Follow

Geoff Johns

Person » Geoff Johns is credited in 1563 issues.

Geoff Johns is the CEO for Mad Ghost Productions at Warner Brothers. He previously wrote Action Comics, Justice Society of America, Flash, Aquaman, Teen Titans prior to focusing on movies. He is also known for his historic nine-year run on Green Lantern in which he greatly expanded the mythos.

DC Prodigy

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

There isnt a single comic i have read by Geoff that i thought wsa bad for DC. Im not sure if he has even written anythhing for Marvel but i know that im glad they have him to help out. He seems like he is single handedly changing the entire DCU (in a good way, also i know other help him)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

I had a really hard time getting into DC titles before he started writing pretty much all of DC's books

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Zoom

@DEGRAAF said:

"There isnt a single comic i have read by Geoff that i thought was bad for DC"

I respectfully disagree.

I don't think he did a particularly good job on Action Comics, his run on Titans, while not terrible, wasn't nearly as good as Wolfman's Titans or David's Young Justice and I think he utterly fails to capture the spirit of Barry Allen in Flash Rebirth.  I also think that while Infinite Crisis was a fairly good story, he spent so much time paying homage to Marv Wolfman and George Perez's original storyline that the book is completely overshadowed by a comic series written twenty years earlier.

That said, I do generally like his work on Green Lantern, especially the Sinestro Corps and Blackest Night storylines and he's done a world of good for the Flash and JSA, especially when it came to bringing villains like Black Adam and the Rogues back into the spotlight.  52, Booster Gold, Legion of Three Worlds and Rogues Revenge have all been outstanding as well.

Overall, I find him a MUCH better person to leave in charge of a comic universe than Bendis but he's not perfect.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Zoom said:
    "

@DEGRAAF said:

"There isnt a single comic i have read by Geoff that i thought was bad for DC"

I respectfully disagree.

I don't think he did a particularly good job on Action Comics, his run on Titans, while not terrible, wasn't nearly as good as Wolfman's Titans or David's Young Justice and I think he utterly fails to capture the spirit of Barry Allen in Flash Rebirth.  I also think that while Infinite Crisis was a fairly good story, he spent so much time paying homage to Marv Wolfman and George Perez's original storyline that the book is completely overshadowed by a comic series written twenty years earlier.

That said, I do generally like his work on Green Lantern, especially the Sinestro Corps and Blackest Night storylines and he's done a world of good for the Flash and JSA, especially when it came to bringing villains like Black Adam and the Rogues back into the spotlight.  52, Booster Gold, Legion of Three Worlds and Rogues Revenge have all been outstanding as well.

Overall, I find him a MUCH better person to leave in charge of a comic universe than Bendis but he's not perfect.

"

see ive never read action comics while he was writing them and ive never read titans at all. I am reading Flash rebirth and i agree with you, its just not catching me and making me care as much as i did when i read GL: Rebirth.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Zoom

I only read his Brainiac arc of Action Comics and I hated it.  Brainiac was just about the dumbest super genius ever.  His durability fluxuated from issue to issue and his backstory didn't really fit with any Brainiac story that I had ever read.

His Teen Titans book was basically a combination of Peyer's Titans (which honestly sucked) and David's Young Justice (which was brilliant).  The problem was that Johns didn't write any of the Young Justice characters as anything like they were in Young Justice, their solo books, their mentor's books, ect.  Superboy didn't act like Superboy.  Wonder Girl didn't act like Wonder Girl.  He also put Raven in high school despite the fact that she was too old to be in high school back in the 80s and he gave Beast Boy pointy ears and said he smelled like a dog.  As a long time Titans/Young Justice reader, I strongly disliked this.  He does capture Cyborg and Starfire's characters very well though.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Feliciano2040

He has destroyed the Green Lantern Universe with his abnormal amount of retcons and changes to the mythos, he is NOWHERE near what I would consider a great writer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.