Follow

Geoff Johns

Person » Geoff Johns is credited in 1567 issues.

Geoff Johns is the CEO for Mad Ghost Productions at Warner Brothers. He previously wrote Action Comics, Justice Society of America, Flash, Aquaman, Teen Titans prior to focusing on movies. He is also known for his historic nine-year run on Green Lantern in which he greatly expanded the mythos.

Geoff Johns Steps Down as GREEN LANTERN Writer

• 190 results
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By AtPhantom

@Zeeguy91 said:

So, to all of you writing "ding dong, the witch is dead" and "thank god, now I can start reading GL again" and who are chastising those who are expressing sadness at Geoff leaving (you know who you are), please just knock it off. Let those of us who really loved this historic comic book run say goodbye to someone who gave a lot to a character he truly loved. Whoever takes over on Green Lantern has big shoes to fill, that's for sure.

Dude. This isn't an obituary. I don't think anyone should feel obliged to give you guys a moment of silence for a writer leaving a comic book for God's sake.

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By hunter5024

I don't know why but I was under the impression he was leaving Aquaman as well. Maybe that was just a rumor or something.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#103  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Wow. was not expecting that. as much as i moan and complain about him, i owe Geoff Johns a lot. it was his GL work that finally made me a hardcore GL fan and help with my introduction to the DC Universe. i can thank him for that t least.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By jinxuandi

I'm sorry to see him go as Green Lantern is one of my favorite books. But Mr. Johns has had a great run on the title and I hope he can work his magic on another title.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that sucks, His work was amazing.

RoastedRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By RoastedRay

Jesus 64 pages.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By briangsharon
    No Caption Provided
    Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By Dreadmaster

I feel very much like the Grumpy Cat right now... :|

TheMadMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By TheMadMarvel

Look Rob Liefeld. A job opening. Mwahahahaha

LeaderVladimir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#110  Edited By LeaderVladimir

Thanks for the good times, Geoff. You will be missed. May the seven lights shine upon you.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#111  Edited By Zeeguy91

@AtPhantom: Its not a moment of silence. Its a matter of respect for your fellow users. If you feel the need to chase down anyone who is sad to see Geoff leaving and basically say the entire run they spent almost a decade reading is garbage, then there's something wrong with you. (Just to be clear, I'm not saying you, I'm just being hypothetical)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By JakeN7

Oh. My. God.

I was not expecting this and am deeply saddened by it. I can't even express in words how disappointing this is, so I'll just wish Geoff Johns the best of luck, and hope that he continues to do great work on his other titles.

Now that I think about it though, it makes sense. Not even Superman could write 4 of DC's biggest titles at the same time (Justice League, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Justice League of America) while simultaneously being DC's CCO. Poor Johns would've keeled over by the end of the year!

Red_Robin212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Red_Robin212

I'm OK with this

He's had a great run on GL and I hope he stays on Aquaman for a long time and does some great stuff with him too (I'm already loving his 2 storylines so far)

I just hope they give it to someone worthy

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@Lvenger said:

No damn it no! Green Lantern was awesome under Johns' guidance. This is very sad news to hear him go. He really innovated Hal and the Green Lantern franchise for a new age and has been one of the main reasons I like Hal and the Green Lantern mythology so much. Johns has made an undeniable mark on the GL universe that won't be overlooked any time soon. I wonder who will replace him?

This.

@Xwraith said:

Second most surprising story I've heard today, after the Pope resigning.

Who cares about the pope! This is huge! Johns is stepping down from GL! I really hope GL stays as good... and doesn't suck...

Avatar image for fabo_puertorican
    fabo_puertorican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tears just came out of my eyes reading this... Geoff Johns, you have no idea how much i'm going to miss your writting.

This is honestly feels like a break-up. Worse... it feels like the death of someone close to you.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By colonyofcells

Now that Johns is gone, would like to see in the future villains like : Weaponers and their thunderers, Robot manhunters and their alien manhunters, Anti monitor and shadow corps with anti matter fusion energy powers, Controllers and darkstars, Nekron and black lanterns, Volthoom and his own color lanterns like Power Ring, Mordru and his magic corps, Computo and Robotica army, Lobo and clone army, Dark Circle and Superman clone army, Dominators and Daxam clone army.

batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By batmarcus

@briangsharon said:

No Caption Provided

My thoughts exactly!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#118  Edited By Mercy_

Knew about this last week :) you guys have no idea how hard it was to keep mum.

Avatar image for deactivated-62dfe515b2439
    deactivated-62dfe515b2439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Well, this sucks. I will definitely miss Geoff Johns on GL, but I am proud to say that I own every single issue of his run, loved the vast majority of them and really liked the rest.

Thanks for an amazing nine years!

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By ILLO_29

He will be missed on GL, some of my favorite stories are from Johns GL run. It feels like something fishy is going on. Hop on over to DC and check out the solicties for every Lantern title, every creative team is leaving at issue 20 of every title.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a cold day woe is me.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I don't really mind this. I haven't cared much about the new Corps, other than Orange, and if it means more time to do great things on Aquaman and Justice League that's fine with me. Those books are good, GL wasn't that great, and I'd rather him leave the mediocre one that will never get canceled, than risk one of the good books getting worse by leaving it to try and save a floundering one.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#123  Edited By nappystr8

This comes as a surprise, I think everyone knew he'd be stepping down from some book, but I think most of us assumed it would be Aquaman. I'm glad to hear he is going to continue strengthening Aquaman as a character, and although I'm loving his new character Simon Baz in Green Lantern, it has been almost 10 years Johns has been on GL, it makes sense he'd be ready to move away from that universe.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#124  Edited By GothamRed

I can taste the new coke...

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By AtPhantom

@Zeeguy91 said:

@AtPhantom: Its not a moment of silence. Its a matter of respect for your fellow users. If you feel the need to chase down anyone who is sad to see Geoff leaving and basically say the entire run they spent almost a decade reading is garbage, then there's something wrong with you. (Just to be clear, I'm not saying you, I'm just being hypothetical)

Well seeing as how you've quoted my post almost word for word I suppose you can say I'm feeling called out. And you know what? I think I'm entitled to say I think his the decade long run is garbage just as much as everyone here feels entitled to think it was the second coming of Shakespeare (I don't, mind you, but that's not the point here).

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By bunkerbuster05

First Brubaker with Cap, now Johns and Lantern.

;[

As much as I love new beginnings, I'm gonna miss it.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Zeeguy91

@AtPhantom said:

@Zeeguy91 said:

Well seeing as how you've quoted my post almost word for word I suppose you can say I'm feeling called out. And you know what? I think I'm entitled to say I think his the decade long run is garbage just as much as everyone here feels entitled to think it was the second coming of Shakespeare (I don't, mind you, but that's not the point here).

Well just because you are entitled to say something doesn't always mean that you should. I stand by my statements. If you feel the need to call someone out who liked Geoff Johns' work on GL and basically tell them that their opinion is wrong, then you're just being immature. I'm not telling you to not have your own opinion. I'm not even saying you shouldn't express that opinion. But there's a proper time and a proper forum to express said opinion and that would be in a debate. This isn't a debate forum. This is a thread meant to say goodbye to Geoff and, if you haven't noticed, a lot of people are sad about him leaving.

By coming on here and calling people out by saying "no, it sucked, you shouldn't be sad", you're just trashing other peoples' opinions and essentially saying they were wrong to like it. Why is it that when some minority disagrees with the general consensus, they always feel the need to shove their opinions down peoples' throats? Like I said, I'm not asking you to not have an opinion, I'm just asking for people to be a little considerate of other peoples' opinions and show a little decorum.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By JamDamage

@Zeeguy91: why can't someone says someones run sucks? this is not debate forum, but it is a forum for any and all to leave an opinion. Don't be a fanboy and get pissed off just because someone else didn't like the run. Happens all the time. People do it to a lot of writers. Sure the numbers in sales shows that more poeple obviously liked Johns run, but look at Bendis on his titles. That guy sells a shit load of books and gets hammered all the time. Same thing with Mark Millar, but in the end they're the ones lauging at the bank when they get their par checks. If YOU want a particular response maybe you should start the forum for that. Til then, let anyone who wants to say they don't like something say it. Maybe if you don't like their opinion, you shouldn't be reading the News Forums.

ghostsuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ghostsuck

let go kill one piece writer

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By AtPhantom

@Zeeguy91: He. Didn't. Die.

Jesus Christ the guy just left a title. I get that he's your favorite writer and your favorite title and now the magic is gone, but seriously, way to overreact. Last time I checked, this thread, not to mention this whole forum, is a place for everyone who has an opinion on the matter, negative or positive. So no, I'm not going to feel obliged to sit down and give people a mourning period of grace just because their writer isn't writing their comic anymore.

I'm all for respecting other people's rights and feelings, but this is just ridiculous.

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By mcbean

Well that sucks

jemckinn214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By jemckinn214

One day a few years I stumbled into a comic book store for the first time. On the wall opposite of the cashier I saw a poster for the Sinestro Corps War. Instantly intrigued by this, I asked the store clerk about it, and ever since that moment I have been going back the comic store weekly. Geoff Johns and his stories in the Green Lantern universe changed my life, from giving me hope in times of desperation to giving me the willpower to overcome adversity on a regular basis. Green Lantern #25, the finale to Sinestro Corps War is still my favorite comic, the day I read that issue was the day I knew that I would be a Green Lantern fan for life. Green Lantern under Johns pen has been such a blast to enjoy. As sad as I am that this day is finally going to come, I celebrate his larger than life bombastic run. Thank you Geoff.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By modunhanul

I've became Green Lantern fan by Green Lantern Rebirth. I've enjoyed Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night and Brightest Day. Mr. Johns, I appreciate your wonderful work on Green Lantern comics. I don't know who will be the next GL writer, but I will miss you.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By MrDirector786

While it is shocking to see him go I also feel that after almost 10 years it will be nice to have a new writer, and best of luck to Geoff in other series he's writing and to whoever is going to be the new writer of Green Lantern.

Avatar image for dontbelievethehyperion
    dontbelievethehyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In response I'll be stepping down as Green Lantern reader.

Bushwhacker_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Bushwhacker_

Well.

Damn.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#137  Edited By saoakden

I woke up this morning, went on to comicvine, saw this headline Geoff Johns Steps down as Green Lantern Writer & said, "Wait, what??? Am I dreaming?" I'm not going to lie, this bummed me out. Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern is amazing, awesome, epic, great, fantastic, epic. I remember when I first bought Green Lantern Comics. I started getting into comics around late 2010, early 2011, I remember Fear itself and Death of Spider-Man coming out so it was around that time I really got into comics. Around the time the Green Lantern movie was coming out, I decided I wanted to read Green Lantern because he looked cool and I remember from the Justice League and some Super friends reruns, Green Lantern did some cool things with his ring. I was in Vegas at the time and I found a comic shop and I bought Green Lantern: Secret Origins, and Green Lantern: Rebirth, both by Geoff Johns and an Avengers hardcover by Bendis. I later read Secret Origins and then Rebirth and remember thinking, this is awesome. After reading those two stories, I feel in love with the Green Lantern series.

I loved Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, War of the Green Lanterns and the New 52 Green Lantern. I'll admit I still have some catching up to do, with both Pre-52 and New 52 Green Lantern. but Johns run on Green Lantern shall be missed.

Thanks for the awesome Green Lantern stories Geoff Johns!

ALFMutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ALFMutant
    No Caption Provided
    frandj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By frandj

Well... Soon or later he will drop the book. And its been 9 years... Geoff and all the team already put many elements and expands its universe big. So... I guessed i understand. But what worried me is who will continue the franchise? Before geoff... GL is betwean kyle, stewart, hal, and guy. Now... 4 of them are having their chance plus baz, though i still not familiar with this new GL. I hope next team can continue the spirit...no! I hope they even better.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By mattwing87

NOOOOOOO! He can't leave! He has done too much! Whoever takes over has huge shoes to fill!!!

QuantomMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By QuantomMan

NNOOOOOO!!!!!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#142  Edited By Gambit1024

Guys, it's not just Geoff Johns. It's everyone working on GL titles:

GREEN LANTERN #20

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Art by DOUG MAHNKE and CHRISTIAN ALAMY

Wraparound cover by DOUG MAHNKE

1:25 B&W Variant wraparound cover by DOUG MAHNKE

On sale MAY 1 • 64 pg, FC, $7.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $8.99 US

It’s the final battle against the First Lantern and the Guardians in this, the extra-sized finale of Geoff Johns’ historic run on the title! Plus, don’t miss a special retrospective on Geoff’s run on GL!

Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digitaldownload of this issue.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #20

Written by PETER J. TOMASI

Art by FERNANDO PASARIN and SCOTT HANNA

Cover by ANDY KUBERT

1:25 B&W Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT

On sale MAY 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

“WRATH OF THE FIRST LANTERN” epilogue! In the aftermath of their battle against the First Lantern and the Guardians, it’s up to Guy Gardner, John Stewart and the other survivors to try to put the Corps back together, or decide if there should even BE a Corps anymore. Join Peter Tomasi and Fernando Pasarin for the epic conclusion of their run!

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #20

Written by TONY BEDARD

Art by ANDRES GUINALDO

Cover by AARON KUDER

1:25 B&W Variant cover by AARON KUDER

On sale MAY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

“WRATH OF THE FIRST LANTERN” epilogue! As a White Lantern, Kyle played a crucial role in the battle against the First Lantern and the Guardians. But a loss they suffered in the battle has left Kyle devastated, throwing off the control he had over the entire emotional spectrum. Has his time as a White Lantern ended before it’s truly begun? Find out in the conclusion of Tony Bedard’srun!

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

RED LANTERNS #20

Written by PETER MILLIGAN

Art by WILL CONRAD

Cover by MIGUEL SEPULVEDA

1:25 B&W Variant cover by MIGUEL SEPULVEDA

On sale MAY 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

“WRATH OF THE FIRST LANTERN” epilogue! Following the battle against the First Lantern and the Guardians, for the first time in centuriesAtrocitus feels peace. What could possibly calm his legendary rage? And more importantly, what does that mean for the Red Lanterns? A surprising turning point for Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns in this, the conclusion of Peter Milligan’s run!

brightstarr731

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By brightstarr731

Well, I may be a dolt, but I think the Green Lantern mythos has grown too "epic".

I miss the days when he was just a space cop. I really don't like the Jesus Christ persona Hal has now. I really don't like the long ongoing stories. I miss the one shots that were just fun to read. I think the rainbow of different corps is pretty dumb too.

I think it is just an example of the disconnect in DC stories in general. Earth seems petty and dull compared to all the events in GL - until you act like GL doesn't exist. Then the DC universe is cool again.

I love Hal, but he died and should have stayed dead.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Welllll He is writing GOD DAMN 5 DC titles!!!! He is crazyy. I respect his work ethic

Mad Respect

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#145  Edited By Cavemold

wow crazy

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By KnightRise

NOOOOO! I was hoping Simon would be his new baby :((((((((((((((((((

Its been real. Thank you, BasedGeoff.

spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By spiderbuck1

NOoooOooOoooooOOOO00OO00!!!!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Zeeguy91

@AtPhantom: Yeah, he's really not, though. He used to be my favorite writer a few years ago, but since then, I've had a few favorite writers. I'd say my favorite writer right now is a toss up between Scott Snyder, Brian Azzarello, or Mark Waid. I still respect Geoff John, though, and I respect peoples' opinion of him.

I would honestly say the same if this was news about any writer leaving a title, even if I didn't like him. If Scott Lobdell left Teen Titans tomorrow, even though I hate the direction that title has taken under him, I wouldn't post saying that his run was utter garbage because some fans might get offended. I have no problem with people saying how they feel, I just have a problem with the way they've gone about doing it, which has basically been responding to fans and basically telling them that they liked garbage.

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Ren_

I think it's a good thing. Regardless of whether or not you like this work, there gets to be a point where a writer has told all of the stories they have on a character/mythos without rehashing stuff and growing stagnant. I think it's better for people to step out when they've told their stories and allow others to take charge.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Zeeguy91

@KnightRise said:

NOOOOO! I was hoping Simon would be his new baby :((((((((((((((((((

Its been real. Thank you, BasedGeoff.

He'll still be Baz in JLA. I'm looking forward to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.