiller809 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Geoff Johns is a great writer... if he's writing the right characters. I think DC Comics thinks that they can throw him on any character and magic will come out. No. He is a great writer, but he can't write everyone.
#22 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13613 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns needs to redirect those Silver Age impulses to the characters who were actually better in the Silver Age then they are now.
#23 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: *Applauds*
#24 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (4908 posts) - - Show Bio

What a stupid rant, the Silver Age is awesome.

#25 Posted by PapiNacho (3225 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm personally much more partial to Birthright, but Secret Origins is far from the worst thing Geoff has done. It is honestly alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.