Does anyone like him?

#1 Posted by Spectre108 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've seen a lot of people on here don't like Geoff Johns.

Which maybe I can understand. I personally don't have a problem with him. Sure, he pushed Wally and Kyle to the back and brought back Hal and Barry. Which I imagine is because he can't let go of his childhood. I sure do like Kyle better than Hal.

But you've gotta give him something. I've really enjoyed Justice League and Aquaman so far. And I love and own both Blackest Night and Infinite Crisis.

So what do you think? Love him? Hate him? What's your opinion?

#2 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes people do.

#3 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the internet, everyone bitch about something.

I have plenty of problems with his style of writing, but in the end he writes fun stories.

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24434 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not a bad writer I just don't like his treatment of certain characters

#5 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you kidding? I love the man. Aquaman quickly rose up to being one of my all-time favorite superheroes because of him.

The only things that he grinded my gears about were neglecting Kyle Rayner and the whole Martian Manhunter not being a part of the original JLA roster thing, but because of Aquaman, all is forgiven.

#6 Posted by Atomic_Punk (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Johns stuff, especially the GL stuff. Blackest NIght, War of the Green Lanterns and Flashpoint were all fantastic. Brightest Day was good for the most part... til the anti-climactic Captain Planet ending. But yeah, it's the internet were liking anything is lame and haters are wayyy too vocal.

#7 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10899 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

He's not a bad writer I just don't like his treatment of certain characters

This says it all. He's a good writer, he just doesn't treat certain characters well. He's like one of those teachers in elementary school who clearly shows favoritism and makes the non-favorites feel like shit (in this case, makes the non-favorites cease to exist.)@Atomic_Punk said:

Love Johns stuff, especially the GL stuff. Blackest NIght, War of the Green Lanterns and Flashpoint were all fantastic. Brightest Day was good for the most part... til the anti-climactic Captain Planet ending. But yeah, it's the internet were liking anything is lame and haters are wayyy too vocal.

I HATED the end of Brightest Day. I was like WTF MATE.

#8 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand how he's mistreated Kyle and Wally by not writing them....if you were a comic book writer of his stature wouldn't you write away to bring your favorite characters back and put them in the spotlight? of course you would....that's the whole point of becoming a comic book writer...so you can write your favorite characters

#9 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

I gripe about him sometimes but at the end of the day I like him and his stories.

#10 Posted by The_Tree (7037 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him.

#11 Posted by ombla2 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him... look what he did to Aquaman dude.

#12 Posted by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio

sure he has fans.
BB

#13 Posted by darth_fletcher (262 posts) - - Show Bio

As a marvel fan i don't really read alot of DC stuff but if i do it tends to be Geoff Johns stuff and think he is a very good writer and would love to see him improve some of the marvel issues !!!

#14 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

@ombla2 said:

I like him... look what he did to Aquaman dude.

Right, respect. Guy has done a lot for Lantern over the past few years. A character I didn't care for at all for a year ago. Same as Aquaman, his work on Aquaman right now is literally making that character worth something for the first time.

#15 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

He has work that I don't like but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's done good with Green Lantern (Sinestro fan) and Aquaman.

#16 Posted by Lvenger (17814 posts) - - Show Bio

His work on Green Lantern and Justice Society was fantastic. He's brought Aquaman back into style again and his stories for the most part are fun. Brightest Day I hated immensely and whilst I've grown to like Hal and Barry as Green Lantern and the Flash again, the fact that Kyle and Wally have been shoved aside seems like a poor move.

#17 Posted by inferiorego (21094 posts) - - Show Bio

He reinvents characters with a cluttered history that have become uninteresting and makes it accessible to new readers. I love the man.

Staff
#18 Posted by Icarusflies (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff is fantastic.

Moderator Online
#19 Posted by tensor (3831 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego:

i 2nd that

#20 Posted by Icarusflies (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

Also:

Me with Geoff Johns. All arguments against him are invalid.
Moderator Online
#21 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont think he has a good imagination. the creation of the rainbow corps was ridiculous, its like something a twelve year old would come up with. his writing is extremely predictable and immature, plus his dialogue is laughable sometimes. the first arc on jl was a complete disaster, i honestly cant understand how people can say otherwise. aquaman is ok but not good. i wonder if the people who say its great have actually read it or just the solicitalions. "oooooh he made aquaman cool" this is just not true. he walks out of a restaraunt in a huff because some guy said he was no ones favourite hero then later when a kid said he was his fave hero, he started crying! not cool.

#22 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

he said no one had ever written about why atlantis sunk but i thought i read something about that before. cant be sure tho

#23 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I do.

I know others that don't.

#24 Posted by Onemoreposter (3862 posts) - - Show Bio

I read people writing they like his GL work because it made it accessible and some didn't even care for GL till Geof. Thats cool I guess. To hell with the fans who enjoyed all the years of cannon he decided just to chuck out the window. To hell with character development. Let just retcon everything.

I see people writing that he's made Aquaman a great character. Aquaman has always been a great character. Please see Aquaman vol.2, the Atlantis Chronicles, Justice, and Grant Morrison's JLA (among others). You know, it's sorta unfair to say a character has never been good if you've never read the character.

His new JLA is...subpar...at best. I don't think people realize how much having Jim Lee's art helps.

I try not to hate on him to much because really there's nothing I can do about it, but since you asked my opinion, I think the man is a hack. Johns is to comics what Michael Bay is movies. They both love lots of explosions, make alot of money, sh*t all over anything that's come before them, and pander to people who don't want to think to hard and love the obvious (not that there's anything wrong with being one of those people). Is everything he's done terrible? No. Everyone has a good day at least now and again.

Yellow space cockroach. There's no point ranting about it individually since I covered the general idea. Just imagine I said those three words with utter disdain.

#25 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

He's awesome!

#26 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3453 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends. He wrote one of my all time favorite Superman stories, so he can't be all bad.

#27 Posted by BlackArmor (6133 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff is awesome! He brought me into comics

#28 Edited by midnightmare (98 posts) - - Show Bio

He ruined the Teen Titans, yes they sold well, but he tuned what had became a group of young heroes trying to make things on their own right(like Wolfman and Perez made them) into a JL tribute band(like in the sixties) where everymember must be a sidekick or rip off of an adult superhero. And individualy he tuned Casey and Bart(who had their own personalities) in to cheap knock offs of Donna Troy and Wally West just to resemble pre- crisis on Infinite Earths Teen Titans.

#29 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Solid writer. No problems with the man.

#30 Posted by Twentyfive (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

I need Johns to do what he did with GL to Cyborg. NOW JOHNS!!!!!

#31 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

I've grown to admire his writing after reading a few of his titles.

#32 Edited by modunhanul (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, Johns is my favorite writer. I loved Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, Green Lantern Rebirth, Flash Rebirth, Infinite Crisis, JSA Thy Kingdom Come, Booster Gold 52 Pick Up, Aquaman. However, his work of new 52 Justice League is... well, I don't hate it, but it's not my favorite Johns' work.

#33 Posted by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

made some very good books, helped push DC in solid directions

but he is easily one of the worst Batman writers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.