Follow

Geoff Johns

Person » Geoff Johns is credited in 1567 issues.

Geoff Johns is the CEO for Mad Ghost Productions at Warner Brothers. He previously wrote Action Comics, Justice Society of America, Flash, Aquaman, Teen Titans prior to focusing on movies. He is also known for his historic nine-year run on Green Lantern in which he greatly expanded the mythos.

Film Makers pissed off with Geoff Johns inability on GL

MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MutenRoshi

I've heard a lot of the GL Film Makers got annoyed with Geoff Johns, he's good at doing certain stories for comic books. But him and his tv team seem to have came to the Green Lantern movie with a certain level of incompetence. There have been posts, blogs, vids and websites out there saying the Green Lantern's editors, cinematographers, editors and even actors were unhappy with Geoff Johns input and his team putting too much creative control and comic continuity into a movie that should have been able to fly on its own with its own Directors freedom and make a big box office movie.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Writing for comics is NOT the same as writing for other media.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @The Dark Huntress said:

QFT. 

They should have been there only to dot the i's and cross the T's not much else.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_

@Omega Ray Jay said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

QFT. They should have been there only to dot the i's and cross the T's not much else.

Exactly. They should have been gently guiding, they by no means should have had (nearly) complete creative control.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

Comic creators and film writing don't mix, Look at Daredevil, didn't Kevin Smith write that? 

Usually the Director and Producer have the most control, I don't know how much control Johns had

Bottom Line: Some of the best comic films are born out of people unfamiliar with Comics---Example: X1, X2, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Dark Knight. when guys who spend their life around comics get involved with comic films, "fanboyism" runs wild I believe

MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MutenRoshi

I think he should stick with what he knows best COMICS not movies 
      and even then not all comic book fans are happy with him anymore 
    http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000236640&tstart=0  
    Proof the Geoff Johns has jumped the shark 

Anyway if Warner Bros gets to remake Green Lantern as a movie ever again they should let movie directors do their own thing and keep comic book people away from controlling the next movie set

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dorsk188
    @cattlebattle said:
    Comic creators and film writing don't mix, Look at Daredevil, didn't Kevin Smith write that?   
    You're going to make me defend Kevin Smith, aren't you?  Daredevil was written and directed by some other guy **checks IMDB** Mark Steven Johnson.  There was talk of him writing a script or directing it, but he ultimately passed (I think is the story).  If anything, Smith shouldn't write comics.  I waited for 2 years for him to finish the fourth issue of the Evil that Men Do, and despite bringing together some of my favorite characters, the story was pretty much a horrible retcon of Black Cat being raped in college... 

In any case, anyone connected to that monstrosity of a film shouldn't be allowed near the Green Lantern character or any movie set again.  But fanboyism doesn't necessarily mean an inability to translate material.  Bruce Timm is clearly a fan, and he's been able to adapt DC comics incredibly well to television and feature-length animated films.  Pretty much everything Chris Yost is involved with in terms of animated Marvel property is good, most of it's great, actually.  He and Greg Johnson spent hours in the Wolverine & the X-Men commentaries geeking out and arguing over the most minute fan trivia I've ever heard.  Sure, these aren't full-length live-action, but I think it's evidence being a fan doesn't mean you can't adapt material.  In Johns' case (as well as the director and writers of Lantern), I think it's probably personal problems and a lack of talent.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cattlebattle
    @dorsk188 said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    You're going to make me defend Kevin Smith, aren't you?  Daredevil was written and directed by some other guy **checks IMDB** Mark Steven Johnson.  There was talk of him writing a script or directing it, but he ultimately passed (I think is the story).  If anything, Smith shouldn't write comics.  I waited for 2 years for him to finish the fourth issue of the Evil that Men Do, and despite bringing together some of my favorite characters, the story was pretty much a horrible retcon of Black Cat being raped in college...  In any case, anyone connected to that monstrosity of a film shouldn't be allowed near the Green Lantern character or any movie set again.  But fanboyism doesn't necessarily mean an inability to translate material.  Bruce Timm is clearly a fan, and he's been able to adapt DC comics incredibly well to television and feature-length animated films.  Pretty much everything Chris Yost is involved with in terms of animated Marvel property is good, most of it's great, actually.  He and Greg Johnson spent hours in the Wolverine & the X-Men commentaries geeking out and arguing over the most minute fan trivia I've ever heard.  Sure, these aren't full-length live-action, but I think it's evidence being a fan doesn't mean you can't adapt material.  In Johns' case (as well as the director and writers of Lantern), I think it's probably personal problems and a lack of talent.
    LOL...I love Kevin Smith (I'm from NJ, he's a hero here) I was just unsure about that, thanks for clearing it up.

I disagree with you about Chris Yost though, he's a good comic writer, but questionable at adapting material in my opinion, I'd like to actually get more in to this, but I have to step out just reply to this if you want
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt  Online
    @cattlebattle said:

Comic creators and film writing don't mix, Look at Daredevil, didn't Kevin Smith write that?   Usually the Director and Producer have the most control, I don't know how much control Johns had  Bottom Line: Some of the best comic films are born out of people unfamiliar with Comics---Example: X1, X2, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Dark Knight. when guys who spend their life around comics get involved with comic films, "fanboyism" runs wild I believe

nope, is was written by the same guy who directed it.
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dorsk188
    @cattlebattle: Well, I'll just clarify quickly.  A lot of the animated series Yost has been involved in have questionable art design, but I think they've ultimately gotten the core of the characters, which is the hardest (and most important) part of an adaptation.  I was very skeptical about the recent Fantastic Four series, for example, but on the whole, the stories were pretty enjoyable and the characters fairly well-portrayed.  I can be a solid stick in the mud most of the time, but I actually laughed outloud to a lot of Johnny's antics.  I don't think I've ever found the Human Torch funny before that series.  I went into Iron Man: Armored Adventures expecting to hate it, I despised the animation style, it felt cheap and out-dated.  I didn't like the idea of Stark as a kid, and every character was largely divorced from the originals.  But around the 6th or 8th episode, it really clicked with me, and I'm looking forward to season 2.

So, to sum up: most of the Marvel animated stuff has horrible art design and most of the early episodes on these series are a little rough, but ultimately there's an affection for the source material that comes through.  I'm attributing that to Yost who I think is the story editor for both series...   I guess I don't know for sure where that affection comes from.  There are other guys who were involved with a lot of these projects, too.   Marvel doesn't have their version of Bruce Timm by a long shot, but even though the record's a bit rockier, I would count their animated series as successful adaptations heavily influenced by fanboys .
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle
    @dorsk188 said:
    @cattlebattle: Well, I'll just clarify quickly.  A lot of the animated series Yost has been involved in have questionable art design, but I think they've ultimately gotten the core of the characters, which is the hardest (and most important) part of an adaptation.  I was very skeptical about the recent Fantastic Four series, for example, but on the whole, the stories were pretty enjoyable and the characters fairly well-portrayed.  I can be a solid stick in the mud most of the time, but I actually laughed outloud to a lot of Johnny's antics.  I don't think I've ever found the Human Torch funny before that series.  I went into Iron Man: Armored Adventures expecting to hate it, I despised the animation style, it felt cheap and out-dated.  I didn't like the idea of Stark as a kid, and every character was largely divorced from the originals.  But around the 6th or 8th episode, it really clicked with me, and I'm looking forward to season 2. So, to sum up: most of the Marvel animated stuff has horrible art design and most of the early episodes on these series are a little rough, but ultimately there's an affection for the source material that comes through.  I'm attributing that to Yost who I think is the story editor for both series...   I guess I don't know for sure where that affection comes from.  There are other guys who were involved with a lot of these projects, too.   Marvel doesn't have their version of Bruce Timm by a long shot, but even though the record's a bit rockier, I would count their animated series as successful adaptations heavily influenced by fanboys .
    I would be more inclined to have dislike towards the Marvel Animated movies he worked on. Doctor Strange and Hulk vs are the only good ones, I don't know if there were higher ups forcing him to aim it at younger audiences, but I felt they made the Ultimates (great story) as PG as possible. Also Movies like Next Avengers and Thor Tales of Asgard.....ugh.When you look at DCs track record of solid PG-13 films, it's really quite pathetic.

I'd love to hear the arguing on the Wolverine and The X-Men commentary, I love crap like that. I thought that series was sub-par for its time as well, especially after you watch the X-Men Anime. I felt Wolverine and the X-Men sacrificed a lot of great characters to appeal to the younger audiences, like Kitty, Forge, Iceman. These are the main reasons I dislike his work, when you compare it DCs animation output, its just terrible. I like his writing...more than any other current X-scribe. I think they should put someone else in charge. 

I did enjoy the Fantastic Four series, but as a comedy, I think he was in his element of producing saturday morning kind of product with that show
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Gambit1024
    @cattlebattle said:
    @dorsk188 said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    You're going to make me defend Kevin Smith, aren't you?  Daredevil was written and directed by some other guy **checks IMDB** Mark Steven Johnson.  There was talk of him writing a script or directing it, but he ultimately passed (I think is the story).  If anything, Smith shouldn't write comics.  I waited for 2 years for him to finish the fourth issue of the Evil that Men Do, and despite bringing together some of my favorite characters, the story was pretty much a horrible retcon of Black Cat being raped in college...  In any case, anyone connected to that monstrosity of a film shouldn't be allowed near the Green Lantern character or any movie set again.  But fanboyism doesn't necessarily mean an inability to translate material.  Bruce Timm is clearly a fan, and he's been able to adapt DC comics incredibly well to television and feature-length animated films.  Pretty much everything Chris Yost is involved with in terms of animated Marvel property is good, most of it's great, actually.  He and Greg Johnson spent hours in the Wolverine & the X-Men commentaries geeking out and arguing over the most minute fan trivia I've ever heard.  Sure, these aren't full-length live-action, but I think it's evidence being a fan doesn't mean you can't adapt material.  In Johns' case (as well as the director and writers of Lantern), I think it's probably personal problems and a lack of talent.
    LOL...I love Kevin Smith (I'm from NJ, he's a hero here) I was just unsure about that, thanks for clearing it up. I disagree with you about Chris Yost though, he's a good comic writer, but questionable at adapting material in my opinion, I'd like to actually get more in to this, but I have to step out just reply to this if you want
    :D You're from NJ too? Jersey represent! :)
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By joshmightbe

Geoff Johns doesn't want a character to change, wow there's a shock..........Of course he was a problem the dude can't see past the silver age a.k.a. the most ridiculous period in comics history 

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Gambit1024 said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    @dorsk188 said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    LOL...I love Kevin Smith (I'm from NJ, he's a hero here) I was just unsure about that, thanks for clearing it up. I disagree with you about Chris Yost though, he's a good comic writer, but questionable at adapting material in my opinion, I'd like to actually get more in to this, but I have to step out just reply to this if you want
    :D You're from NJ too? Jersey represent! :)
    Hell Yes!! pump a fist!!
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dorsk188
    @cattlebattle: I see where you're coming from.  Maybe my expectations are too low for Marvel animated stuff.  Compared to the mid-90's, the modern slate of shows are definitely better (with the arguable exception of the original X-Men series), so maybe I'm being a Pollyanna.  Compared to DC, I certainly agree Marvel's stuck in the minor leagues.  You're definitely right that Yost seems most comfortable in the Saturday morning mold, but I think it works for some heroes (Fantastic Four) where it doesn't for others.  I think one of the things Marvel really needs is someone with a strong personal art style (like Timm) to provide some consistency...
    katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By katanalauncher

It's funny that Geoff Johns wants to keep the integrity of his own stories, but he retcon other writer's stories without a second thought.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Icon

@katanalauncher said:

It's funny that Geoff Johns wants to keep the integrity of his own stories, but he retcon other writer's stories without a second thought.

Exactly!! QFT

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Zoom
    @katanalauncher said:
    It's funny that Geoff Johns wants to keep the integrity of his own stories, but he retcon other writer's stories without a second thought.
    Lol.
    MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MutenRoshi

Green Lantern flop a ‘blip’ for superhero genre says Mark Millar 

http://entertainment.stv.tv/film/260692-green-lantern-flop-a-blip-for-superhero-genre-says-mark-millar/ 

Kick-Ass and Wanted creator Mark Millar has said that the box office failure of Green Lantern doesn’t represent an overall downturn for the superhero genre – and that it’ll be back stronger than ever next summer.

So the genre is still strong, DC/Warner just failed to capitalize on the summer season
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @katanalauncher: Such is comic book life.
    Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hoboseid

@joshmightbe said:

Geoff Johns doesn't want a character to change, wow there's a shock..........Of course he was a problem the dude can't see past the silver age a.k.a. the most ridiculous period in comics history

now that everything is fixed and tweaked for the new52 Universe I don't think we should see any more rewrites and geoffjohn retcons. I mean if 6 months down the line they start retconing things already wrote in the 52verse just half a year previous. It then means writers at DC are useless for continuity and can't finish anything or structure any kind of story. As bad as other companies are at least they try to be coherent and keep some kind of continuity in their timelines

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Barring access to info by either being or knowing an "insider" this could just be someone covering their a$$ at the failure of the movie at the box office by passing the buck. I have not read anything on this so this is just a possibility I'm floating out there.

- I'm not saying that Johns was or was not a problem on the set (I have no idea), but a turd of a movie that bad was not ruined by one person

- Do you have links to any articles discussing this so I can see what your basing this off of?

craig_white_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Well in the case of 'The Dark Knight Trilogy' Jonathan Nolan is a life long Batman fan.... and the reason the first films were so in depth with character driven plots is they were influenced by the comics. Eg. Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween....

Awale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Awale

This is total bullshit to me as the movie is pretty much nothing like Geoff Johns' run on the green lantern comic series and is vastly inferior to it. The movie was written by Greg Berlanti and you can sense his work in Arrow (a show he has a lot of creative input in) which I find to be quite inferior to its source material as well. Berlanti to me is a plague and is also why I dislike Arrow. But eh- all just my humble opinion.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

The irony that the folks who made that god awful GL movie are criticizing one of the best comic book writers of all time...Amusing.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@awale: To be honest, this just stinks of using Johns as a scapegoat to me as well. Johns started off in the film business and has worked with Donner for many years so he's not as inexperienced as many users seem to believe.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt  Online
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish the studio didn't come in and screw up his vision. Disney gets Marvel to work with them on their films, and because of that they turn out great.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.